What was your "ah ha" weightloss moment for motivation??

Options
Hey guys, I was wondering what was the moment you can remember that motivated you to start your weight loss journey?? Mine, besides my upcoming wedding, was the day my mom told me I should invest in a spanx/shaper thing. She said "everyone wears them now." LOL I just thought, no way!! I need to get my butt moving!

Replies

• ClydeFrogRIP
    Options
    My most recent:

My bf and I recently moved to an apartment on the 7th floor. 2 weeks ago the elevators were running super slow so I decided to take the stairs.. I could barely make it. As embarrassing as it is, I actually had to stop for a breather on the 6th floor. That's when I realized how out of shape I got.
  • stephurban
    stephurban Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I knew I was going into grad school for Physical Therapy and decided I needed to religously practice what I preach
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The death of my mom from cancer, a cancer that puts you at higher risk if you're overweight (she was). I knew I was digging my own grave and had to change or my kids would be going through losing their mom too soon like I did. Lost 110 pounds in a year and never looking back.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I got out of breath going up one flight of stairs and nearly cried when I looked at the number on the scale that day.
  • Leanalgreen
    Leanalgreen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations KeeponKickin. That is an amazing accomplishment.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The day my doctor diagnosed me as "obese".
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor in March of last year because i was having pain in the center of my chest after eating, and was diagnosed with acid reflux. He talked to me about dietary changes, and gave me a two week sample of Nexium. I walked out of there, and it struck me that at 42 years old and 338 pounds, this was just the beginning. I knew that it would end up being medicine for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I just decided I did not want to have to take medicine for something I could fix myself.
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for a few months and I'd start and then something would happen and I'd fall off the wagon....but the other day, I had a conversation with my friend on the phone( nothing said in particular, just a conversation), but after that, I inexplicably felt highly motivated to ramp things up. I'd been in the "thinking" stages of several plans of action, but had not implemented any of them. Since then, I took action and prepared and started a firm eating plan, and have "join the Y" on the list of things "to do" after work. This weird sense of motivation has extended to a number of things I've needed to do outside of the weight loss issue. It's like my brain isn't hearing all the excuses my inner voice has for putting things off anymore. Even the fact that I somehow injured myself doing the grocery shopping yesterday hasn't stopped me. Things are just getting done!

Oddly, I have a similar feeling as to when I quit smoking nearly 11 years ago. It's just a sense of rightness.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself at a kid's birthday party.... before that I was the type of person to look in the mirror and think " wow, I am really not that fat." Wrong! I have been suffering with back problems, foot and knee problems, all related to be too heavy! The day I woke up to the truth was amazing, and humbling.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There were, and continue to be many, but the one I remember the most was when my daughter drew a picture of our family and she drew me round. kinda funny, but ouch!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow...thanks, MOM! lol

Mine was when my Dad died suddenly this past July and I gained about 8-10 lbs. My pants and clothes just weren't fitting well anymore and I could feel "things" jiggle...not good. So I am recently motivated again to get back into those clothes again and then eventually grow out of them again...but in the good way. ;) So taking one meal at a time, looking to get in about 1600 cal/day and get in about 4000-5000 cal burned per week. Just visualizing myself at goal and wearing less clothing in Summer and looking GOOD. :bigsmile:
  • Pinkgurl13
    Pinkgurl13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My friend posted a picture of herself online... a much skinnier version! I was soo jealous! She told me she used MFP. That day I signed up and started counting calories!

That was only 3 weeks ago, so I have a long way to still go!

:)
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for a few months and I'd start and then something would happen and I'd fall off the wagon....but the other day, I had a conversation with my friend on the phone( nothing said in particular, just a conversation), but after that, I inexplicably felt highly motivated to ramp things up. I'd been in the "thinking" stages of several plans of action, but had not implemented any of them. Since then, I took action and prepared and started a firm eating plan, and have "join the Y" on the list of things "to do" after work. This weird sense of motivation has extended to a number of things I've needed to do outside of the weight loss issue. It's like my brain isn't hearing all the excuses my inner voice has for putting things off anymore. Even the fact that I somehow injured myself doing the grocery shopping yesterday hasn't stopped me. Things are just getting done!

Oddly, I have a similar feeling as to when I quit smoking nearly 11 years ago. It's just a sense of rightness.

This is what I had 3 years ago, and got again now to finish the job! Everything is just falling into place well and I feel so much happier just for having made the right steps!
  • MaxsMomTN
    MaxsMomTN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine was after my last doctor's appointment, after talking with my Dad about my high cholesterol levels. I already have high blood pressure, and was told I needed to make changes to avoid having to go on medication to reduce my cholesterol. Both my Dad's parents died of congestive heart failure, as has my mother's parents....that's some kind of genetic history. My father at 67 has worked hard to stay healthy, he runs 5 to 7 miles a day and eats very healthy. He sat me down and told me he didn't want to bury his daughter so would I please take this seriously. I'm now taking this very seriously. Thanks Dad!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This is why I must get back into shape. My weight disgusts me. I did a 12 mile hike in September… Well, relatively, that was the most difficult hike I had ever done, though certainly not the most difficult objectively. I brought a half gallon of water, and some food for the journey, my camera, and off I went. After 3 miles I was completely out of energy. But those that know me and have hiked with me know that I am a hiking monster. I have endurance… even if that endurance is from sheer will. At mile three there was a hand pump well. I replenished about 32 ounces more of water at that time. It was a daunting task, pumping that well. It took several minutes to get the water flowing. At mile 6 I ran out of water; my body was telling me to stop. At mile 9 I was back at the pump. I pumped about 8 ounces of water, but I did not have the strength to pump any more. I started hallucinating from the dehydration. It was 84% humidity and in the mid 90s temp-wise. By this time, I began to pray the Rosary, and I was spotting places I could just curl up, and sleep into eternity. I went on with the power of the Rosary and Chaplet with sheer will. There is no excuse for me to be in this shape, and I am giving up the excuses and procrastination that lead to this state.
  • Christygogo
    Christygogo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, amazing stories! And Topher, I think it's pretty amazing you did a 12 mile hike BEFORE starting a fitness program!
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My sweet 7 year old told me I was fat.. She said it as nicely as possible but it crushed me.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I saw 250 on the scale. Heaviest I've ever been knew I needed to stop. I didn't want to wake up the next day and see 300
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I hated my life, I hated my body, I hated myself and I was in a bad relationship that I wouldn't leave because I thought no one else could possibly love me when I didn't love myself. I realized that of all the things going wrong in my life, the only thing I really had control over was me, I decided to focus all my energy on making me better, physically and mentally.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I reached my heaviest weight ever at 260. And the last 30 pounds happened FAST. I felt completely lost, helpless & hopeless. Honestly, I'd given up. I had no intention of changing. I was too sick to care. But I was preparing to move & I was running around like crazy. Without even trying, I lost 8 lbs in one week. That changed me & the way I was thinking. It gave me the hope I needed to "Try It". Once I tried, I knew I would "Do It".