People Afraid To Mention Your Weight Loss?

Options
littlewhittles
littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
I've had a lot of people ask if I've lost weight, and congratulate me. However, I've had two people who seemed hesitant to mention it. A fellow derby skater was part of a conversation I was having about it, and she said, "I didn't want to mention it, but I've noticed." And my friend's mother last night said, "I didn't want to say anything, but you look thinner," when I said I was trying to eat healthier.

Why don't they want to say anything? Do they think it will insult me, insinuating I was fat before? It doesn't bother me, it was just a weird behavior I've noticed.

Anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• TigvaDraga
    TigvaDraga Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hahaha YEP!!!!!! My family has done the same with me, and friends have as well. It's annoying because sometimes you want to be like "I LOST 27 POUNDS AND YOU ARE TELLING ME YOU CAN'T TELL????" but that would be crazy...right? hahah
    One of my sisters told me on my birthday, after another one commented on how great I looked, said to me "you did NOT lose that much weight Rachael" and I was taken aback...because I have gone from a size 12/13 to a 9/8 in 5 months, that is pretty significant if you ask me. BUT maybe she just sees me too often to notice that drastic of a lose? Either way, people are weird. I always congratulate my friends on their weight loss, maybe it's just because I know the struggle and time and effort that goes into it? Either way, CONGRATS LADY!
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hahaha YEP!!!!!! My family has done the same with me, and friends have as well. It's annoying because sometimes you want to be like "I LOST 27 POUNDS AND YOU ARE TELLING ME YOU CAN'T TELL????" but that would be crazy...right? hahah
    One of my sisters told me on my birthday, after another one commented on how great I looked, said to me "you did NOT lose that much weight Rachael" and I was taken aback...because I have gone from a size 12/13 to a 9/8 in 5 months, that is pretty significant if you ask me. BUT maybe she just sees me too often to notice that drastic of a lose? Either way, people are weird. I always congratulate my friends on their weight loss, maybe it's just because I know the struggle and time and effort that goes into it? Either way, CONGRATS LADY!

That's weird that she said that. Although when I tell people how much I've lost and that I still have more to lose, they seem shocked. Maybe they just didn't realize how overweight I was? And I think it is harder for people who see you every day - no one I see regularly notices.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    for women nobody talks about that because they don't want to be wrong (also never ask when a lady carrying a newborn is "due").

Men, it's just kind of because we don't comment about that stuff to each other.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    for women nobody talks about that because they don't want to be wrong (also never ask when a lady carrying a newborn is "due").

Hey...you're looking thinner...have you lost weight?
  • plcowner
    plcowner Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had people ask me "are you okay? you've lost alot of weight".

It's nice because of their concern
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

no, I'm bulking...do I really look smaller? dang...gonna have to do another cycle.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

no, I'm bulking...do I really look smaller? dang...gonna have to do another cycle.

Eat more...just sayin'
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of people are scared to mention weight because they don't want to insult you or think that they think you are fat, so they avoid the topic. Don't think nothing of it.
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I said to my boss this morning: I've lost 1.2 lbs this week thats 1/4 of what I put on at christmas so a good start :)
    and she said she thought I was becoming a bit obssessed with weight loss, is it a bad thing to want to eat healthy exercise regularly and lose weight gained over the holidays ? :S
  • Vickiheiss
    Vickiheiss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had the people tell me that I look like I have lost weight and then wonder if it was because of sort of issueI was having like being sick. I now beat them to that question. When they ask if I have lost weight I tell them " Yes,with a lot of hard work, I have!" This seems to be more of a problem for people in their 50's or 60's though where cancer and other problems start to be more prevelant.
  • aadutton
    Options
    Yeah, I work at a fairly big company and might go several weeks or a month without seeing different people...and I've noticed a few people kind of stare a bit too long, in a way I THINK they've noticed, but they don't say anything. So really it just kind of comes off as a bit weird/creepy. A couple people have said something.

I think people are so careful with anything involving a woman's weight though. Where I used to work, there was a lady probably in her 50's who lost a ton of weight, maybe 80 or 100 lbs...and apparently people were saying things and congratulating her/telling her how great she looked. Well, apparently that was NOT the right response, because shortly thereafter everyone got instructed they were NOT to say anything to Sue about her weight loss, as she didn't like it. O...kay. Stories like that are probably why people are hesitant to comment.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're surprised? There's 10 threads here a day where people talk about getting offended by people who notice their weight loss. "I look great now? So you're saying I was a hot mess before? HMPH!"

I would never comment on someone's loss uninvited after reading all of that drama. Unless it was a guy, of course.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i actually have to make a concerted effort not to let it affect me if people mention it. it's like a switch goes off in my head that says if they can tell, i don't need to try so hard. the longer i can go without people saying anything, the better i do - i think i'm weird...
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it strange as well. Then when I went out on a limb and asked my brother if he even noticed because he hadn't commented, he said 'no'. :D Only a brother could get away with that. :P When I wear more fitted clothes I get more comments.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Some people are scared to say something because everyone is different and there are a lot of overly sensitive people....example: i told a friend of mine, oh wow it looks like your loosing weight good for you! they replied, oh THANKS now i look good? ....soooo everyone is different, i personally love it when someone tell me it looks like im shedding pounds but not everyone is the same
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It is rude to comment on someone's weight, unless you know that they have been trying to lose weight.
    They don't know whether you have been trying to lose weight, or have lost weight as a result of some private illness or grief.

(And yes, it does mean they noticed you were fat before and will notice and if you gain weight again).
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I had a neighbour, who had not seen me in over a year, spot me one day and not recognize me.

I stopped and said hello to her and you could see the confusion and then the dawning realization show on her face as she finally recognized me.
    Then she blurted out "oh my god you've have lost so much weight!"
    then immediately after saying that I could see her face blanch, and she obviously instantly was regretting her words.. and the next thing she said was a stumble of apology and whispered concern... basically asking was i ok? had I meant to lose weight? was I ok? Had I been ill?

She was so obviously worried she might have just somehow inadvertently hurt me by reminding me about something bad that might have happened to me, causing me to lose weight... that I suddenly 'got it'... suddenly realized why some people never said a word about my obvious weight loss.

They did not want to risk hurting me/embarass themselves by being hurtful. I had truly never even considered that before.

Yes, i quickly reassured her i was purposely eating better and getting more active so had lost the weight and felt wonderful.

She was so relieved. *LOL* The she would not stop talking about how amazing I looked, to the degree she never even recognized me at first.
    i have to say.. i loved her whole reaction :)
  • aadutton
    Options
    I'd also add that someone recently said something to me about it, mentioning that another someone had noticed and told them I was losing weight. She then congratulated me, etc. Her reaction was perfectly fine. But, that other someone (the person who told her) has never said anything directly to me. Also, he's a guy. Find that a bit weird/odd/rude. If you're not going to say anything to me, don't talk about it with other people...?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it strange as well. Then when I went out on a limb and asked my brother if he even noticed because he hadn't commented, he said 'no'. :D Only a brother could get away with that. :P When I wear more fitted clothes I get more comments.

i can beat that...
    my HUSBAND said he could not see any difference... until one day while grocery shopping... he passed by the end of the aisle i was in, twice, while looking for me... (i never noticed him as i was busy reading labels *L*)
    finally, i heard him laughing, walking up the aisle towards me, saying 'ok, that's bad.. i guess you have lost weight, i did not even recognize you... twice!"

Best compliment from him ever *LOL*
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I accept hearing "you've lost weight" and even "you've gained weight" across the board. Why? Because I KNOW the truth. I know when I've lost and when I've put on. It's kinda hard to cover up. Maybe that's because I'm not someone to wear loose clothing.

What's annoying to me is the question. It's kinda like, if you drop 30 pounds and people ask you, "Have you lost weight?" it's like, wtf, DUH! I feel like I'd better respond to someone saying "Wow, you lost weight!"