What was your "ah ha" weightloss moment for motivation??

Options

Replies

• yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just didn't want to feel so disgusted with myself anymore.
  • rhubarboo
    Options
    I saw some pics of me taken at a wedding. On the day I felt like I looked good but the pics told the truth - I was a blob!!

It's my tenth wedding anniversary in August and I am going to fit back into my wedding dress. 45 more pounds to go and feeling very determined!
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    scale told me to "get off"..no just kidding, but i reached an alltime high if 297 and liver pain due to a fatty liver, so made diet changes that day, last fall figured out what was causing a food allergy so now there are absolutley no excuses....i can finally eat fruits and veggies, and my body is utilizing energy like it should! (side note, no more liver pain and it is not as enlarged!) thanks everyone for sharing!
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've had a few aha moments, but stupidly ignored them.

I looked shocking in my wedding photos.... I couldn't enjoy the day because I felt I was the 'fat bride'
    I had pre-eclampsyia when pregnant and was induced at 37 weeks.
    Finding out I weighed more than my Dad!
    I work on a Stroke Unit, and am seeing more and more ladies under my care, one with diabetes, a chronic lung condition and really awful leg ulcers.

But this time I'm just done with being fat, I'm done with the constant malaise over my life. I have a four year old daughter that I want to be proud of her mummy, and not get teased at school.

I'm 30, there is time for me to make the change!

So, its move it or lose it, lose life that is!
  • stace_19
    stace_19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hated my life, I hated my body, I hated myself and I was in a bad relationship that I wouldn't leave because I thought no one else could possibly love me when I didn't love myself. I realized that of all the things going wrong in my life, the only thing I really had control over was me, I decided to focus all my energy on making me better, physically and mentally.

^^^ Exactly how it was for me. Got married and had kids young. I went through a messy separation/divorce, where my children's father decided he wanted nothing to do with our children (at the time they were only 2 and 1) and he left me a copious amount of debt. But the biggest thing was, that I'd lost myself in the relationship and didn't know who I was anymore. Beginning my weight loss journey was difficult, but it has taught me how to love myself and rediscover who I am. I will never lose sight of who I am ever again!
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Most recently, I realised that I am not fit enough to protect my children. I could not climb a wall. I could not grab them and run away. I could not get them out of the house if there was a fire. I used to be a good swimmer, but I am not even sure I could save them if they fell in a river.
    I don't care if I end up with loose skin or if my tummy remains flabby after 3 pregnancies - I just want to be fitter and stronger.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a few

- I looked back through my facebook photos and saw how I was getting fatter and fatter over the years.
    - When I finally weighted myself my BMI was 29.2 – almost obese.
    - I weighed more than my friend Steve who is 6 foot and I am 5 foot 4.
    - I am gong to turn 30 this year – on my 29th birthday I was on overweight smoker and I don’t want to be either of these on my 30th.

I saw a friend over Christmas and I told her I was unhappy with my weight. She told me about the myfitnesspal app which I downloaded in the new year.
  • davoiscool
    davoiscool Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For a long time I had just been looking at every photo of myself taken and thinking what a fat guy. All of my friends were (and still are) lovely, but I hated myself completely (still do but no where near as much). I figured a 20 year old guy should not be this horrifically out of shape, especially when two years previously I had summitted Kilimanjaro.

The actually breaking point was when I saw someone who I'd know in my first year of uni who had lost 8 stone in weight. I was thinking if he can do it, I can.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    12/24/31 - the shooting pain that went through my hip as I stepped up to play my french horn at christmas ever services. Now that I am at goal weight, my motivation moment to get even fitter is the incredible natural high I get from ballet barre class.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was at karate with my kids, they were misbehaving so the whole class ended up with 60 pushups.

After 30 I thought all of my body parts were going to fail.
  • msommy
    msommy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I realized by looking at pictures of myself and realizing how I gained weight. And how gaining weight gave me health problems like Acid Reflux and the fact that I cannot feel my left outer thigh. It is numb as gaining weight must have pinched a nerve. I want to feel my leg again!!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The day my size 16 (UK) dress wouldn't do up.....
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a few

* every thanksgiving when the family is together all of us first cousins take a group picture, well my sister and I are tired of being the "fat cousins"

* finding out my cholesterol is sky high and I could possibly be on medication long term if not for life if I don't start doing some exercise and eating better

* i'm just not comfortable in my own skin, I weigh more now that I did when I was 9 months pregnant

All of this is no bueno for me !
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have a friend with huge kankles!! that is my motivation. im also getting married on october.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Searching for how many calories were lost by being sick (I was keeping my options open :noway: ) and came across a similar question that had been posted on MFP and all the responses telling the OP how ridiculous she sounded kick started my brain and I joined MFP. Never looked back :drinker:
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mine was being told by my doctor I couldn't use the contraceptive pill I'd been on for the past 11 years because my BMI had tipped over into the Obese category and thus they weren't legally allowed to prescribe it to me any more.

They may as well have just said "Well you've become a bit of a chunk haven't you?", it hit me like a punch in the gut!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Christmas 2011 - I climbed on the scales and saw 98 kilos - my highest ever. I thought "I am NOT going into triple figures" and started using MPF. I actually joined 6 months earlier but managed to not do anything about it. Looking back at my fat photos, I had body image problems - I didn't think I was as fat as I was.

MFP :heart: has been the best tool and learning curve for me, I love it.

(PS If you want to see how I looked, search in for forums for - 60 Aussie - and you will see where I was, and what MFP did for me)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I saw pictures of me on vacation, and then I Really saw them. And said No way that is me! Wait, um, that is me. OMG THAT'S ME! Yea, that was the day I started looking for a way to lose weight. Some of my co-workers recommended this site, and that was the beginning of my new life. Eating less wasn't doing it fast enough for me, so I started running. I hated running before, but now, it gets my Zen on. I've lost 44 lbs and I will NEVER gain it back. I like this me.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I kept bumping into things...spaces I had always been able to pass through without any problems were now problems...knocking things off desks and the like. What the heck...? Then I saw pictures.... Oy.
  • charlenelockhart3
    Options
    I had 2 firstly i got on the scales and was a stone heavier than i ever have been. That same night i was going to watch my husbands band performing for New Years Eve and being married to one of the members you always like to look your best especially as other girls tend to try it on with your other half. I went out that night and looked like utter poo. Hence this journey has begun, I also started a vlog on you tube to help me along the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZSIKgIoBI&feature=share&list=LLPVfEAzsYq-ugHY1XYK-x7A feel free to watch and join us x