Setting SHORT-TERM goals

Options
We all have our long-term goals but a lot of people forget to set short-term goals. What are some of your short-term goals you guys set and (hopefully) reach on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? Long-term reward feels amazing but we also need short-term rewards! That race to the finish line in 100 degree weather will always feel better with a few cold rain showers a long the way!

Some short-term/weird daily/weekly things that I do:

Cut out a specific type of food that day (such as bread) or eat more of a certain item (like veggies)

Have multiple goals on cardio - that way even if I "cut it short", I'll still be reaching at least one of my goals and feel good instead of guilty. For example, calories, miles, vertical feet, time, etc goals.

When leaning out for a something I make sure to remind myself that the mirror is the best judge of bodyfat, not the scale (only weigh myself once a week)

I also find that just general short-term goals in life go hand-in-hand with keeping you motivated in the gym/on your diet. They make you feel good/give you confidence and push you further. One of my big "life" short-term goals is to read everyday!

Replies

• FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Good Post! I love to set daily weekly goals etc. It keeps me focused and challenged:-)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    20lbs by St. Patrick's Day. I'm starting to make a dent in it, haha. I still have a long way to go after that.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    my goal is to learn how to make tasty great meals that fit within my calories. to not look at it s deprivation..just being smarter in meal preparation...i'm embracing exotic spices. Looking to indian influences..chilies..and creative way to make sauces that make eating healthy like eating bad. lol.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    10 lbs by valetines day. 1.5 min faster per mile this month =D
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    my goal is to learn how to make tasty great meals that fit within my calories. to not look at it s deprivation..just being smarter in meal preparation...i'm embracing exotic spices. Looking to indian influences..chilies..and creative way to make sauces that make eating healthy like eating bad. lol.

Ooo I love indian. I bet curried cauliflower would be fantastic. Anyone have recipes?
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    Love this! I have my ultimate goal of getting down to 125, but because I'm starting at nearly 400 lbs, 276 lbs to lose can seem kind of daunting. So I have cut that weight into mini goals for myself. Once I reach that weight, I want to treat myself with something special and non-food related: a mani/pedi, some new clothes, a new pair of shoes, something that will build confidence and make me eager to reach that next 25 lb. mark.

I love your idea of setting daily goals though. Instead of looking at something as deprivation, it's better to reform that idea into a goal... You're absolutely right. And I'm still learning to set my mind straight and view getting healthy as being a positive experience.
  • JamieS04
    Options
    You know i never thought of a short term goal as doing something as simple as cutting bread out for one or a couple of days, what a great idea! I've always tthought of short term goals as wieghing "X" amount by this date and then "X" amount by that date, to finally add up to my grand number of lbs lost.
    Thanks for the new perspective...i'm already thinking of tons of new short term goals:smile:
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    short term goals......................... get atleast one day of strength traning in a week to boost my matabolism, ive already cut fresh veg out of my diet unless its home grown reasons of my own.
    great post its got mi mind on over drive to set some more goals x
  • digitalxhottie
    Options
    WoW - youre totally right! I havent even though about "short term" goals. I just keep thinking if I am 25 lbs lighter Ill feel better and can start focusing on toning!! Putting it into daily, weekly, and even monthly goals makes it easier to think about and probably achieve. Thank you for posting!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about using this idea concerning fitness goals… my most immediate goal is to be 2lbs lighter than my last weigh in at my next dr appt (my 16wk pre-natal appt). I'm joining the university gym that my husband attends (mostly because they have a pool!), and I will have to implement this strategy. Thanks!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I have a short term (6 month) weight goal. After seeing what I'm eating, I'm trying to include more calcium...I hadn't realized how very little I was taking in!

After that I'll start looking at my sugar intake, which is still higher than I'd like.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Increase my avg. cycling speed by 5mph by march. Be able to hike again. Recuce sugar & carb intake. Right now I'm recovering from a mild, exercise induced heart attack. So slow & easy for now.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat more delicious things.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    marinate cauliflower in curry sauce then oven cook it
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have short goals every day!

1. Get to the gym...done
    2. 35 mins on the elliptical..wait, no...i can do 10 more...wait no, i can do 10 more.
    3. can i get on the tredmill? Hell yes I can...goal 10 mins...wait, i can do a few more mins.

Food goals:
    not eating like CRAP
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    1. To get back to spin class once a week
    2. obtain 4.0 USTA tennis ranking
    3. do a real pull up

Long term goal is to get to a weight of 165#!
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    By Valentines day, Id like to fit BACK into my white demin skinny jeans. Thats one size. Thats completely possible. I will win!
  • changejen2013
    Options
    For me, I have many short term goals. Such as by June 1st I'd like to be down to 140lbs then take the rest of the year to weight train. I'd also like to lose 10lbs each month to get there that way I stay on track. I've got about 2 more pounds to lose this month to reach my goal ahead of schedule...I'd love it if I could stay ahead of schedule.

I plan on working out Monday through Friday starting in February and to get a gym membership in the summer months too. My goals aren't really goals per say but they work for me. Oh and I have a $200 gift card for old navy to shop with this summer once I lose the weight...that is a great motivator too.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get through Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30....6 days a week, doing 3 days, 1 day of rest, 3 days on. When I get through this first week, I'll be super proud of myself lol