Cooking is Hard

Options
1234568»

Replies

• christineczekala
    Options
  • christineczekala
    Options
    Cooking *is* hard. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years. There are some things that I have perfected in that time, but there are still some things (like meatloaf or Alfredo sauce) that I can't get to taste as good as it should.

One of the best meatloaf recipes I have ever made is on the box of Lipton Onion Soup mix! It's called Souperior Meatloaf and has been delicious everytime! It is VERY easy too!
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I am one of those people that believes just about everyone can cook. I know there are some people that have problems where they really can't. A lack of time, funds, or skills, quite frankly is a poor excuse.
    I am a teacher, and for the longest time I was the only one working in the house. Money is still tight, even though my husband was blessed with a job about a year ago, and his hours vary from 15-28 hours a week. (love the life of retail!) We try to make sure we stay under MY check because my check is the only one we can really count on.
    I have noticed since we have kids, we can eat at home for many meals for what we can eat out for one, and most of the time I can make something from scratch cheaper than I can buy it pre made, if I just make the habit of keeping those supplies I use regularly on hand. I have also learned that by the time I go pick something up and get it back to the house, I could have already put something easy on and had it done. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often replaced by canned and/or frozen in my house because of budget restraints which makes the cooking even quicker. We spend about $300 a month on groceries and household supplies if I cook at home. I buy big bags of frozen chicken breasts and sometimes legs, and lots of frozen veggies, several bags of rice (you know not the boil in a bag, the time that's "Slow" cook... it takes about 17 minutes to make killer rice... which I have not mastered but my husband has). I keep a stocked spice rack, and replace as I run out, make sure I have flour, sugar, and other baking supplies on hand. My family can easily spend $60-70 on one meal eating out, and close to $30 when we do fast food. I learned how to cook growing up, but most of it was from boxes. Since I have a family of my own, I have learned how to cook most things from scratch, and our grocery bill has shown a decrease. (though there are just some things I buy premade for convience, like sliced bread, so shoot me)... I really think everyone just has to figure out what works best for them.
    For those of you who think you can't cook, I would issue you a challenge to give it a try! Putting chicken breast in the oven with a little Greek seasoning (or whatever you like), steaming or heating a vegetable or two, or maybe some rice or a potato (or even just putting together a salad with that a fore mentioned chicken on it!) doesn't take much more than 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts (I cut mine in half sometimes to speed up cooking) Hate doing dishes? Line everything with aluminum foil (Or in my case make it a kid's chore!... ok I do both)... here our water has gotten so expensive, I don't think we've lost any headway since I've started lining everything so it's easier to clean.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Cooking is not hard for me - never has been (I started at about age 9 over 60 years ago.) Some recipes are complex and require more skills than i have honed. I always try new recipes that sound good, and since losing weight and trying to maintain the loss, I change recipes to be healthier or to use ingredients that I have on hand -- sometimes with spectacular success and sometimes nuclear BOMBS!
    The main thing cooking yourself does is put YOU in control :wink: - 1. of selection of food (you can avoid allergy responses, fat content, etc.), 2. portion size (avoid leftovers which can be a hazard or a blessing), 3.budget (i.e. if you never eat tomatoes on your "fast" or restaurant food - you won't waste $$ buying them) and 4. of the impact on others (your successes will be duly noted in recipes, weight loss, and general attitude.) I forgot to mention that you can kick your feet up or wear your favorite PJ's or avoid another trip out in the cold/heat while you are cooking and eating at home - unless you are trying for a major impression on a new friend or lover, then adjust accordingly.