Carrots are Icky

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Have you tried them mashed into mashed potatoes?

My dad used to put rutabaga and carrots into our mashed potatoes with lots of salt and pepper when we were kids and it was SOOO good. Or you can cook them in the juices of chicken or beef until caramelized and it's ridiculously good!

They're really good boiled and mashed in with potatoes. I second this. I was carroted out and hadn't eaten a raw carrot in years. Then I saw carrot chips and pb in a friend's diary and decided to give it a try. That's been my afternoon snack all week.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said carrot cake yet?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said carrot cake yet?

Yes, and bacon
  • My oldest daughter hates cooked carrots (and red meat) so I grate them and hide them mashed sweet potato and pumpkin. She still doesn't know she eats them daily.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if you don't like carrots?
    Why do you need something similar?
    Most people have something they don't enjoy eating, and simply skip it and get on with eating whatever else they enjoy eating.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't like carrots. There is only one way I'll eat carrots and that's when it's in my chicken chili.
    Other than that, I pick them out and make my boyfriend eat them.
    I don't know why I don't like them.

I want to know, is there anything similar to them that I can eat that I won't pick out? :laugh:

I hate cooked carrots. Grate or blend them into food instead of putting chunks in, grated carrot cooks to nothing. I still use way more onions tho. If you intend to have a family your boyfriend needs to get over his pickiness - you want a healthy father for your child and a good role model in terms of eating habits.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if you don't like carrots?
    Why do you need something similar?
    Most people have something they don't enjoy eating, and simply skip it and get on with eating whatever else they enjoy eating.
    I like to try new things, which is why I want to find similar.
    I do skip over carrots, but I'd like to try them, especially in a different form
  • rissaloses
    rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try blending them into a soup. My favorite is split pea soup. Once it is pureed, you can't even tell there are carrots in it. Personally, I love carrots, especially chunks of them in soup.

how does one go about making soup?
    I'm so new to cooking and what not

My split pea soup is very simple (if you buy a bag of split peas, there is often a recipe on the bag).
    2 cups dried split green peas, rinsed
    2 cups chopped carrots (not necessary to peel them)
    2 cups chopped celery (don't forget the leaves)
    1 head cauliflower, chopped (have also used 16 oz frozen)

Add all ingredients in a large pot, pour over enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until pad are tender (I cook for about an hour on the stove, but you can also pour everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours) As long as you cook on low with a lid, you cannot overcook this since it will be pureed. When peas are tender, the soup will be a bit chunky, you can blend with an immersion blender or regular blender to a consistency of your liking. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder -- or any other seasoning you like. Serve with shredded cheese, sliced green onions, chopped ham or bacon... it's very versatile.
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I liked cooked carrots but not raw carrots
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try blending them into a soup. My favorite is split pea soup. Once it is pureed, you can't even tell there are carrots in it. Personally, I love carrots, especially chunks of them in soup.

how does one go about making soup?
    I'm so new to cooking and what not

My split pea soup is very simple (if you buy a bag of split peas, there is often a recipe on the bag).
    2 cups dried split green peas, rinsed
    2 cups chopped carrots (not necessary to peel them)
    2 cups chopped celery (don't forget the leaves)
    1 head cauliflower, chopped (have also used 16 oz frozen)

Add all ingredients in a large pot, pour over enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until pad are tender (I cook for about an hour on the stove, but you can also pour everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours) As long as you cook on low with a lid, you cannot overcook this since it will be pureed. When peas are tender, the soup will be a bit chunky, you can blend with an immersion blender or regular blender to a consistency of your liking. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder -- or any other seasoning you like. Serve with shredded cheese, sliced green onions, chopped ham or bacon... it's very versatile.

I'll have to try! Thank you :)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Celery is icky. I feel like I'm eating hair with the weird little strands when you bite into it.
    I eat them with peanut butter

I've tried that... I just can't get over the little strings. It's a little better in soup when it's squishy

I slice both carrots (i find baby carrots less objectionable) and celery in a garlic slicer. The carrots because when they are paper thin they stick to the lettuce in my salads. The celery, since the fibrous stands run long ways, shaving them paper thin gets rid of the objectionable fibrous mouth feel. Plus it cooks down really well in soup/stew helping to create the thicker. broth.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't like carrots. There is only one way I'll eat carrots and that's when it's in my chicken chili.

I want to know, is there anything similar to them that I can eat that I won't pick out? :laugh:

How about rainbow carrots? Carrots come in all different colors and they taste different then the orange ones, but have similar nuturitional value. If It's mostly a taste thing,
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Celery is icky. I feel like I'm eating hair with the weird little strands when you bite into it.

Good chip substitute with a little salt on them.. lol
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots are disgusting!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat carrots, so if you don't want to, don't.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Carrots are REALLY good in Carrot Cake.. ]:laugh: just sayin'..
    Or Carrot Cake Pancakes :)
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Why not just choose a diff veg to eat? I don't mind carrots but I hardly use them in my cooking.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to try new things, and there are so many veggies out there that all taste so different and can be prepared in different ways I wouldn't worry if you come across something you don't like.

Roasting carrots can make them super tasty if you haven't tried that yet.

When I come across something I don't like I'll normally give it another go in a few years as tastes really do change, especially when your diet changes and you get used to new things.

I will have to ask the BF to try this. I can't stand carrots, they actually make me feel nauseas. But he really likes them and is bereft that he can't prepare them for our dinners. Maybe this will help us both out!

Roasting is the best, preferably with meat. I'm not crazy about carrots unless they're fixed this way, then I love them.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them. I love them, so they are one of my go-to snacks.

Ditto
  • rabidrabbott
    rabidrabbott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-vitamin-A.php
    These are the top ten foods containing vitamin A. I would say cantaloupes or sweet potatoes would be your best bet. Dried herbs have a lot of nutrition across the board, but you're probably not going to eat a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Lettuce is a good choice to if you want a salad, but choose your dressing wisely. 2 tablespoons of ranch contains around 130 calories and is high in fat. This sucks because dipping carrots in ranch tastes good. Also give baby carrots a try. I don't know why, but full carrots have a bitter taste sometimes, but baby carrots taste better... I think. Good luck!