Prerequisites for success on Insanity

Options
I bought insanity and would like to start, but I want to be successful and not defeated. Is there a prerequisite level of fitness or suggestions from those of you that have done the program? Should I focus on interval training? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred right now to get in better shape so i can start Insanity. Maybe try it out? :)
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ok I will!
  • allysonvb
    Options
    Bump
    Anyone else with experience?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Just do it!

You can modify many of the moves. As long as you're moving and your heart is pumping, you are burning calories. Also, the super fit people in the videos all take a bunch of breaks throughout each workout.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't concentrate on what the people on the videos are doing -- work at your own pace. Although if you pay attention A LOT of them take breaks throughout the videos.

My vote is also to just do it. IT really is a work at your own pace sort of workout. I love them :)
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started it after being sedentary the first time I did it. Yes, I felt like puking and passing out, but you're supposed to feel that way regardless of your fitness level. Shaun T tells you to go at your own pace! "Dig Deep" and all, but if you need a break he tells you to take it. If your form isn't up to par, he tells you to slow down and do it right. I say go for it! I did it and loved it :)
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mcpillowlover
    Options
    Just do it, Insanity is the first actual fitness program i've done, im attempting my second round and i can give you some Very helpful tips to make it stick. I was sedentary first time attempting and i decided i wasn't going to change my diet or do anything other than the work out ....DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT! This time around i've started eating healthier/cleaner (i hate hate hate dieting) and drinking whey protein powder after my workout and it is a million times easier. It helps me actually have energy for the work out. , Modify any moves you have problems with , as long as your moving and keeping your heart rate up you are good as gold. I promise it gets easier just don't think about it before you do it :-p
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    have you done the fit test?
  • skykane
    skykane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on week two of the first month and it is awesome!! Don't worry about what level you are at because you can go at your own pace. Shawn T might be going a mile a minute but he tells you to focus on form rather than speed. When I started I was pretty sedentary and after the first few workouts I was wiped but it gets easier as you go! Don't feel intimidated it's a great workout you can do it!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps to be in a bit of shape.. but if you can't keep up, just keep going, don't stop, don't quit, modify, and keep at it for the whole program. Some days are gonna be worse than others, but if you are motivated you can do it.
  • wonderwoman1974
    wonderwoman1974 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred right now to get in better shape so i can start Insanity. Maybe try it out? :)

I am doing the same thing...do you think it will really get us ready??? Hoping!!
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I am doing the same thing...do you think it will really get us ready??? Hoping!!

I sure hope so!!! Lol i'm almost done with week 1, and my endurance is much better....so... here's to hoping :) lol
  • allysonvb
    Options

I'm really intimidated, so I hope so!
  • wonderwoman1974
    wonderwoman1974 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I'm really intimidated, so I hope so!

Me too. I have watched a couple you tube videos and YIKES!!!! My plan is to start INSANITY 2/1 right after 30DS.
  • mturner4515
    mturner4515 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity right now too and will start the second month next week. I did a couple of other beachbody programs first (turbofire and chalean extreme) and am honestly glad I prepared myself before starting Insanity. It really is a tough workout and I struggle most with all the plank/push up work as my upper body just isn't very strong. Even though you can modify moves to some degree and you can definitely go at your own speed, I personally feel I would have failed if I hadn't built up some strength and stamina before starting Insanity. If you want more information on the other programs, please contact me and I would be glad to share more. I have also known people who started Insanity with no fitness background and did great. Good luck! Stick with it and you will do great!
  • AmandaEstes6
    AmandaEstes6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also was one that was just going to do Insanity and eat whatever i wanted. Do not do that. I only started seeing results after I started dieting along with it. Eating healthy helps with having energy for the workouts. I also use a pre workout drink called C4 before each workout. Then i drink a silk amino acid called Blox directly after my workouts. I also add B complex vitamins to my C4 drink as well. You can get all of these products at GNC. My advice, just jump into it. If you keep thinking about how hard it is you will make it harder on yourself. If you cant do each move, just keep moving. At first if i couldnt do a move, i would do jumping jacks until the move was over with. Oh and drink so much water beforehand. I noticed the more water i drink before i workout the more energy i have and the more i sweat and the more calories i burn. I did month 1 at first and then quit, i now have gone back to it and im in week three. Im nervous about month 2 but i know i will get there and do it. Shawn T is a great motivator. He makes me laugh during the workouts. Good Luck
  • AmandaEstes6
    AmandaEstes6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh and dont worry about the warm up wiping you out. It does it to us all. The warm up is done three times. And it gets intense. Just keep with it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Insanity humbles even those that are in shape. I'm on my second round and will complete it this weekend and I STILL get worried/intimidated by the workouts...heck, I'm worried about the one today! The hardest part is doing it SIX DAYS a week. Just do what it takes to get through it. At the end of the day, that's just what I have to tell myself sometimes. Other people, obese people, out of shape people, etc., have finished this program so there's no reason why I can't.
  • ladieclair
    Options
    I would recommend easing into INSANITY. I've tried this work out so many times before and I would always quit after a week or 2. Then after the New Year I was determined to get in shape. Sadly by then, I couldn't even make it through the warm up without taking a long pause.

I decided to break up segments of the workout and try it twice a day. By the end the week I had the endurance to make it through a whole session.

For example on the first day I tried to get through as much of the warm up as possible (before and after work). Then Tuesday I did the warm up, and as much of the next segment as possible, so by Friday I was prepared to tackle the full disc.

It'll take a little longer to get results and it's less INSANE that way but you may be less likely to get intimidated or discouraged and quit. Before you know it you will be done the series and you may have the ability and desire to do it again at full throttle for to increase your fitness level. Look at it this way...a 2 month work out might take you 4 months this way. It's still better than a conventional work out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!