Success with 2,000 calories?

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with a binge eating disorder and just saw my dietician for the first time yesterday. She put me on a slow but realistic plan, eating 2,000 calories a day and adding activity 5x a week for 30 minutes. Has anyone here had success eating 2,000 calories a day? I trust in my dietician but some of my friends have given negative feedback saying I will never lose weight at this rate…

I know it will be a slow process which is fine, I just want it eventually to come off!

Does anyone have a success story to give me hope? Pics?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1900 and 2400 depending on activity.

Check my diary and lmk if you've got questions.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Wow you look amazing! how often do you do strength training?
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating 2000 cals on average. It was slow, but I never felt like I was on a "diet" so I was very happy with that. I also struggle with binges, and I can tell you that if I restrict myself too much, it always leads to a binge. I also worked out pretty much 7 days a week (just for full disclosure) with a combination of lifting and cardio. So my vote is to try it for a few months...you can always tweak as needed. :)
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The more active you are the more calories you need. So if you look at someone who is NETTING 1600 - they could be eating in excess of 2000 and burning 400 of that off everyday. If your dietician's calorie goal isn't net then 2000 + your activity could definitely put you at a deficit. And even if it is net, you will lose weight until your body needs less than 2000 to maintain itself - fatter people need more calories to maintain their fatness, and vice versa.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible to lose with those numbers, I average 1800-2200 daily before exercise.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've lost 44 pounds eating around 2000 calories per day and exercising for 30-60 minutes every day. I started out walking and just recently added in weights and the elliptical.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Wow you look amazing! how often do you do strength training?

Hey, thanks! I'm finally getting into a "routine" after going around and doing many different activities that kept my attention. Right now, I would say I lift 3-4 times per week. I have some previous injury limitations where I can not perform deadlifts and heavy squats, so I have to supplement with isolation movements.

I also take a heavy bag class a couple times per week that has done wonders. :-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist/dietician, ostensibly, went to school and learned about what (s)he is talking about. And likely has experience in the field. Your friends likely didn't and don't. That's really all you need to know.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    yep, there are lots of ladies on here that eat that, or more. Just follow her plan and see how it goes. 2k really isn't that much.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Totally doable, especially with 5 days of exercise thrown in. Chances are your friends are buying into all the bad advice that's out there about super low cal being the only way.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan - I am a guy so not sure if that helps - but I find that after exercise my targets hover around 2000-2100 - and for the most part it works out pretty well.

If you do that and keep regular exercise, and eat good solid foods, lots of protein and fiber, I think you'll be good to go!

I've kept a 20 pound loss and been yo-yo-ing with the last 5-7, mostly because I went well over during the holidays, but exercise was great damage control.

I have had my share of binges too... so good luck! You can do this!
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have been succesful to date with a 2000 daily calorie target. You can view my diary if you like. Note that I am a 6 foot, 3 inch male and as such this is a good target for me to lose an average of 1 lb a week. I have been losing about 1.5lbs a week for 8 months by exceeding this 2000 daily calorie target but that is by choice.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Check out the "eat more to lose weight" group. And Helloitsdan (a member) has something called a road map which helps you to understand why you actually do need around 2000 calories. I am 5'4" and currently eating 2000 calories, lifting weights and running, and doing great. Please understand you may gain a little at first (I really really want to urge you to go read everything on the EM2LW group) but it will all even out when your body's metabolism smooths out. There is a LOT of support in that group. I feel so much better eating at 2000 than I did at the 1200 MFP suggested; my basal metabolic rate is 1424 (that is explained, I promise) so I was essentially starving myself!

You'll be glad you did this. good luck!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Between workouts and nursing I eat as much as 2800 some days and last week I lost 4 lbs. Not my norm, obviously, but I lost 20 lbs awhile back eating even more than that. My base is like 1980, so right around 2000.

As someone with uncontrolled binge eating experience it's probably good to start slow. In college I tried doing a lot less and all I thought about was food all the time, I almost always ended up binging after dinner.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight on the ubiquitous MFP sedentary 2 pounds a week 1,200 calorie plan.

Then I shifted to 2,000 calories after figuring out my total daily energy expenditure and taking a 20% deficit.

Guess what? Still losing at exactly the same rate. And I'm confident I can keep this level of eating up once the weight is gone, so it's a permanent loss. Hell, I even snack.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I am currently waiting 1700 and doing 120g carbs. Not doing ad much exercise as you and lost 1.8lbs this week. Think you'll be fine as long as you don't make most of those calories up in carbs. I also do 120g protein. Don't be afraid of having some fats.. Just make them healthy ones. Give it 6 weeks if it needs adjusting do so.

Zara
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and now maintain on 2300-3000 calories most days. It's absolutely do-able. Most of the women I've met on here who look fantastic eat big and lift. not saying it's "the way," but it seems to work for many and is working for me.
  • nsalerno90
    Options
    Absolutely will work -- I am a 45 year old woman who is about 5'5" -- need to lose 50 lbs. I "net" 1750 now after losing 20 lbs but was at 2000 net when I started. I was a binge eater too and now I never do that -- no need, I am not starving and can eat the things I love. I exercise 4-5 days a week - sometimes very intense and other days just a good long walk.

I know a lot of women who would never admit to eating this many calories - -they do low cal diets for a few weeks, starve, complain and quit. It doesn't work. . . not in the long run. I would suggest that you eat the Eat More to Weigh Less posts -- very instructive.

Yes, you will be nervous at first but your body will thank you . . . I feel better than I have in years and with the exercise, people think I have lost far more than I really have because I am building muscle and that looks way better than fat.

Good luck -- you got this! (Feel free to add me if you like).
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It is completely possible. Especially if you have had an issue with binge eating, I think you'll be surprised at what a difference restricting calories (even if you're still eating 2,000 calories a day) will make. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • nsalerno90
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight on the ubiquitous MFP sedentary 2 pounds a week 1,200 calorie plan.

Then I shifted to 2,000 calories after figuring out my total daily energy expenditure and taking a 20% deficit.

Guess what? Still losing at exactly the same rate. And I'm confident I can keep this level of eating up once the weight is gone, so it's a permanent loss. Hell, I even snack.

Yes to this!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!