muscle weighs more than fat?

2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    My muscle weighs more than my fat. (I think. I'm not actually sure how much my organs and bones etc weigh).
    Science is SO hard.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Imagine in your minds eye a lb of meat

Now imagine a lb of butter

Which seemed heavier?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    A pound is a unit of measurement, no matter what you are weighing (water, fat, muscle, or fudge), a pound is a pound. The mass of the items being weighed is different. When we build muscle, our "mass" or outward appearance appears smaller and more toned, even though we might have gained a little or stayed the same. The scale is a tool, but the true measure of success is feeling healthier, feeling your cloths fit better and an improvement in your overall mental and physical well being. Don't focus so much on the numbers, instead rely on how you feel. :happy:
    A pound is also a unit of currency. So one pound of muscle is not the same as one pound Sterling.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Muscle is more dense then fat.

1lb = 1lb
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Ponder this then...If you have 1201 calories in a day you might gain weight if you have that extra calorie for 3500 days in a row. However if you have 1199 calories you will STARVE AND DIE....The upside of this is that you will die with a thigh gap!
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Doesn't matter. A pound of water weight weighs more than both...

I almost got a migraine from forcing my brain to read and process this.
  • You're very intelligent for noticing that. Some people on here are just ridiculous. But what you wrote makes complete sense.
    What that phrase actually means is muscle is DENSER than fat. So if you have a fixed volume, say a gallon, the gallon of muscle will weight more than the gallon of fat.

On a side note, having a gallon of either is gross!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I don't have muscle or fat, I'm made up of 150 pounds of bacon.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

On a side note, having a gallon of either is gross!

I now have a mental image of someone desperately trying to squish meat into a milk jug. I wonder what the calories burned would be? And, if you ate those calories back, would you still lose weight?
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    If you base it off of volume then it would.