Wait, Manti Te’o dead girlfriend story was a hoax?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    @sethmeyers21: These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    @sethmeyers21: These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.
    Ha! Nailed it.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Just saw it on Espn.... pathetic.
  • Laces_0ut
    i will do a complete 180 on this if it turns out he is gay and this was some kind of mixed up way to keep it away from his family and the Mormon church. and that it just got out of control.

i would have a lot of sympathy for him then.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Lance Armstrong is really happy right now that this story has been uncovered!!

^this

In fact, they should look into the high likelihood that he or his organization is behind this story breaking right now.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    i will do a complete 180 on this if it turns out he is gay and this was some kind of mixed up way to keep it away from his family and the Mormon church. and that it just got out of control.

Whew! Almost went a page without bringing up the kid's religion. Great job! That was close!

:huh:
  • Laces_0ut

Whew! Almost went a page without bringing up the kid's religion. Great job! That was close!

why wouldnt i bring it up since its one of the reasons being discussed for him doing this?
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY

why wouldnt i bring it up since its one of the reasons being discussed for him doing this?
    With what sort of legitimate basis? It's ridiculous.
  • Laces_0ut

new to the internet? why so upset?
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,638 Member
    whoa, I am totally stunned .... that I don't have a clue who Manti Te’o is. :laugh:

no, really. I don't have a clue.
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    My understanding is that he was catfished. He fell for a girl he met online, but never actually met her in real life. I'm sure that has happened to many people. It just sucks that it was wide open for EVERYONE to see. :o(
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY

new to the internet? why so upset?
    Yes. First day, and I'm flinging my keyboard over and over. Rage all over the place, dude.

It just kills me that his religion is being brought up when, as far as anyone can tell, it has nothing to do with it.
  • Laces_0ut
    My understanding is that he was catfished. He fell for a girl he met online, but never actually met her in real life. I'm sure that has happened to many people. It just sucks that it was wide open for EVERYONE to see. :o(

but in interviews he claimed to have met her...
  • Laces_0ut

Yes. First day, and I'm flinging my keyboard over and over. Rage all over the place, dude.

It just kills me that his religion is being brought up when, as far as anyone can tell, it has nothing to do with it.

but thats what happens in sensational cases...people speculate...and from what im hearing there is something to that rumor...
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    Manti Te'o's statement, for what it's worth:
    This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft.
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member

He put out a statement saying it was all online.
  • Laces_0ut

He put out a statement saying it was all online.

so he lied in the interviews when he said he met her? and i thnk there are reports of his dad saying she went to hawaii to visit...so the dad is lying too?

if i was an NFL team i would not want a guy like that on my team. maybe give him a try as an undrafted free agent but thats it.
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Manti Te'o's statement, for what it's worth:
    This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft.

Wow.
    That's really got to suck... lots of people end up going through this, but no one has to deal with the masses knowing about it. :/
  • Laces_0ut
    i think what we are seeing now is him trying to claim the "i was pranked" option...but he doesnt realize that this will be researched and it will be found out that he knew about this a lot sooner or from the beginning and was behind it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

Except he claims they met after a football game & exchanged numbers. His dad has said she met up with him in Hawaii. It just doesn't add up.
    Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.

2010-2011: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."