Help me eat!

Options
13»

Replies

• Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks for trying to lose the right way. Eating disorders are hard to overcome. Eat what you want just look at portion control. I agree with nuts, beans, peanut butter, and yogurt. With anemia, you might want to add beef liver, spinach, beets (I hate them), and red wine. Being overweight it is hard to believe I was ever anemic, but I was. My mother prepared beef liver with gravy, spinach, and beets 3x a week for me. I included red wine because you can cook with it and it is good for you in moderation.

Look through the Recipe section for food ideas, if you want to vary what you are eating. If you want to get to 1200 calories a day, select something you consider a treat. I use ice cream sandwiches (the no-fat ones taste too sweet.) and add one if I want a treat or if my calories are going to be low.

You may want to add salad fixings and add meat and salad dressing for a meal or snack. Good luck.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good choice.
    whole wheat ritz crackers
    eggs
    cheese
    deli turkey
    skim or almond milk
    almonds or any kind of nuts
    pretzels
    bananas
    apples

Good luck to you! Don't be afraid to consume some things with a little fat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...

This.
    Don't complain when someone criticises you. don't moan about not eating enough. Order a ****ing takeway once in a while if you want to up calories. Grazing too. I don't even know you but how you worded your op, I cant tell what type of person you are and will not accept anyone's advice just get defensive so what are you really doing here?

Sorry to be harsh but sometimes its needed.

Edit - also you say on your profile you need to loose weight not gain it. So why post about needing help to eat and up your calories? Isn't tnat why you're on this website? Because you ate too much?

What a nasty, nasty post.
    Sadly, no matter how much weight some lose, they will always remain unattractive on the inside.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Low fat butter? :noway: If you're trying to up your calories, don't eat 'low-fat' versions of yogurt, milk or cheese. The rest of your shopping list looks pretty good to me. If you're open to it, protein powder for shakes is a great way to get in more calories without stuffing your stomach up.

Kale for your anemia, it has lots of iron and it's easy to sneak into smoothies and salads.

Hehe. I was baffled at seeing low fat butter at the store. I picked it up to see the ingredients. Just butter and salt. Then how is it low fat? Oh, they just dilute it Lol. I bet they love selling less of the exact same product for the same price.

As to the op, I have the same problem. I have had 450 calories today and no desire or appetite to eat more. I am trying to lose though so I don't guess it's all bad. I do need to get at least 900 tho. Choke it down!!!!!!!!!

This is a sad answer. You should probably not be helping someone who seems to want to do the right thing.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you have only logged food twice over the past month. One day was just under 1200 and one was over. I would suggest concentrating on logging your food consistently. It is easy to under or over estimate your calorie intake when you aren't logging it- the good and the bad choices.
    Good luck.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    hello i had belemia when i was 15 also and was a horrible time in my life.

remember seasonings for meat so things are not boring and snacking stuff like dried fruit and nuts

peanut butter is really bad tho hun

Peanut butter is not bad. Hun. Stop feeding the poor OP misinformation. Like every other food in the world, it has it's own nutritional value, and can be made a part of a healthy, even calorie-conscious, diet. If it fits your calories, there is nothing wrong with it,
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from an eating disorder and it's made my appetite small and metabolism slow.
    I try to eat healthy but I can't think of what to eat and now this app keeps telling me off for not eating enough calories. I eat under 1,000 calories a day at the moment and I can't help it.

I'm due to go grocery shopping tomorrow and can't think what else to put on my list, so far I have :-
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Mayonnaise
    Porridge
    Eggs
    Frozen Vegetables
    Steak (This has to be part of my diet because of my anemia)
    Chicken
    Rice (Brown/Wholegrain)
    Pork Chops
    Sugar (I don't use it often, mostly I have it in for when people are visiting and want sugar in their tea/coffee)
    Celery
    Tinned Fish (I love mixing this in with rice or salad)
    Squash (can't stomach plain water but I'm trying to stay away from pure juices and fizzy drinks)
    Peanut Butter
    Jam (Low Sugar/Sugar Free)
    Butter (Low Fat)
    Bread
    Grapes/Blueberries/Strawberries (whatever of those fruits is on offer or in season at the time)
    Mushrooms
    Baked Beans! (My guilty pleasure!)
    Spring Onions

What else should be on the list? And what of those things shouldn't be on the list? x

Enjoy your shopping and happy eating! Your list doesn't look that different than my own.
  • MaryContary
    Options
    One tip I found helpful when its overwhelming to think of eating a big plate full of food, is to make a wrap. I put my spread of choice on, lettuce, tomato, lunchmeat, etc....then wrap it up. It is not nearly as difficult to get those calories in when I am not staring at a big plate of food. Good Luck to you!
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat butter? :noway: If you're trying to up your calories, don't eat 'low-fat' versions of yogurt, milk or cheese. The rest of your shopping list looks pretty good to me. If you're open to it, protein powder for shakes is a great way to get in more calories without stuffing your stomach up.

Kale for your anemia, it has lots of iron and it's easy to sneak into smoothies and salads.

Hehe. I was baffled at seeing low fat butter at the store. I picked it up to see the ingredients. Just butter and salt. Then how is it low fat? Oh, they just dilute it Lol. I bet they love selling less of the exact same product for the same price.

As to the op, I have the same problem. I have had 450 calories today and no desire or appetite to eat more. I am trying to lose though so I don't guess it's all bad. I do need to get at least 900 tho. Choke it down!!!!!!!!!

This is a sad answer. You should probably not be helping someone who seems to want to do the right thing.

It works for me so I thought I'd share. I'm about to go force myself to eat another can of tuna and mustard. Ugh.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Add some fruit!
  • youngmommab
    Options
    I've updated my food log - hopefully that helps people see what I'm on about.

I'm terrible, I write down what I eat on my notepad in the kitchen so that I can put it on here and then I forget to put it on here haha.

I'm going to look up some smoothie recipes as when I do my food shopping at the end of the month I'm planning to get a bunch of fruit and make a huge batch of smoothies and then freeze them so they last me as long as I need them too.

I get my vegetables from Abel and Cole so that it's a bit of a variety.
    I'm going to go back to the full fat version of things except milk and butter. Because high cholestrol runs in my family so I use low cholestrol butter and I can't stand full fat milk but I'll get semi skimmed instead of the 2% stuff I've been getting so far x
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've updated my food log - hopefully that helps people see what I'm on about.

I'm terrible, I write down what I eat on my notepad in the kitchen so that I can put it on here and then I forget to put it on here haha.

I'm going to look up some smoothie recipes as when I do my food shopping at the end of the month I'm planning to get a bunch of fruit and make a huge batch of smoothies and then freeze them so they last me as long as I need them too.

I get my vegetables from Abel and Cole so that it's a bit of a variety.
    I'm going to go back to the full fat version of things except milk and butter. Because high cholestrol runs in my family so I use low cholestrol butter and I can't stand full fat milk but I'll get semi skimmed instead of the 2% stuff I've been getting so far x

I know that feeling about the milk. I grew up on the skim stuff so I feel like I'm drinking ice cream if I drink whole milk lol

Also this might be interesting to you http://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-not-to-worry-about-your-cholesterol-numbers
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...

This.
    Don't complain when someone criticises you. don't moan about not eating enough. Order a ****ing takeway once in a while if you want to up calories. Grazing too. I don't even know you but how you worded your op, I cant tell what type of person you are and will not accept anyone's advice just get defensive so what are you really doing here?

Sorry to be harsh but sometimes its needed.

Edit - also you say on your profile you need to loose weight not gain it. So why post about needing help to eat and up your calories? Isn't tnat why you're on this website? Because you ate too much?

I don't have a problem with constructive criticism - if she'd told me I need to eat more calories and offered advice then crack on. But just leaving a comment telling me something I'd already stated? Not really advice!

No your harsh commented isn't needed in the slightest. It offers no advice. No I didn't eat too much, I had a baby. I was force fed for most of my pregnancy because of not eating enough. When you don't eat enough your body clings to what it does have which makes you fat - I need to up my calorie intake to 1,200 - 1,400 to be able to effectively lose weight. I'm not gaining weight, I'm not eating too much. I'm stuck at the same weight and struggling. Excuse me for thinking this forum was here to help. I wasn't aware me asking for help meant I deserved slating!

A few points you mentioned - I have no problem accepting advice. I don't get defensive. If you looked at my comment I accepted other peoples advice. I didn't come on here with an "I can't be bothered" attitude.

I'm not made of money so I can't order a takeaway, even once in a while, when that money needs to go on clothing my son who is growing like a weed.

You're right, you don't know me. And instead of being helpful, supportive or trying to get to know the situation you've told me I'm too defensive and then called me a pig and accused me of over eating... Maybe you should look up the fact that under eating can make you fatter than over eating.

Oh god your reply made me cheer. I love a great comeback.
    I have gone through some similar things like you but have avoided posting about anything about it on here because I've seen how rude and nasty people can be. You got some great advice on here, I don't think I can offer much more than a good luck and hope you get healthy :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a nutritionist? They can be helpful on this subject. If you are in the US, you could apply for WIC benefits, and they could give you some good stuff to start off with.

I'd def do full fat milk, eat cashews and high fat nuts, peanut butter, ground beef or cheap steak cuts.