feud with the gym teacher

Options
So I am not a marathon runner, but I have always been taught that while running, you should aim to breathe in a natural, steady, rhythmic pattern with your footfalls....in through the nose, out through the mouth.

So...

My son came home from school the other day complaining about running in gym class. Mind you, he is not a runner and gets winded pretty quickly, but he tries. He stopped to catch his breath and his gym teacher told him that when he is struggling to breathe while running, he should hold his breath as long as he can and push through it. My son says that he feels like he's going to pass out when he does this but the teacher insists.

We're not talking about track & field or cross country here...we are talking about 4th graders.

Am I right to be upset or is there a benefit to holding your breath while running???

Replies

• peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's a school gym coach...they're not fitness experts!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. Sounds bizarre, but I have zero formal training on the subject.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So some think that holding your breath helps increase lung capacity but I haven't found anything that would convince me this is true so yeah, I agree with you. When I struggle breathing, I take deep breaths and try to let it out slowly to try to get control back, NEVER hold my breath
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Speak with the teacher and/or principal.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's a school gym coach...they're not fitness experts!

I'm not sure a school coach couldn't be an expert.

It was apparently a technique in vogue with swimming coaches once - meant to increase conditioning faster. Does it work? Does it work for running? Of that, I have no idea......
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe they meant in terms of taking deeper breaths?

i dunno but holding your breath while running doesn't sound right unless you're running underwater
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to take deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth to settle the heart rate down. Holding your breath is really weird.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Lots of things might be "really weird", but that doesn't really speak to the effectiveness of the technique or not.

Like I said, it's not so in vogue with swimming coaches any more. As far as runners, at least one world record holder and one gold medal winner in the 80's were trained in hypoxic techniques by their coaches. However, the hypoxic training could have had little or no effect, or even retarded gains they may have experienced with the training. Without a counter-factual case it's hard to say.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Im not a runner but, does not sound legit
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    interesting...

the research that I found says a lot of the same as you mentioned, and I wanted to get some objective opinions and info before taking on the teacher myself. Thanks for that, all!

I do know that it's creating a LOT of anxiety for my son as he dreads going to school on "gym days" just because of this.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    If the pupil complains of severe discomfort, and this is in the context of breath (necessary for life), and the teacher 'insists'
    I am comfortable declaring the teacher to be a huge *kitten*. You might want to pass that message onto the principle.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    The gym teacher is an idiot. Like they say, those that can do, do. Those that can't, teach.
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options

I am comfortable declaring the teacher to be a huge *kitten*. You might want to pass that message onto the principle.

LMAO. You are after my heart.
  • fallenoaks
    Options
    The teacher can't force him to do this. It's his body, his choice. What's going to happen if he says no? He gets detention or fails the class for not holding his breath? Not likely.

Sounds like it could be a liability issue if a kid actually does pass out and hits their head, or if the kid is having an asthma attack instead of just trying to catch their breath.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Hasn't she ever watched the Magic School Bus muscle episode?! Sheesh! Even Miss Frizzle knows better than your son's gym teacher! I think it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgVeY0Rlh4
  • jimmmer
    Options
    interesting...

the research that I found says a lot of the same as you mentioned, and I wanted to get some objective opinions and info before taking on the teacher myself. Thanks for that, all!

I do know that it's creating a LOT of anxiety for my son as he dreads going to school on "gym days" just because of this.

It's not cool if it's wigging your son out! Whether the technique is valid or not, is irrelevant. I bet if you took him/her aside and mentioned your son's fears then there should be a different way forward that doesn't freak him out..... if not, then you've got a problem and it's time to punch the teacher. But try to be reasonable first!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hasn't she ever watched the Magic School Bus muscle episode?! Sheesh! Even Miss Frizzle knows better than your son's gym teacher! I think it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgVeY0Rlh4

Ms. Frizzle knows ALL.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    What a great opportunity for you. This is where you talk to him about the difference between suggestions, and demands, and that not everyone who gives him advice know what the **** they are talking about.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    That sounds... unlikely to work. In fact it sounds borderline insane. The correct thing for son to do (or any new runner of any age) is to slow down and/or use intervals of walking to prevent getting out of breath in the first place. A training run should never have you badly out of breath unless it's speed training or sprints or something. Go slower to get faster is one of the tenets of modern running and works for everyone of every age. There are exceptions at the professional or world class amateur level, but not many fourth graders qualify there, and even then this doesn't sound like an Alberto Salazar training plan. I might go so far as to go into the schools and ask this guy why in the hell he's telling kids to minimize oxygen intake during an aerobic activity.
    I'm not sure a school coach couldn't be an expert.

It was apparently a technique in vogue with swimming coaches once - meant to increase conditioning faster. Does it work? Does it work for running? Of that, I have no idea......

It sounds pretty damn sketchy to me as far as the physiological reasoning, but even then you're talking about a technique for athletes intended to improve an already fit swimmer's cardiovascular system to an even greater level of fitness. Not something you tell an out of breath 4th grader.
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    All this has gotten me thinking about the Presidential Fitness Test they do in gym class....
    At my son's age, he has to run a 9 minute mile to pass, a 7 minute mile to get an award. That's 6-7 mph, and I know a lot of adults who can't do that.

If students do not pass this test, are there consequences for the teacher? Much like if students fail the proficiency tests for academics? Could this be why the gym teacher is doing this, so he can push the kids to pass the test and not get in trouble himself?