What was your motivation to start running?

Options

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My brother is a runner, and I guess that inspired me. I thought I hated running, but I heard about Couch to 5K, and running seemed like such a nice simple thing you can do anywhere, plus I like being outside! Started C25K one year ago, and training for my second half marathon now, running about 25 miles a week right now. Who ever though I could run over 10 miles?
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy but my motivation was basically menopause. One of my symptoms was insomnia and I thought "OK, I will wear myself OUT!" And, honestly, it was something I had always wanted to do too. There was also a young mother in my yoga class who lost a crazy amount of weight by starting to run with her husband. So at 52 I did the Couch to 5K program and three years later I'm still at it. It completely cured my insomnia and other little aches and pains I had. I love it. I also have a brother and brother-in-law that are runners as well as both my sister-in-laws. And, actually, one of my primary reasons for starting MFP is that I think if I lose my extra weight I'll be able to increase my speed and distance more easily and be able to keep my weight down by just running more. I'm a 3-miler currently. I run 4 time a week.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was told last february that I should do a half marathon. I literally laughed in that person's face. I had no desire to run. seriously. never had.

I ran my first half marathon on nov 10 2012. I ran my second half marathon on dec 9 2012.

Girl, you are my hero! XOXOXO
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Zombies!

No really a Zombie 5K, although I am not a runner yet just started C25K.

Same here! Well, I just got "Zombies, Run!", but I'm loving it. I'm not a runner. I'll never be a runner. I've tried, REALLY tried, C25K three times and wound up stuck on week 2 each time for over a month until I gave up. But when you hear zombie groans in your ear and someone screaming at you to run... you RUN! XD

That said, it's also really fun. I'm upset today because I won't have time to run a mission at all today and it makes me sad. I just can't wait to find out what happens next. I get off work early tomorrow though, so I should be able to then.

I am going to look for that app!
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    I started running short distances to get my endurance up for playing soccer. Then my friend asked if I wanted to run a 10K with her. I said yes, ended up hurting myself cause I pushed too hard in training so I did a 5K and she did 10K. We were both hooked on running/racing from that point on!
  • citygirlkate
    Options
    Just wanted to say that your post inspired me. I have a lot of weight to lose and didn't know if it as even possible to do C25K at my weight, but reading your post makes me feel like I should just do it. Thanks:)
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was always a terrible runner, even though I've never been a horribly out-of-shape person. Sometimes I feel like my lungs and cardiovascular system just weren't set up for running. Then after a year of doing CrossFit, I learned a lot about myself, about the things I was good at (never thought I'd be good at ANY exercise!) and the things that needed improvement. And running still seemed like my worst skill, but also the thing that was easiest to improve on - just need some shoes and a surface. I thought that if I could get better at running, my overall fitness 'score' in my mind would get much higher than if I took the easier road and worked hard only at the things I was already better at - running had the most room for improvement, so to speak.

Finally, it also seemed like such a basic athletic and life skill that I felt I HAD to start working on it. So, that's basically it. :) I found C25K when I was looking up some training programs for a friend who was in even worse shape then me, and started a week later. I'm still not an awesome runner, and I still kind of hate it, but I'm proud of the progress I've made and I'm proud that I kind of overcame hating something so much.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had so many people in my life telling me I'd never be a runner, including myself. My husband even gave up on getting me to try. Then he left for basic training and I was bored with just biking and my weight training circuit. I decided to start C25K and it was hard and I was tired and every step was a struggle but I DID IT. I felt more accomplished after those 30 minutes than I did ever in my life. I had so much support from one of my managers at work and my husband was so shocked. He didn't believe me until his graduation when we ran 2.75 miles up and down hills in Texas together.

I feel like I'm dying now being unable to run but health issues are preventing it.

You live in Wisconsin...I lived in the UP of Michigan...about a mile from Wisconsin. It is cold and it is hard, but dress properly and invest in some yaktrax. They aren't expensive and they help on the ice. Or you can suck it up and get a gym membership and run on a treadmill. I mean, what will you do come spring time when it warms up? There is always an excuse...oh it is cold, oh its too hot, oh its raining, oh its snowing. Eventually you just HAVE to take those steps and once you're addicted (and trust me, It won't take long...only took me about 3 weeks) you will be making excuses to not miss a run.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I hated running my whole life. When I was a teenager and they made us run the mile in gym class I couldn't do it without walking. I would say things like "If you see me running, you better run too because something's chasing me."

But I got bored with my workout and I was reading about couch to 5K and thought I'd try it. I ran super slow, nearly a 16 minute mile at the beginning. But once I started it I got addicted to the feeling of accomplishment it gave me. The first time I ran a mile without stopping I felt like a superstar. There were still days though where I'd get going and think "what is wrong with me that I am putting myself through this?" I finished the program and felt happy with myself and said ok that's it I'm not going to run these long distances anymore. And I ran only a mile or two each time for a few weeks.... and then started to push myself again and see what I can do. Somewhere in all that practice I'd gone from hating it to thinking it was ok to sorta actually liking it.

I don't even know how it happened. My theory is that it was painful and difficult, and the fact that I was doing it created too much cognitive dissonance, so my brain decided I must be doing it because I like it, because why else would I be putting myself through that?

Now I run at least 3 times a week, 3-4 miles each time. I'm still slow but I'm getting faster. I run with some of my family, and I run alone. I run outside in the cold, and I run in the warm and dry gym on the treadmill where I can watch the newbies check me out in amazement that this fat lady is totally killing it. And every time I run I think about how crazy it is that I'm running. Me! Running! Still haven't gotten over that.
  • ashalfy
    ashalfy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My lungs. I am an asthmatic and I tried running to expand my lung compacity. I downloaded an app to build up your endurance and now I am completely addicted to it! In the summer I run outside, but right now since I live in MN so it is the gym. It has changed up my workout routine and it makes you feel amazing after you accomplish a run!
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What’s the worst thing that can happen if you try doing the c25k?
    You could decide you hate running or you might just find out you like it.
    I have always hated running, but decided to give it a try.
    I just finished week 4 day 2 today. I am not sure if I love it but I am enjoying seeing the progress I am making.
    I struggled with 60 seconds of running the first week. Today I ran 5 minutes without stopping and felt great!
  • geminijai
    Options
    I started running because I wanted to lose weight fast... I kept running because I realized that I actually COULD run... I began to run farther because I wanted to prove to everyone else that I could... I pushed to run faster because I realized I was capable of it... I signed up for a half-marathon because I wanted bragging rights... I still aspire to finish a full marathon to check something off my Bucket List that only a small percentage of people can say they've done, as well... I run because I am a runner.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I ran tack since I was 6 years old until 18 years old. So I've been a runner my while life. When I went off to college I decided I didn't want to run track anymore. Ha so I altogether just stopped working out and was so naive to thing I would never gain weight! I went from 130 pounds to 194.5 pounds quickly! So now I lost half of that and working on the other half and since I'm a runner at heart, that what motivates me to start running again. Best workout I can ever do with weight lifting coming in second :)
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Running is the only way I keep myself responsible for proper nutrition. It's simple: when you eat like crap, you perform like crap. I'm too competitive to not perform well. So I started running. :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Honestly, to see if I could. What I didn't expect was to come to love it.
  • roncygal
    roncygal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great question!

I was always fascinated by people who said they loved to run, couldn't imagine their lives without running, were addicted to the running high. Running for me was always just uncomfortable, sometimes painful. I decided to do C25K because I needed to add some exercise to my life and all I needed was a pair of running shoes. It was, in the beginning, uncomfortable. Then it became less uncomfortable. I still didn't like the running itself, but I ended every run feeling great, at least because of what I had accomplished. I took pride in seeing myself able to run longer, father. Then I found myself starting to enjoy my runs. I remember the first time I got to my normal stopping point and kept going because I was really enjoying it. Now, less than a year later, I actually get the feeling where I *want* to go running. Why? I want the time to myself. I want to clear my head. I want to push myself. I want the rush.

It happens. It actually happens. And you don't have to be able to run a half marathon or a marathon to get there. I run about 5-7k a few times a week. I'm working on speed and distance, but I'm still very much a newbie runner. And I still get the thrill. Now, it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it's a grind. Sometimes there is noisy traffic or rain or ice or too much snow or dog poo or sore knees. But I enjoy it enough that none of that really bothers me that much. Certainly not enough to stop.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Bathing suit shopping. A three way mirror.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I run because it is super easy to measure progress.

First time out I could only run for a few minutes but week by week I increased the time. Now I'm up to 22 minutes, which I know isn't _that_ big a deal but....for an ex overweight ex smoker it's pretty good. Only been at it 2 months too.
    My goal is to be able to run 60 minutes non stop.
  • aggiekaela2016
    aggiekaela2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really NEVER thought I would want to run for any reason whatsoever! I couldn't even run a mile without having to stop! My sister decided to train for a half marathon and she convinced me to also. We started with one mile and took walk breaks and were eventually able to do that. We worked our way up a mile a week and were able to run a half last December! :) We did it with all of our siblings and it was so much fun to all do our first half together! I think that the goal of completing a half marathon is what kept me going, for I wouldn't have kept running without that goal in mind! So that is my advice! Train for a race (either a 5k, 10k, or a half)! And try to find someone who wants to work towards the same goal! good luck! :D
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I wanted to compete in 5ks....and i didn't want to walk any of them (I know sounds horrible). I also wanted to prove to myself after many years that i could still run and that one day i will run a half marathon and look sexy doing it. But i also have to say, its fun to prove people wrong that always said I won't amount to nothing. For me, its about confidence :bigsmile: