Heavy lifting leads to sagging?

Options

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I call bull, my father is 50 years old and has done heavy lifting since his teens. He is getting a beer belly and his increases are farther between, but nothing along the lines of sagging
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    tracy=tool
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I read this as well. And I think the concept makes sense, you are stretching your skin for muscle (just as an overweight person would with fat) and when you get older your muscles naturally go away, hence the sagging.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not saying don't lift heavy or that I won't. I mean we all get old and saggy, I'd rather be STRONG, old and saggy. lol
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 60 years old, and have been into fitness most of my life, and I say NO !!! I see no evidence in my own body that suggest that is true !!! Gaining and losing weight, such as in yo-yo dieting will cause your skin to wrinkle and sag. That is why it is important to exercise while you diet; lose weight slow rather than fast, and stay hydrated !!!

^^Yeah, this!

Right everybody gets saggy eventually as well, but being strong and fit will slow down that eventual process.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds in 10 months. I think the only thing that saved me from sagging IS lifting. ***** is nuts. End of story.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    lol.

556338_551391528221586_887527856_n.jpg

Doesn't look so saggy to me.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    That sounds like another 80s myth that got recycled. I remember in the 80s they used to say that lifting weights would build muscle, but as soon as you quit lifting, your muscles would magically turn into fat. :noway:

LOL I remember that one. Unfortunately I believed it at the time:frown:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I read this as well. And I think the concept makes sense, you are stretching your skin for muscle (just as an overweight person would with fat) and when you get older your muscles naturally go away, hence the sagging.

Technically true, but this would really apply to so few women that its not worth worrying about. It is very hard for a women to build muscle, let alone enough muscle to stretch your skin...
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing actually makes me pretty angry. People should be able to trust what a so called professional says, but as well all know its a complete pack of lies, not just the less than 3lb for a million reps thing so as to not get bulky, but also starving yourself, or doing heaps of cardio. As for Gwyneth Paltrow, she looks fine, but for working hard 6 days a week she could be looking so much better for less.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    53 year old heavy lifter Tosca Reno.... I don't see any sagging...

tosca6-1_zps5a85b133.jpg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    all old people get saggy.

but jack lalane looked a lot less saggy than most men his age when he passed
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    oh wait..
    you wanted women. here's ernestine shepherd. she's in her 80s

Ernestine-Shepherd-Bodybuilder.jpg
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Lol, wtf are these 'accessory' muscles she's talking about, "around the larger thigh and belly muscles"? And what special trick of physics would gift them with enough power to constrain ubiquitous sag?

Edit: Oh right, there's just not much tissue at all, cause of the diet. The point is to disappear, got it.
  • SummerSusan
    SummerSusan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ****ing Woman's Day.

Yes, listen to a magazine that routinely has Dr. Oz on the cover, promotes a new, different diet as being the "best" every month, and insists that everyone in the world has hypothyroidism.

And I'm sorry, Tracy "eat 500 calories a day" Anderson? Goddammit.

Sorry, this rant is more to my mom. I'M TALKING TO YOU MOM.

Too funny...I'm thinking the same thing about my Mom!
  • Ironhorseman
    Ironhorseman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy weights my entire life and numerous injuries while doing this which at times keeps from working out for an extended amount of time. Lifting heavy weight has produced the bigger muscles that I wanted when I was younger but the downside of this is the lifelong maintenance for these big muscles don't kid yourself neither if you don't beleive me look at Jean Claude Van Damme in the Expendables 2 and see those Large floppy Biceps. I have switched off the heavy weights and started with many push-up reps and that works well with muscle building and less likely for injuries.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy weights my entire life and numerous injuries while doing this which at times keeps from working out for an extended amount of time. Lifting heavy weight has produced the bigger muscles that I wanted when I was younger but the downside of this is the lifelong maintenance for these big muscles don't kid yourself neither if you don't beleive me look at Jean Claude Van Damme in the Expendables 2 and see those Large floppy Biceps. I have switched off the heavy weights and started with many push-up reps and that works well with muscle building and less likely for injuries.

Are you joking? Floppy biceps??

I'm with you on reducing some of the variables, with injury, but I'm pretty sure those are the same biceps/triceps working, with pushups or curls.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    oh wait..
    you wanted women. here's ernestine shepherd. she's in her 80s

Ernestine-Shepherd-Bodybuilder.jpg

man, i've just been out done by an 80 year old.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

that's just fat
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Injury risk is from bad form or imbalanced muscle development...user error.