Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

the "do what works for you" advice

Replies

• JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Word!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Testify!

Can I get an Amen!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If everyone lifted they wouldn't have to worry about the calorie
    I lift. I've lifted (heavy) for about 15 years.
    And I know that this isn't quite true.:smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Honestly? I think a lot of people say "Do what works for you" because after several, several times of posting long, thought out answers that come from a lot of personal experience, dedication, etc....... just to have the OP (((argue))) with you about it, and tell you that you're wrong for your own opinion and how that could not possibly work for them etc, you just start typing things like that after a while. That's horribly frustrating and just the nature of forums.
  • If everyone lifted they wouldn't have to worry about the calorie

But not everyone wants to, or even LIKES to. And it's not the only way to get results.
    Not to sound rude but it seems that most of those who are contradicting advice about the benefits of weight lifting are women. And yet some ever wonder why their cellulites, muffin tops or thunder thighs don't seem to go away despite doing lots of cardio and eating 1200 calories. Yes weights is not the only way to get results but so does cardio + diet alone combo. You need those 3 to work whether you like it or not, PERIOD!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member

But not everyone wants to, or even LIKES to. And it's not the only way to get results.
    Not to sound rude but it seems that those who are anti-weight lifting are all women. Have some of you ever wonder why your cellulites, muffin tops or thunder thighs don't seem to go away despite doing lots of cardio and eating 1200 calories? Cardio and diet alone won't fo the trick, PERIOD!

I'm not anti-lifting, I'm just saying it's not the only way to get results. I strength train, but with low weights and high reps. It's toned my arms, and it's made my lose inches off my thighs. So for ME, it works. I can't speak for anyone else. But this silly idea that all women need to lift heavy to see results is prevalent on the forums and it's irritating because it's not the ONLY way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Honestly? I think a lot of people say "Do what works for you" because after several, several times of posting long, thought out answers that come from a lot of personal experience, dedication, etc....... just to have the OP (((argue))) with you about it, and tell you that you're wrong for your own opinion and how that could not possibly work for them etc, you just start typing things like that after a while. That's horribly frustrating and just the nature of forums.

I agree with this (and the OP)

Even in this thread, someone disagrees. Everyone is a special snowflake whose body functions vastly different from the next special snow flake.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Jackson, I know the point you're trying to make and I agree with it but you need to be careful with your generalizations. Not everybodys' bodies work in the same way. We all have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity for instance. We all have different levels and distribution of alpha and beta receptors. Between men and women there are generalized differences that apply in terms of hormone levels and such. All of this affects the science behind what we do in terms of gaining/losing weight. While in highly generalized terms there are commonalities, you can't discount the wide variations in how genetics seriously impacts our metabolic processes. These differences are a big part of why what works for one person does not work for another (there are of course psychological reasons as well).

So I do agree with you that at the end of the day, insulin does the same thing in all of us (although to widely varying degrees) and at the end it's about calories in and calories out. But don't get too blinded to the real differences that do directly impact the science behind all of this as well.

But short of a real medical condition, insulin sensitivity, difference in hormone levels, and the like are not going to be different ENOUGH to suggest that what works for one person will not work at all for someone else. The main differences are mental. Some people are willing to make sacrifices and work hard, and some people only THINK they are.

I understand that as a petite female, my BMR is much lower than a large male's, and I'd burn far fewer calories doing the exact same workout as said large male. Those are differences, sure. And it may take me longer to get to my goals because of those differences. But the PROCESS is the same (i.e. eat fewer calories than you burn). There are no genetic factors that make that less true for me than for anyone else.
  • Excellent post! Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    This gets thrown around a lot...

Should I eat back my exercise cals? Do what works for you.
    Should I limit carbs? Do what works for you.
    Should I get a HRM? Do what works for you.
    Should I log my dinner if I just threw it up 10 minutes later? Do what works for you.
    Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you.

The science behind what causes weight loss, weight gain, muscle growth, strength increases, cardiovascular health, etc IS ALL THE SAME. My body works the same as your body which works the same as everyone else's on this site (with the only significant difference being people with legitimate health issues, like diabetes, etc.).

What varies, what falls under the "what works for you" umbrella is the method.

People need to sustain a healthy caloric deficit to lose weight. Period. That's the science part. The method is how you get there. Whole foods alone works. Prepared foods alone work. Diet with zumba works. Diet with 15 minutes of running works. Diet with 4 hours of cycling works. Diet with free weights works. Diet with weight machines works. Diet with 5lb weights works. Diet with 400lbs works. Eating back exercise cals works. Not eating them back works. Etc. There are dozens of ways to skin the cat... but what you're doing doesn't change (the skinning of the cat), it's the HOW that changes.

As a side note, it is worth mentioning that goals play a role in this too. The more specific your goals get, and the more "accomplished" you become towards those goals, then less wiggle room you may have in trying different methods. If you're at 8% BF and looking to add 5lbs of lean muscle, the treadmill probably isn't your best bet. So goals do play a role in this as well.

Jackson, I know the point you're trying to make and I agree with it but you need to be careful with your generalizations. Not everybodys' bodies work in the same way. We all have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity for instance. We all have different levels and distribution of alpha and beta receptors. Between men and women there are generalized differences that apply in terms of hormone levels and such. All of this affects the science behind what we do in terms of gaining/losing weight. While in highly generalized terms there are commonalities, you can't discount the wide variations in how genetics seriously impacts our metabolic processes. These differences are a big part of why what works for one person does not work for another (there are of course psychological reasons as well).

So I do agree with you that at the end of the day, insulin does the same thing in all of us (although to widely varying degrees) and at the end it's about calories in and calories out. But don't get too blinded to the real differences that do directly impact the science behind all of this as well.
    Not necessarily. The reason why you can't lose weight as well as someone else because of insulin sensitive, diabetes, PCOS and other dysfunction is clearly understood by your body and has made the adjustment which has made it more difficult for that person, the only thing left is for you to figure out the best course of action.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Should I log my dinner if I just threw it up 10 minutes later? Do what works for you.
    Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you

these two literally made me chuckle a little heh

Well said though

I've seen that first one asked as a serious question several times.

They are all asked pretty regularly.

Admittedly, I only go to the chit chat section occassionally, but I have yet to see a post about a bf cheating with a dog (unless we are talking about the common usage of 'female dog') :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    This gets thrown around a lot...

Should I eat back my exercise cals? Do what works for you.
    Should I limit carbs? Do what works for you.
    Should I get a HRM? Do what works for you.
    Should I break up with my BF who's cheating on me with my sister's dog? Do what works for you.

The science behind what causes weight loss, weight gain, muscle growth, strength increases, cardiovascular health, etc IS ALL THE SAME. My body works the same as your body which works the same as everyone else's on this site (with the only significant difference being people with legitimate health issues, like diabetes, etc.).

What varies, what falls under the "what works for you" umbrella is the method.

People need to sustain a healthy caloric deficit to lose weight. Period. That's the science part. The method is how you get there. Whole foods alone works. Prepared foods alone work. Diet with zumba works. Diet with 15 minutes of running works. Diet with 4 hours of cycling works. Diet with free weights works. Diet with weight machines works. Diet with 5lb weights works. Diet with 400lbs works. Eating back exercise cals works. Not eating them back works. Etc. There are dozens of ways to skin the cat... but what you're doing doesn't change (the skinning of the cat), it's the HOW that changes.

As a side note, it is worth mentioning that goals play a role in this too. The more specific your goals get, and the more "accomplished" you become towards those goals, then less wiggle room you may have in trying different methods. If you're at 8% BF and looking to add 5lbs of lean muscle, the treadmill probably isn't your best bet. So goals do play a role in this as well.

Not necessarily. The reason why you can't lose weight as well as someone else because of insulin sensitive, diabetes, PCOS and other dysfunction is clearly understood by your body and has made the adjustment which has made it more difficult for that person, the only thing left is for you to figure out the best course of action.

Agreed! And with the exception of things like diabetes, insulin insensitivity and the like that effects a small part of the overall population, we function more alike than differently. To focus on the differences is to get caught up in the trees and not seeing the forest. Differences in metabolism are slight. There can be a 10 to 15% variance. So, figure out your real TDEE through calulators and experimentation and eat at it to maintain or less than it to lose. All the subjective factors don't trump the energy balance equation in the end. We are not all special and unique snowflakes and it's a sucker's game to believe we are. Great post Jackson!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    So you're saying I can't count my coke zero as water?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

Do what works for you!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member

Do what works for you!

but...but...but...

9cf.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I think the "do what works for you advice" works for things that are a matter of personal preference, such as meal timing, calorie distribution, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

I know plenty of people that lift regularly and eat too many calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Amen.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I know plenty of people that lift regularly and eat too many calories.

I only know a few people that lift heavy, but about half of them could stand to lose a few lbs. And at least one has high cholesterol. Muscles are not a cure for everything.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

But short of a real medical condition, insulin sensitivity, difference in hormone levels, and the like are not going to be different ENOUGH to suggest that what works for one person will not work at all for someone else. The main differences are mental. Some people are willing to make sacrifices and work hard, and some people only THINK they are.

I understand that as a petite female, my BMR is much lower than a large male's, and I'd burn far fewer calories doing the exact same workout as said large male. Those are differences, sure. And it may take me longer to get to my goals because of those differences. But the PROCESS is the same (i.e. eat fewer calories than you burn). There are no genetic factors that make that less true for me than for anyone else.

Exactly. Even when people go, "Eating 500 calories works for me... and I had gastric bypass," does not change the way their body functions. It just functions at lower calories because there isn't room for more in an altered stomach. This is just an example.

A further example? I have no thyroid, and my levels often fluctuate and I am CONSTANTLY being tested to see if I need to be readjusted every few months; does that make my body, lacking a pretty vital organ, different? No. My metabolism may be slower and subject to things that fully functioning thyroid people might not have, but my metabolism (even without a thyroid, but with a pill to function as my thyroid) is chemically still the same as other humans.