A question about milk

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
Lately I have been having a protein shake every morning to help hit my protein macro. I tried using water, didn't like the taste, so I am using skim milk. I see a bunch of people using almond milk for things. Almond milk has less calories, but also less protein, so here is my question:

Almond milk or skim/lowfat milk? What do you use and why?

Replies

• MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use almond or soy, but I don't like regular milk.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who say they dont like skim milk because it tastes watery/ too thin to them but to me, Almond Milk is very thin/watery.

I use skim milk for everything.

if you are concerned about your protein levels you can add protein powder to your shake and drink it with whatever milk you prefer.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    If I'm having a shake as a meal I use 1% milk. (that's what my son drinks) If I'm just trying to up my protein I use plain water to save calories. I mix it up and drink it fast. I find almond and soy milk too sweet for me.
  • cesereda
    Options
    I make smoothy's and I use plain low fat yogurt in them. I have not tried to make protien shakes yet so I am not sure if this can help you or not. The yogurt is great in the smoothy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Skim cow milk. It's yummy.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I've never liked the taste of regular milk, but love all other dairy products. I make mine with 1% chocolate milk.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    with semi skim milk
    because this is the one I like...
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk. I don't care for almond milk, but it might okay in a shake...
  • angputch
    Options
    Almond milk is great in shakes, I used to have one every morning. I'd save the calories and the consitancy is great in a shake!! I also used to add a little raw oats to it too, it's a great filling breakfast!!
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I drink human milk from the source.

And we have a winner!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so it is almond milk for me. I do think some of the protein powders mix better in the almond milk than they do in regular milk, but I have only tried a few kinds so I am not the best judge here. I think coconut milk tastes a lot better in chocolate protein powder, but that is just preference and nothing to do with what is a better choice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I tried the almond milk. It tasted good, but I was struggling to hit my protein macros. So I switched back to skim milk.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of skim milk but I keep almond milk around for a second option.

ETA: I'm lactose sensitive so I drink lactose-free skim milk.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I would use whole milk if my wife remembered that's what I asked for, but it seems I usually have 2% instead. Have any of you actually looked at the difference between whole and 2% or something? It's like 2g of fat per cup. ZOMG
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Whole milk
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I would use milk if I could drink it, but i can't, so I use coconut milk.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i use whatever im in the mood for. coconut milk is yummy too. but with give a thicker consistency (though i suppose that could depend on the brand used). i try to keep almond milk, coconut milk, and whole milk in the fridge and just grab one
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Alpro soya hazelnut milk its low on cals and its really nice on my cereal, but usually use semi skim milk for anything else
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Milk providing you have no lactose issues, the calcium is more easily absorbed.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I LOVE milk, so I use that (a 1.5% one), and I love the extra protein it gives me. Needing to watch my calories is not an issue for me...but if it was, I'd probably just go down to a skim milk rather than a non dairy "milk", just cause I prefer the taste.