Worst "healthy" restaurant food

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't really give a **** where people eat, but for those saying Subway is pristine... wait till you log the sodium of that bread. Yikes.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Now I want nachos.

I always want nachos.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Now I want nachos.

I always want nachos.

With guacamole.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The ingredients themselves sound fine...and anything with avocado is going to be pretty high i calories...although avocados are very good for you. One thing you have to remember about restaurant food though...a "serving" is really more like 2 or 3 servings on average.

I could easily see splitting something like that between two people and it being a very reasonable lunch and within my caloric goals. Splitting between three people would make for a nice heart healthy snack.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    CupcakeDefeater Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY does however have a salad option, you can have a bowel of all the salad bits you want, chicken/whatever if you want it and dont need to have a dressing or you could have a lite dressing but ask them to just put a little on.

There is a healthy option for you RIGHT there! the most weight i have ever lost in my life was when i worked at subway as all i ate was salad.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating Taco Bell tacos. *nom nom nom*
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    About 80% of Applebee's menu is awful. Their salads are sooo high in calories. I mean, they have the Weight Watchers section and all that, but a lot of their menu items are over 1000 calories. Eeek!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Now I want nachos.

I always want nachos.

With guacamole.

For real. I freaking love nachos and guacamole.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    Weirdly, on healthy option is the Chicken and Bacon salad from mcdonalds. 190 cal 2g sat fat 7g carb and 1.2g salt
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    More than 1/2 of the items on the subway menu are worse than a burger. Many people consider that a "Healthy option"

6 inches with as many vegetables as you want,without cheese and dressing
    Is way healthier than a burger.
    They're only bad if you get fittings with cheese or saturate it in mayo.
    Come on now!
    You cmon now. I eat subway, and I agree they offer choices that are way healther than a burger.

I also see way to many overweight people order a 6" Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt (570 Calories with tons of saturated fats and carbs) A bag of chips, and a diet coke. Then they think they legitimately made a healthy choice by eating subway

There's actually a term for that. It's called the "health halo". Brian Wansink (my heroooooo) did a good amount of research on it.

See link here if you're actually curious: http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/outreach/health-halos.html

There's a fairly healthy option at almost every restaurant. The problem is that advertising- anyone see the disgusting amount of propping up Subway that Biggest Loser does? It's gross!- gives the impression that these places serve healthy food and that by eating there you'll lose weight. And people lack the education to see through the bull.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I believe outback's aussie fries or whatever they're called made #1 on a list for worst restaurant food you could order.

then I pretended I never read that and continue to order them...
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    More than 1/2 of the items on the subway menu are worse than a burger. Many people consider that a "Healthy option"

6 inches with as many vegetables as you want,without cheese and dressing
    Is way healthier than a burger.
    They're only bad if you get fittings with cheese or saturate it in mayo.
    Come on now!
    You cmon now. I eat subway, and I agree they offer choices that are way healther than a burger.

I also see way to many overweight people order a 6" Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt (570 Calories with tons of saturated fats and carbs) A bag of chips, and a diet coke. Then they think they legitimately made a healthy choice by eating subway

There's actually a term for that. It's called the "health halo". Brian Wansink (my heroooooo) did a good amount of research on it.

See link here if you're actually curious: http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/outreach/health-halos.html

There's a fairly healthy option at almost every restaurant. The problem is that advertising- anyone see the disgusting amount of propping up Subway that Biggest Loser does? It's gross!- gives the impression that these places serve healthy food and that by eating there you'll lose weight. And people lack the education to see through the bull.

The biggest loser stuff all has the sandwiches that are healthy an the boards and also tell you about which dressing/auce to have
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Before I joined MFP and started to log calories, one of my favorite things to get out was Panera's sierra turkey sandwich. Much to my horror, it's 950ish calories and high in fat! For a turkey sandwich! And I though I was making a healthy choice...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Now I want nachos.

I always want nachos.

With guacamole.

And sour cream.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There's a local chain here called Erik's Deli Cafe - I love them, my favorite sandwich there is an REO Speedwagon and it's basically a turkey, ham & cheese sandwich on sourdough. It's not super big yet has over 700 calories. So when I really want one, I get a half sandwich and a cup of their chicken vegetable soup which only has 100 calories.

In general, I think the worst food masquerading as healthy food is usually salads. The salad dressings are usually the calorie bombs, but restaurants also love to add cheese, tortilla strips and other such goodies that turn a salad into a day's worth of calories!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I believe outback's aussie fries or whatever they're called made #1 on a list for worst restaurant food you could order.

then I pretended I never read that and continue to order them...
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    lol
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Red Robin's veggie burger.
  • CupcakeDefeater
    Options
    bump
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    "Yeah, I think I'll get a salad, I had a pretty heavy lunch so better go lighter...... (waiter approaches) Ah, yes may I please have the Crispy Chicken salad, dinner size, with extra ranch dressing, and an extra breadstick with that please."

Yep, lol.... but dang it's yummy.

My husband and I will make some nice home made salads at home with some artificial crab, craisins, almonds, and other goodies, they're referred to as "bomb *kitten* salads" in our house... lol, but we know EXACTLY what's going in, and how much... and it's not drowned in dressing.