Worst "healthy" restaurant food

Options
Ok, so I just had a friend tell me they ate a salad for lunch that put them over their entire calorie allotment for the day and then I saw that Chili's new roasted corn guacamole appetizer is a whopping 1180 calories!:huh: It seems we are constantly being sabotaged by horrible bad-for-you food masquerading as "healthy" options on restaurant menus. So the question is:

What is the worst "healthy" item you have ordered at a restaurant?

Replies

• nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    More than 1/2 of the items on the subway menu are worse than a burger. Many people consider that a "Healthy option"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just had a friend tell me they ate a salad for lunch that put them over their entire calorie allotment for the day and then I saw that Chili's new roasted corn guacamole appetizer is a whopping 1180 calories!:huh: It seems we are constantly being sabotaged by horrible bad-for-you food masquerading as "healthy" options on restaurant menus. So the question is:

Aren't appetizers meant to be shared? If the ingredients are anything like what's in the link, then it sounds *very* healthy to me:

http://restaurant.betterrecipes.com/chilis-fire-grilled-corn-guacamole.html
  • nightengale7
    Options

Aren't appetizers meant to be shared? If the ingredients are anything like what's in the link, then it sounds *very* healthy to me:

It is meant to be shared, but the calories are up there above the chicken nachos, which I find kinda crazy
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Advertised as a 'healthy option' tuna mayo and cucumber on a freshly baked baguette. (estro) came out as a HUGE baguette which i couldnt even finish! White bread (which wasn't specified) and a mere 3 bits of lonely cucumber and gallons of mayo!
    (you couldn't see the baguette before you bought it, they bring it to your table) racked up about 800 calories! could not believe it!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

It is meant to be shared, but the calories are up there above the chicken nachos, which I find kinda crazy

But avocados are very high in calories and fat, so i think it should be expected that the calories will be high. But now you know!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Well *one* avacado is like 276 calories, so four of them would mean 1100 calories. (which means most of the calories are the avacado) But they are *VERY* nutritious and beneficial to our health.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't know about unhealthy, per say, but Panera's food is ungodly high in calories. Even the veggie sandwich tops out around 800 calories. Macro-wise it's probably loads better, but I was so deluded all these years thinking I was eating healthy there!
  • nightengale7
    Options
    I don't know about unhealthy, per say, but Panera's food is ungodly high in calories. Even the veggie sandwich tops out around 800 calories. Macro-wise it's probably loads better, but I was so deluded all these years thinking I was eating healthy there!

Panera is so good, though! LOL, I too was surprised by the amount of calories in the food there.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Panera thinks very highly of their food, judging by their prices. You would think the sandwich wrappers and serving trays were lined with pure gold.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that as a former employee of Macaroni Grill, they were horrible offenders. There was a push online years ago for them to put better options on the menu. Every couple of months there is somone who reveals the "worst offenders" in regards to unhealthy food.

I know that Cheesecake Factory is notorious for their calorie bombs.

And I am a guilty offender of eating things that are bad for me. It honestly is comon sense. I know what is good and what is bad. I might lie to myself, but in the end it's on me.
  • GiantsGetDevoured
    Options
    More than 1/2 of the items on the subway menu are worse than a burger. Many people consider that a "Healthy option"

6 inches with as many vegetables as you want,without cheese and dressing
    Is way healthier than a burger.
    They're only bad if you get fittings with cheese or saturate it in mayo.
    Come on now!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

This was a shocker for me too. My favorite thing of theirs is the mediterranian veggie sandwich and it's higher in calories due to the bread. i usually just get half a sandwich, fruit and a cup of veggie soup.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Any salad that contains deep-fried ingredients is going to be high in calories. The word "salad" does not mean low-cal.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

6 inches with as many vegetables as you want,without cheese and dressing
    Is way healthier than a burger.
    They're only bad if you get fittings with cheese or saturate it in mayo.
    Come on now!
    You cmon now. I eat subway, and I agree they offer choices that are way healther than a burger.

I also see way to many overweight people order a 6" Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt (570 Calories with tons of saturated fats and carbs) A bag of chips, and a diet coke. Then they think they legitimately made a healthy choice by eating subway
  • nightengale7
    Options
    bump
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The portions of restaurant food alone should give away the fact that you're not getting a deal, calorie-wise. Eat enough spinach with Lite Italian dressing and grilled chicken breasts, and you'll still gain weight, folks.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Now I want nachos.
  • cindye0825
    Options
    how about chinese food?
  • craftdragon
    Options
    some times the calories and fat aren't bad, but there is 2 day's worth of salt in it.