If you throw up should you eat more?

Options
Strange question I know but I haven't been sick in years.

About two hours ago I felt horrible from eating too much coconut oil and threw up. I had about 70g/4-5 tablespoons of it in the space of 9 hours) A lot of it was coconut oil (and a bit of porridge oats that I a few minutes after I had the oil) and I feel much better and do not plan to eat any more for a while - which is a real shame considering I spent more than £20 ($30) on 3 tubs only yesterday!

I'm trying to gain weight, so I'm wondering if I should eat more fats to get my macros back up or should I eat more a mixture? My diary is open and I generally pre-log when I have the day off.

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    You should definitely hydrate I can tell you that.

And 70g of straight up oil in one day? sounds very very strange... and unappatezing... Why not have something tasty.?

How much over your TDEE are you aiming to eat?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on a fitness page on Facebook recommended the oil so I wanted to try it. I had a bit for breakfast, then a few hours later, and again, and again. Aside from the mixed nuts I didn't have any other real source of healthy fats aside from the oil.

I usually eat about ~3000 calories a day and my TDEE is ~2700.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Eat.......don't eat.........one day isn't going to derail you either way. If the oil doesn't sit well with you eat something else instead.....maybe peanut butter?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Strange question I know but I haven't been sick in years.

About two hours ago I felt horrible from eating too much coconut oil and threw up. I had about 70g/4-5 tablespoons of it in the space of 9 hours) A lot of it was coconut oil (and a bit of porridge oats that I a few minutes after I had the oil) and I feel much better and do not plan to eat any more for a while - which is a real shame considering I spent more than £20 ($30) on 3 tubs only yesterday!

I'm trying to gain weight, so I'm wondering if I should eat more fats to get my macros back up or should I eat more a mixture? My diary is open and I generally pre-log when I have the day off.

I used to.

EatLikeAnAthlete, I like that name *it* would be fun. *They* mostly eat high calorie junk food. I wish i was more active.

What is it and who are they?
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    to much of any kind of oil straight up will make you sick... just cut back.. and dont just striaght up eat it.. cook with it, make things with it.. chicken thighs (unbreaded) or potatoes fried in coconut oil is super yummy.. and wont make you throw up
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat some more. Coconut oil won't make you throw up if you eat it in reasonable quantities. You aren't going to be able to eat 7 Tbl of it in a short amount of time, though, without adding some more food in there. Porridge and oil are not enough. Can you try adding cheeses and avocado and nuts and using full fat dairy in addition to using some coconut oil? Coconut oil is great for sauteeing or frying. You can add a little bit to smoothies or coffee....but not more than one tablespoon at a time, I would think.

Buy some ice cream. Much more pleasant. Hamburger with cheese....pizza with extra cheese and vegetables...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would let your stomach completely settle and not worry about today's intake. It's just one day.

Eat according to feel for the rest of the day. (If you are hungry and your stomach is fine, eat. If it is still queezy and you don't have an appetite then just drink fluids and don't panic about today).

That's how I'd handle it anyways.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, but when my stomach is pissed, it's best to tread lightly
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Honestly I would like to rescind my previous statement. While I do feel it is right it could set a dangerous precedent on not staying in your cals/macros each day. Seeing as you have already logged what you ate, I think the only real solution is to eat it again after throwing up. This should keep you on track.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I wanna eat like a pig and look like a goddess...

I certainly do not wanna consume oil in it's pure form at all. *dry heaving at the thought*

maybe try real food and ease up on the oil *more dry heaves*

*dry heave*

oil

*dry heave*
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

I certainly do not wanna consume oil in it's pure form at all. *dry heaving at the thought*

*dry heave*

oil

*dry heave*

really need to work on that gag reflex....
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Always eat back your calories.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    More than two teaspoons of coconut oil makes my intestines like greased lightning. I can barely swallow food before it's coming out the other end, man.

Mix it with something like eggs or peanut butter or something for sure.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

*dry heave*

oil

*dry heave*

as long as it's not oil, I should be fine... thanks darlin. ;)
  • TXPURL
    TXPURL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you've just started eating coconut oil, you might not want to eat 3T all at once. :smile: Start with 1T per day, perhaps in small portions. When I drink coffee, I like to add a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. I eat 1-2 T coconut oil per day and it keeps me feeling fuller longer so I don't over indulge at meals. Your goal is the opposite of mine, but you could easily replace butter or cooking oils in your diet with coconut oil.

As for your stomach being upset. give your system some time to settle down then try some clear soup to start. And don't give up on coconut oil--just give yourself time to get used to it.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would let your stomach completely settle and not worry about today's intake. It's just one day.

Eat according to feel for the rest of the day. (If you are hungry and your stomach is fine, eat. If it is still queezy and you don't have an appetite then just drink fluids and don't panic about today).

That's how I'd handle it anyways.

agree here....let your stomache settle...IT IS SAYING TO LEAVE IT ALONE....go easy, IF you are hungry and try smething other that fats to start out with...it s alo possible, think about t, you may be getting the FLU..it is rampant right now....watch your body right now, but make sure you do drink plenty of water....if you feel ok tomorrow, then get back to the pogram, but I would do a liittle slower on any liquid oil,, esp "straight up"...or foryour fats you might try avacados...buy them n before they go up because of the weather.....hope you feel better....
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you puked from eating straight oil (icK!) and not from having a stomach virus??
    In either case....I wouldn't eat until your stomach has settled. If you upset the lining of your stomach, you most likely won't be doing it any favors by forcing more food down there.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

*dry heave*

oil

*dry heave*

as long as it's not oil, I should be fine... thanks darlin. ;)

Even if it's 3T or more?
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Being a parent. BRAT diet

B bananas
    R rice/oatmeal
    A applesauce
    T toast/crackers
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Take a day off from worrying about it. Just worry about your stomach and get some fluids back in you.