the way people are trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the OP its takes hard work and dedication to get the weight off and magic pills are not going to help in the long wrong.
    I have lost 70lbs by accounting what I eat and by exercising! Recently I have been placed on VLCD for medical reasons by my doctor I would never recommend anyone doing this!! Ever it is a ridiculous way to have to eat….or not eat as the case maybe . Tablets and drinking shakes are not going to solve the long term issues that people have with food or lack of exercise! short cuts never work!
  • AdrianasMombieED
    AdrianasMombieED Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i eat food the healthier way...skinnytatse.com betches!! <3 so yummy :D

but, i agree! annoys me.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I went to a bariatric Dr to get me started, and yes, used the pills that they gave me for a few months. They helped me get started on learning how to eat the way I eat, which is low carb, no sugar. Once I could do it on my own willpower, I stopped the pills, but they did help me with appitite suppression while I was learning! I lost 70 lbs while using them, and have lost 65 since stopping. What works for one, though, doesn't always work for another.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Agreeeeeed!!!
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, however yesterday i experienced the nasty side of this site with people making unkind comments about people having hypnosis to HELP THEM EAT LESS CALORIES. You do it through sheer willpower. I cant, does that make my way of eating less calories wrong? No!

Hypnosis is NOT the same as a magic bullet giving people false promises. I firmly believe in hypnosis as a form of helping us with behavior modification.

Most of us on here need to lose weight because we had bad lifestyle habits, i.e. eating too much and exercising too little. There's no magic pill or magic shake. It's work to lose weight and keep it off. The key is that it doesn't have to feel like work or like a chore, there are many healthy fun ways to eat healthy and to exercise. A shake or a pill doesn't help us with the behaviors that got us here in the first place.

^^^ This

The hypnosis is an aid to you making a permanent change not a short term fix. If others can't see that then screw them, plenty of other people out there who can and will support you. Don't let negative people bring you down, just ignore them or cut them loose.
  • LouE
    LouE Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ta, its really helped me see i dont need to eat when im bored!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had a friend ask me how I lost so much weight, and when I told him about MFP he said, "So you're basically just counting calories and exercising? YUCK!"

Now if I told him I had a magic pill that could make fat disappear, then maybe he'd be interested.

Sheesh.
  • heiditracker
    heiditracker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Off this subject, I love the Pontiac!!!! I had a 66 GTO that my husband totaled. I would give an arm and a leg to get it back.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Love the post, although different things work for different people, if those "magical" cures worked for the long term, why are there SO many overweight and obese people in America? There is only one way to weight loss....healthy eating, moderation and exercise.
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    While counting calories and exercise has worked for me, I really can't judge someone who is 'trying' to lose weight. I prefer to think of this journey as a life change, something I will focus on each day. So far it has worked for me. Yes, I've had people say I should count more than calories, I should not buy new clothes cause what will I do with them when I gain the weight back. To those people, I simply say "This is what works for me, I am not breaking any speed records in my weight loss; but I feel great - emotionally and physically. And feeling better each day. So thank you for the advice but I'll stick to what is working for me." Done End of Conversation in a positive, non-judgemental way. Let's help each other succeed!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great post. I think that deep down, everybody knows this is true, but people want the easy way out.

I love when people see me and how I've changed and ask how I did it. I have fun with it and usually give a response something like this:

"I've tried countless diets in the past and always ran into one of two problems: either it didn't work, or it wasn't sustainable.

I decided that THIS TIME I wanted it to be different. I knew I needed a lifestyle change, but I also knew it had to be something that I could sustain for the rest of my life, or it would just be another wasted attempt.

I took my time doing a lot of research. I read anything that was even remotely related to weight loss that I could get my hands on. All of my research pointed me toward the secret, and here it is: If you eat less and exercise more, you'll lose weight.

And what do you know, it actually works!"
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Follow the money! It is not in the interests of the weight loss and food industries to have people succeed long term.

I've had people ask me if I was starving myself, as I'm sure a lot of you have. Like so many of you have said people want a quick fix and instant results. I think it would help if we could get people to understand that we are not "on diets". We have diets, but we are not "on" a diet. That implies an endpoint and the biggest thing most of us have had to learn is that the changes we have made need to be permanent. I do think that anyone who comes to MFP and stays long enough will eventually come to that understanding if they read enough.

Here's to health!
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Eat less move more...this will never make companies rich and we live in an instant gratification nation
  • Live_To_Kayak
    Options
    Lots of people are more afraid of the lifetime commitment required to lose weight and keep it off. The quick fixes are more of a hope that they can keep their current lifestyle and lose weight too.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We all have different bodies and I do not see the value in judging or putting one another down for our methods. Counting calories and exercise is what I choose at this time but that does not mean that what another chooses is not right or that it cannot work.

The internet is a very convenient way to throw out passive aggressive comments and not have to be held accountable for them. Perhaps we should just try to support one another and be proud of our accomplishments rather than looking down our noses.

QFMFT!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "Whatever works for you"

You know what works for you? Diet and exercise.

If you want to keep telling yourself that being hypnotized into thinking you've had gastric bypass surgery or wrapping Asian sea weed around your middle is going to do the trick.. well I do wish you luck. Because you're going to need it.

Watch what you eat, exercise. Works every time.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Desperation leads people to have faith in radical promises... in many aspects of life. Unfortunately it's one thing some people learn the hard way and ruin their metabolism.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i eat food the healthier way...skinnytatse.com betches!! <3 so yummy :D

but, i agree! annoys me.

^ ^ ^ NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE- I just checked it out and I am already head over heals in love with it- so THANK YOU!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    We all have different bodies and I do not see the value in judging or putting one another down for our methods. Counting calories and exercise is what I choose at this time but that does not mean that what another chooses is not right or that it cannot work.

The internet is a very convenient way to throw out passive aggressive comments and not have to be held accountable for them. Perhaps we should just try to support one another and be proud of our accomplishments rather than looking down our noses.

QFMFT!
    Lol a world of unchecked universal anti-judgmentalism doesn't help anybody. Judgment is necessary for improvement. Her reasoning is sound and delivered in a polite manner. I personally don't see anything wrong with points' it's less gimmicky, but lets not lose sight of the broader message that many can learn from.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What a refreshing post!

I use the line "no I'm not dieting, I'm doing basic mathematics"

Weigh it, log it.

Read the label, log it

Eat it, log it

Move it, log it

Simple sums made easier by this app.

LOVE THIS! I'm not dieting I'm just doing Mathematics!!!!