Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

the "do what works for you" advice

This gets thrown around a lot...

Should I eat back my exercise cals? Do what works for you.
Should I limit carbs? Do what works for you.
Should I get a HRM? Do what works for you.
Should I log my dinner if I just threw it up 10 minutes later? Do what works for you.
Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you.

The science behind what causes weight loss, weight gain, muscle growth, strength increases, cardiovascular health, etc IS ALL THE SAME. My body works the same as your body which works the same as everyone else's on this site (with the only significant difference being people with legitimate health issues, like diabetes, etc.).

What varies, what falls under the "what works for you" umbrella is the method.

People need to sustain a healthy caloric deficit to lose weight. Period. That's the science part. The method is how you get there. Whole foods alone works. Prepared foods alone work. Diet with zumba works. Diet with 15 minutes of running works. Diet with 4 hours of cycling works. Diet with free weights works. Diet with weight machines works. Diet with 5lb weights works. Diet with 400lbs works. Eating back exercise cals works. Not eating them back works. Etc. There are dozens of ways to skin the cat... but what you're doing doesn't change (the skinning of the cat), it's the HOW that changes.

As a side note, it is worth mentioning that goals play a role in this too. The more specific your goals get, and the more "accomplished" you become towards those goals, then less wiggle room you may have in trying different methods. If you're at 8% BF and looking to add 5lbs of lean muscle, the treadmill probably isn't your best bet. So goals do play a role in this as well.

Replies

• Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    well said jackson there are so many avenues one can take to obtain their specific goals it's not rocket science as i often say, but people tend to put so much effort in the gym without any sense of direction dude.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Testify!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    :bigsmile:
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Should I log my dinner if I just threw it up 10 minutes later? Do what works for you.
    Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you

these two literally made me chuckle a little heh

Well said though
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Where's the LOVE button?!
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    thank you! :bigsmile:
  • angelz_love
    angelz_love Posts: 36 Member
    VERY ( incredibly) good point! I will be sure to caution how I give the advice of "do what works for you"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you

Well said though

I've seen that first one asked as a serious question several times.
  • Absolutely GREAT post.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Amen!!! Love this post! :)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Fantastic!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member

Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you.

The science behind what causes weight loss, weight gain, muscle growth, strength increases, cardiovascular health, etc IS ALL THE SAME. My body works the same as your body which works the same as everyone else's on this site (with the only significant difference being people with legitimate health issues, like diabetes, etc.).

People need to sustain a healthy caloric deficit to lose weight. Period. That's the science part. The method is how you get there. Whole foods alone works. Prepared foods alone work. Diet with zumba works. Diet with 15 minutes of running works. Diet with 4 hours of cycling works. Diet with free weights works. Diet with weight machines works. Diet with 5lb weights works. Diet with 400lbs works. Eating back exercise cals works. Not eating them back works. Etc. There are dozens of ways to skin the cat... but what you're doing doesn't change (the skinning of the cat), it's the HOW that changes.

As a side note, it is worth mentioning that goals play a role in this too. The more specific your goals get, and the more "accomplished" you become towards those goals, then less wiggle room you may have in trying different methods. If you're at 8% BF and looking to add 5lbs of lean muscle, the treadmill probably isn't your best bet. So goals do play a role in this as well.

Jackson, I know the point you're trying to make and I agree with it but you need to be careful with your generalizations. Not everybodys' bodies work in the same way. We all have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity for instance. We all have different levels and distribution of alpha and beta receptors. Between men and women there are generalized differences that apply in terms of hormone levels and such. All of this affects the science behind what we do in terms of gaining/losing weight. While in highly generalized terms there are commonalities, you can't discount the wide variations in how genetics seriously impacts our metabolic processes. These differences are a big part of why what works for one person does not work for another (there are of course psychological reasons as well).

So I do agree with you that at the end of the day, insulin does the same thing in all of us (although to widely varying degrees) and at the end it's about calories in and calories out. But don't get too blinded to the real differences that do directly impact the science behind all of this as well.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Great post, we can get lots of support via MFP but at the end of the day we each know our own bodies best. Take all the tips you can from this site, and eat less and move more is my basic principle. Sound advice here for new joiners
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

Well said though

I've seen that first one asked as a serious question several times.

They are all asked pretty regularly.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    :laugh: :flowerforyou: Like***
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    If everyone lifted they wouldn't have to worry about the calorie
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    This doesn't work for me...
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member

Jackson, I know the point you're trying to make and I agree with it but you need to be careful with your generalizations. Not everybodys' bodies work in the same way. We all have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity for instance. We all have different levels and distribution of alpha and beta receptors. Between men and women there are generalized differences that apply in terms of hormone levels and such. All of this affects the science behind what we do in terms of gaining/losing weight. While in highly generalized terms there are commonalities, you can't discount the wide variations in how genetics seriously impacts our metabolic processes. These differences are a big part of why what works for one person does not work for another (there are of course psychological reasons as well).

So I do agree with you that at the end of the day, insulin does the same thing in all of us (although to widely varying degrees) and at the end it's about calories in and calories out. But don't get too blinded to the real differences that do directly impact the science behind all of this as well.

THIS
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    If everyone lifted they wouldn't have to worry about the calorie

But not everyone wants to, or even LIKES to. And it's not the only way to get results.
  • *Like* (How I wish there would be a like button here as well)