Irony of adding MFP friends with 500+ "friends"

Options
I thought this was supposed to be a motivational site where you make genuine or semi-genuine connections with folks you feel would have the time and energy to motivate you. And, in turn, you motivate them.

I have an issue with some MFP'ers having 500+ contacts yet claim they will "motivate me." How on earth are people motivating this many people? I think they are using MFP to sell their products or services. I'm not sure that is why MFP was created, and I don't like it...and I don't care what the profile pic looks like!

OK. rant. over.

Replies

• JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Can you say delete?!! :happy:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I can easily see how someone who has been here a few years might rack up 500+ friends. It's not a big deal to me. Some people are able to use the mere act of friending as motivation and connection. Other people need more. (I need more, but I get that not everyone does.)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Soooooo....don't add them? Am I missing something here :huh:
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Amen, I'm noticing a lot of negative threads on here.... MyFitnessRant?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    So, uh, don't be their friend.

That being said, I have several friends with extremely high friend counts, and they interact and support me just fine. I have to assume it's because I'm positive, interesting, and supportive back.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who have a large amount of friends on their lists; most of them still find time to write individual responses on my statuses or give me a hello. Not all of them are 'selling things' or friend collectors or any of that stuff. Sometimes you just have a lot of good advice to give to a lot of willing listeners!
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i dont collect friends lol i delete those who have been innactive for 2 months or more without reason. and i delete those with eating disorders or suffer from severe depression (if they feel that this is a good place for attention those who genuinly want to change and are trying i dont delete)... so i keep a pretty tight knit group of friends so i can help to motivate them
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Usually the complaint is about "why do people demand a message with their friend request. they should just accept any old request... it's all about support. blah blah blah." So thanks for making this one a little different.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    people with over 500 friends are mfp-*kitten*
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-21567-1355944248-2.gif
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't worry, i didn't want to add you as a friend anyway.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-21567-1355944248-2.gif

bumping for later just cause I need to save this gif for when I'm not at work...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have a 'friend' who is at the max of 1000 friends. Why? because she is awesome! Seeing her progress and reading her blogs are very inspirational for me, and she even has time to comment on my posts from time to time. Just seeing her profile pic is motivating to me. I have other friends that I interact with more on a daily basis, and that is a different type of support we give each other. I have friends who never comment, but perhaps seeing my posts and my progress is inspirational for them. We all get different types of supports to fill our needs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Amen, I'm noticing a lot of negative threads on here.... MyFitnessRant?

Just now? C'mon, this isn't anything new.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion. I seldom say no to anyone who wants to friend me (unless they're obviously pro-ana or pushing a product), just because I need all the support I can get, and do my best to respond to everyone's achievements I see with genuine encouragement. Sure, maybe we don't connect to the level where we're coming over to each others houses or sharing our deep-dark secrets or anything, but it's encouraging all the same, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I don't think it's right to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be motivated by through MFP. People use what tools work for them, and choose what methods work best in reaching the goals they've set for themselves - just because it's not what you personally would do, doesn't mean it's bad for them, or makes them any less motivated to have positive change happen.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This. Don't send them a friend request and decline if they send one to you. Who cares?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Usually the complaint is about "why do people demand a message with their friend request. they should just accept any old request... it's all about support. blah blah blah." So thanks for making this one a little different.

Hmmm...maybe these two themes are connected...somehow...I just can't quite put the pieces of the puzzle together...don't rush me...I'm still thinking about it...

Meh, maybe I'll figure it out later.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What's the big deal if they want that many friends anyway?
    People get bothered by the strangest things...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    tomorrow's topic....who do they think they are? why didnt they accept my FR?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    So, uh, don't be their friend.

That being said, I have several friends with extremely high friend counts, and they interact and support me just fine. I have to assume it's because I'm positive, interesting, and supportive back.

what she said :)