Irony of adding MFP friends with 500+ "friends"

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For the record, I found this post to be neither motivating nor supporting.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion. I seldom say no to anyone who wants to friend me (unless they're obviously pro-ana or pushing a product), just because I need all the support I can get, and do my best to respond to everyone's achievements I see with genuine encouragement. Sure, maybe we don't connect to the level where we're coming over to each others houses or sharing our deep-dark secrets or anything, but it's encouraging all the same, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I don't think it's right to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be motivated by through MFP. People use what tools work for them, and choose what methods work best in reaching the goals they've set for themselves - just because it's not what you personally would do, doesn't mean it's bad for them, or makes them any less motivated to have positive change happen.

:flowerforyou:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to find genuine friends then yes, 500 is too many. If you're writing informative articles like some on here, then no, 500 is not too many. If you're advertising your training services then 10 is too many.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I thought this was supposed to be a motivational site where you make genuine or semi-genuine connections with folks you feel would have the time and energy to motivate you. And, in turn, you motivate them.

I have an issue with some MFP'ers having 500+ contacts yet claim they will "motivate me." How on earth are people motivating this many people? I think they are using MFP to sell their products or services. I'm not sure that is why MFP was created, and I don't like it...and I don't care what the profile pic looks like!

OK. rant. over.

Don't hate......Richard Simmons motivates millions and he's not even on MFP.

Whatever floats your boat playa........
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i dont collect friends lol i delete those who have been innactive for 2 months or more without reason. and i delete those with eating disorders or suffer from severe depression (if they feel that this is a good place for attention those who genuinly want to change and are trying i dont delete)... so i keep a pretty tight knit group of friends so i can help to motivate them

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine and acceptance.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Really, what do you care how many friends someone else has on here? Why does it bother you that much that you have to post a rant about it? That's the question you should be asking yourself.

Who cares if someone has 500+ friends? It's just as much a social site as it is a fitness site. If that bothers you, I'm sure you can track calories on your own without this site.

Rant over.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    People with over 100 friends are pretty fkn awesome. I have less than 15, so I'm not that awesome.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    OP I thought the same way when I first started but some of my most motivational friends are the ones that have TONS of friends. I don't need them to look after me, I can take responsibility for getting myself to the gym or eating right because I'm not a child but I do keep an eye on what they do so hopefully I learn more from them and improve even more than I have.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Soooooo....don't add them? Am I missing something here :huh:

Amen, I'm noticing a lot of negative threads on here.... MyFitnessRant?
    the rants go on and on my friend
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I thought this was supposed to be a motivational site where you make genuine or semi-genuine connections with folks you feel would have the time and energy to motivate you. And, in turn, you motivate them.

I have an issue with some MFP'ers having 500+ contacts yet claim they will "motivate me." How on earth are people motivating this many people? I think they are using MFP to sell their products or services. I'm not sure that is why MFP was created, and I don't like it...and I don't care what the profile pic looks like!

OK. rant. over.

their status posts show up on your feed.

most people add me because they want my statuses. 75% never bother motivating me. Im a twitter feed, not a real person. I dont think you should worry so much about people who have hundreds of friends because:

1. they have jack to do with your fitness and weight loss goals
    2. they aren't injuring you
    3. they are probably just more tolerant than you
    4. no one will make you be their friend
    5. you probably have the same number of actual quality motivational friends as they do

I can handle it because im a social media manager as a living and naturally quick and efficient with multitasking multiple sites at once with thousands of followers, so MFP is nothing. however, i do often feel very exposed when im having a bad day and just want to say something about it to vent and then suddenly 800 people on MFP remember that Im an idiot.

Some people can handle it.

It doesnt mean we are trying to pimp out some BS beach body nonsense.

thanks for the judgment though :drinker:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    people with over 500 friends are mfp-*kitten*

I guess I'm a mfp *kitten* lol. Honestly, I have tried to cut back on my friends list, I've been here for almost 2 years on this account but almost 3 years all together. I have 500 friends because people add me and if they wish to be my friend who am I to tell them no? Unless of course you don't read my profile lol, which I have put in there about what to do if you add me. I hardly ever add people because honestly I have a lot of friends and it is hard to keep up with them all.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you can't have 500 real friends? Were all those people lying in high school when they signed my yearbook to keep in touch?!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

OK. rant. over.

their status posts show up on your feed.

most people add me because they want my statuses. 75% never bother motivating me. Im a twitter feed, not a real person. I dont think you should worry so much about people who have hundreds of friends because:

1. they have jack to do with your fitness and weight loss goals
    2. they aren't injuring you
    3. they are probably just more tolerant than you
    4. no one will make you be their friend
    5. you probably have the same number of actual quality motivational friends as they do

I can handle it because im a social media manager as a living and naturally quick and efficient with multitasking multiple sites at once with thousands of followers, so MFP is nothing. however, i do often feel very exposed when im having a bad day and just want to say something about it to vent and then suddenly 800 people on MFP remember that Im an idiot.

Some people can handle it.

It doesnt mean we are trying to pimp out some BS beach body nonsense.

thanks for the judgment though :drinker:

^ yoovie is a friend of mine that has 500+ friends and no OP she does not try to sell anything on here or I'd be rid of her fast!
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-21567-1355944248-2.gif

lolz THAT WAS MY LAUGH FOR THE DAY! tHANK YOU:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tomorrow's topic....who do they think they are? why didnt they accept my FR?

Already had that last week...twice.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    you worry about you... and I'll worry about me. mmkay.. Thanks.
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Lately I had request from a girl who has 800+ friends... um, decline!
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I dunno, one of my favorite friends has around 260 on her FL. Yet she'll still take time to motivate with a "Eat, b!tch!" message from time to time.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed a significant correlation between the quantity of support that I receive from friends and the quantity of friends they have. Granted the nature of the motivation and support is different but I don't begrudge them that. Finally, i know that I can't effectively juggle 500 friends, so I don't try; but I remain grateful for my brilliant high-count friends too.

It's weird how I'm grateful and impressed by the very same thing that irritates you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Lately I had request from a girl who has 800+ friends... um, decline!

hey! you spelled 'intelligent' wrong on your profile. just wanted to help out! :flowerforyou: