You Shouldn't Report Every Post That Offends You.

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
One never has to travel far on these forums or anywhere else on the internet to find a thread teaming with vitriol. Likewise it is easy to find a thread that is created for no other purpose than to tell everyone to nice to each other. The irony of course being that the latter threads often become much like the former as people begin to defend their rights to say what they will in an open forum.

This site is in part designed to help people find support systems. They can talk to likeminded people who want to improve their overall health because we are social animals. It is easier to make the journey with a group than it is to go it alone, and let’s face it a lot of us are surrounded by people in their real lives that will do more damage to our motivation rather than help us.

In light of all this are we to communicate in such a manner as to not offend the lowest common denominator among us? It takes all kinds to fill the world and what would be taken as a joke in my house could be a horribly offensive thing to say in another house hold. If we were to go out of our way to communicate on here in a manner beholding to the most easily offended the forums would have to either be completely silent or completely bland.

I don’t know why people feel a sense of entitlement to an environment completely free of all conflict or disagreement. Simply because someone posts something that is offensive to you does not mean you deserve to have some sort of administrative justice exacted upon that individual. The world is full of people and on the internet they are going to post things. Some of those things are going to tick you off but you have the right to post your response and an open dialogue can be born from that. We can learn about new perspectives from each other and minds can be changed. It won’t happen every time but if your solution for every post that offends you is to report it then it will never happen.

I do hope that I did not offend anyone with this post but if you do happen to agree or disagree with me I am interested in your thoughts. I will be a bit bold by asking that your arguments be supportable by logic and as an added bonus I would appreciate it if your points could address my actual argument rather than simply attacking me personally. If you choose to ignore my requests that is your right and you will not be getting reported by me for something as trivial as refusing to make sense.

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! All of this.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    While I agree, this isn't going to end well, and is likely only going to add fuel to the fire.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i totally disagree :mad:

j/k.

i'm +1ing this :happy:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I probably agree with you but... no way I'm reading all of that.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't read it, but everyone seems to agree. I tend to follow the pack, so I probably agree as well.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i'm tempted to make a Bowfinger joke about how many times the letter K appears in the OP, but can't be bothered to count them...

i shall now report myself for:

- laziness
    - abandoning a joke
    - something else i'll think of later
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i only try to report the people who get offended easily and are always complaining about people that are "mean".
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Where is the tl;dr version?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

rep+1
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    They should have a "Don't listen to the idiot that reports everyone because they were not held enough as a child" option.

By the way, I concur!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    How dare you make sense! *gasp*
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    i only try to report the people who get offended easily and are always complaining about people that are "mean".

^^^ Well there you go. Something we do agree on! Well said.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Reported
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Where is the tl;dr version?

This.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I agree with you, and would go one step further. Just because someone is offended, and reports a post, the mods should not issue the blanket strikes, warnings, and bans that they do for some of the things that are being reported. There needs to be come sort of common sense applied...and the posts should be taken in context. Sometimes, the decisions that are made are correct, and fully deserved...but more often than not, they are poorly thought out and poorly administered, and as a result, more chaos ensues.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

+1
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Reported!
This discussion has been closed.