Water Consumption and What Qualifies as Water?

Options
So today I experienced a conundrum of sorts regarding my water consumption. I am a habitual tea drinker, and today managed to consume a requisite 8 glasses, not of water, but of tea. More to the point teabags steeped in hot water, no added sweetener. Water being a large component of the tea that I drink/drank/drunk... whatever. Currently, because I have sipped 64 oz of water in a span of about 8 hours, I feel more than adequately hydrated. In fact, I suspect my kidneys are floating somewhere in body cavity, gently sloshing about in all of the tea. Steeping in the juices, as it were. But, alas, I was wondering if they actually count as water? Should I go to my food diary and gleefully click the upward arrows so that my glass rises above half full to almost brimming? So that I can find acceptance that only a person who has a truly and properly hydrated food diary can?

I am just confused about if my tea counts as water, because if I drink anymore liquid right now, I surely will become intoxicated on.... something. These things happen... right?

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mayo is water AND dairy. Fact. I read it on the internets.
  • Lilpixie39
    Options
    I know you're suppose to get half your body weight in water a day.But I know if drinking tea is counted as water intake or not.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just drink beer instead. It's mostly water, too.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Mayo is water AND dairy. Fact. I read it on the internets.

Well thank god for them internets! :wink:
  • PaulW2MD
    PaulW2MD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Does said tea have any booze/hooch/whiskey in it?
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't count tea as water.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Anything that I put in a glass I count as water
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I just drink beer instead. It's mostly water, too.

This is why we get along so well :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Don't click that glass in your diary just yet.

Each glass of tea counts as 0.35 of a glass of water, until you've reached the 4th glass of tea, then it's 0.55. So, do the math on that.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I am just confused about if my tea counts as water, because if I drink anymore liquid right now, I surely will become intoxicated on.... something. These things happen... right?

It counts.... :smile:
    Supposedly, if you're used to tea/coffee then a cup of coffee counts as a cup of water. If you're not then it just counts as 1/2 a cup.
    I tend to round my water-coffee numbers down just to be on the safe side.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Oh waiter! Please, can we have a new topic? This one is old and worn.

Before posting a topic, consider using the search function.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    OP: I like your mug in your profile pic. It's udderly fantastic.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if it was straight water, the 8 8ounce glass thing is just a mnemonic, not a scientific guideline. It was easy to remember, so it got spread around.

Tea is fine. Some will tell you your body needs straight water (it will get mixed with whatever is in your stomach anyway), that caffeinated drinks are diuretics (everything short of concentrated energy drinks and JOLT provide more water than they take out), some that it must be half your weight in ounces (it sure would help me lose weight - the restrooms are at the far end of the building from my office), others that it must be from Tibetan springs...

The only thing that is important is that your urine is light yellow (some say clear - I have had too much if it is clear all day, it is almost as unsettling as being slightly dehydrated). If you overindulge, grab a banana and put sprinkle it with salt (I usually add nuts, and a few dark chocolate chips, but those are for flavor, not nutrition) or find another way of rebalancing your electrolytes.

ETA: see, they told you all those things before I finished typing!
  • Nikki_XC
    Options
    To me, water is water.
    I don't include tea, coffee etc into my daily intake. They get logged, but not as my water.
  • babyshekamoo
    babyshekamoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't click that glass in your diary just yet.

Each glass of tea counts as 0.35 of a glass of water, until you've reached the 4th glass of tea, then it's 0.55. So, do the math on that.

Where does this come from? I have never heard it before.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    OP: I like your mug in your profile pic. It's udderly fantastic.

Agreed. I'd love a mug like that. It would go well with my Wisconsin t-shirts. "Come Smell our Dairy Air!"
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    dont worry so much about it. as long your pee is pale (light colored) that pretty much your hydrated. dont get me wrong drinking water is good for you but the whole 8 glasses thing have been proven a myth.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can count tea and coffee as long as it is decaf apparently. I think herbal tea is fine but someone else will be better qualified to say really as I dont drink it
  • aadutton
    Options
    You'll get lots of different answers here. From "ONLY water counts as water and you MUST drink an ounce for every pound of body weight!" to "eh, water consumption really isn't all that important." You're better off doing internet research outside of a message board or asking your doctor. Or just try to drink a reasonable amount of good ol water and don't worry about it. Honestly, this topic has been beat to death and there's no consensus.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Water is water. Not juice, tea, milk, soda, coffee, wine, etc. End of story.