I'm 5'0" and eat 1500 calories. My story of weight loss.

Options

Replies

• tangled01
    tangled01 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I am 5'2, been at 1200 calories for 3 months, exercising twice every single day before I stopped doing anything because I was always hungry, exhausted, feeling guilty, mad at myself and my weight has been up and down. It was frustrating. I restarted mfp 3 weeks ago, been exercising for 6 days a week, eating 1200 calories then I read about tdee, bmr and all that stuff. I upped my calories to 1700 and I'm hoping for changes. I am also terrified to eat more!! I don't know if I'm doing it right...but your post gave me hope.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories and be hungry or eat 1200 calories and be satisfied throughout the day, the same goes for 1300 or 1500 calories or whatever. It has to do more with what you are eating.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bumpity!
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this thread. I am set at 1250 and over the last few days (end of working week) was feeling tired when I got home from work and was beginning to wonder whether 1250 was too little although I did not feel hungry. I never used to eat my exercise calories back much but have slowly started to and I am feeling better. It will be interesting to see how I feel back at work after the weekend. I wear a pedometer every day and I can do over 10,000 steps a day easy even though I have a desk job but like another poster here, I walk during all my breaks. So it has been interesting and informative reading what other people have found out. I am not quite game enough to customize my goals yet and I am sticking with what MFP has set for me for now but seeing what result I get eating back the exercise calories.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm 4"11 and currently weight 106-110 pounds, I've lost and maintained 25lbs for a year. My story is similar to others in that I ate low calorie for a long time and while it initially worked I stopped losing. I decreased my calories drastically, and was exercising like a mad woman. Obviously this wasn't sustainable (not to mention that it didnt work) and I gradually increased my calories to 1600 (TDEE -20%) because of the advice on the forum. However, I decided that the scale and me were not friends, so I ditched that too, and worked on what I wanted to see in the mirror. So I focused on cleaning up the diet and getting in some strength training and moderate cardio. Since I have started strength training I have seen such a difference, and I'm now quite addicted lol!

I'm so much happier eating 1600 cals, as it gives me room for unexpected drinks with friends and just life in general. I feel so much happier eating how I do now and so much healthier too. Sometimes I struggle to eat all my cals, and sometimes I go over, I like to look at my weekly progress, as an average, as it means I have a bit more wiggle room.

Anyway to all those shorties out there, don't assume you have to eat 1200! Fill in your TDEE and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other comments so idk if anyone else said this, but there's no really no difference between eating 1200 calories plus your exercise calories, and eating a gross of 1500 without counting exercise calories. If you burn 300 calories or more its the same thing. I'm 5'1" and mfp has me set at 1260 to lose 1lb a week. Once I eat back my exercise calories I end up in the 1500 calorie range total but the net still works out to 1260. So either way it's the same thing.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Fellow shortie
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What a great post/thread. Thank you.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    wow, so glad and happy to hear this. I am 5'9" and have 900 cal days sometimes. I started upping my cals but not for very long. I am finally settling on 2000 now but haven`t had any luck losing weight yet. I actually haven`t gotten to 2000 except one day this . ON the weekend I am sure I will. Big hiking trip keeps my calories down too low.

Gee, it`s good to hear that eating more worked for you. Maybe it will work for me too....

oh, and at 5'9" MFP set my initial calories at 1260. I think I just got my activity level totally wrong.
  • blytheny
    blytheny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic, as I was just wondering about all this myself. I am having a VERY hard time figuring out the whole calorie thing... 1200 is MFP's set goal for me, and I can force my way to it some days, and have to keep myself under tight control to not go over on others.

When I excercise, I burn 600-700 cals, and have NOT been eating them back... some, maybe 200, but not all or even half. I'm scared to do it, as I have an almost non-existent metabolism and I don't trust it.

But I'm wondering if I just need to take the plunge and try eating more... I'm hearing all these stories about people on here losing 40-50 lbs since March, and I'm trying to figure out why I've only lost 10 since May. :/ I eat very healthy, I excercise 3-4x/week doing the eliptical machine and weights... so I'm frustrated, and the only thing I think I can change is maybe eating MORE.

Odd concept, as everyone here has said, but I guess maybe I'll give it a shot?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories and be hungry or eat 1200 calories and be satisfied throughout the day, the same goes for 1300 or 1500 calories or whatever. It has to do more with what you are eating.

I agree with this!
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm a shortee and I needed to ear that!
  • 20smthngBlonde
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm 5'3" and currently terrified to eat more than 1200 even though I know I should, so your words may help me step back in that direction. I was getting better results when I ate around 1400-1500 total and 200-300 of them were earned exercise calories. I know it's theoretically all the same, but my BMR is around 1400 and I feel much less tired, cold, and achy, and lose weight faster when I eat my BMR's worth even when I'm at 1200 net. I eat really clean, so 1200 gross is fine on days that I'm truly sedentary, but it's not sustainable for a healthy, active lifestyle.
  • urgravity01
    Options
    The main thing to lose weight is cycling and running these are two best ways to maintain body fitness. With this you have to tried some diet plans that are very best to get the desired weight loss goal. With this the digital quality fitbit devices are also best to lose weight.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :)<3 This
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your post. I've been on here for almost three weeks. The site also told me to eat 1200. I am 5'2". I figured I would try to do that, but then did some more reading. Ended up deciding on 1500. I've done that for 2 1/2 weeks, and am down 4 1/2 pounds. I only want to lose 1 pound a week, so may be upping my calories to 1600. Have to see how it goes over more time.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I am a 6ft2 tall lady and it took me a while to realize that I didnt have to eat at 1200 calories to lose weight healthily either! Madness right! I am now on a healthy 1930 calories, and dont eat anything back. Feeling great, losing weight and EATING!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way also..started out at 1200 and was miserable and hungry all the time....within that time is when I had two binges..go figure! Then I plateaued for like 6 weeks. Upped my cals and wham bam! Started losing again. I am 5 ft also and to starve yourself is not worth it...very uncomfortable and unhealthy. I still have days where I "go to bed hungry" but that is ok..the feeling passes.....