You Shouldn't Report Every Post That Offends You.

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Whether or not other people report posts isn't a user call...it isn't *our* call...that's a message that needs to be communicated from the site PTB. From the various discussions I've had about this, I believe they actually *want* people to report posts. (Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that *I* want people to report every post that irks them...and I'm also not saying that *I* report every posts that irks me.)

What *I* want is some discernment on the other end of the process. Not every post that's reported should be strikeworthy. Or if it is, then the Community Guidelines (all hail) should be reconsidered. Or perhaps an application of context, or a consideration of the participants. Fine, maybe not for every single post, but if "user-since-Jan-2013: 27 posts" reports a post made by "user-since-Oct-2010: 1847 posts", perhaps they could take a step back and use some discretion.

Meh. I'm all out of damns to give.

^^This exactly. And the OP too. Those of us that have been here a while develop thick skin. Stick it out and you will too. It really sucks when johnny come lately whines and gets a good person who just might be a tad snarky their third strike.
  • I have found MFP forums to be witty, frank and informative. It's the fun and sarcastic humor that has drawn me in, allowing me to laugh at myself and the situation I have gotten myself into. I have learned tho; Haters are just gonna hate!

:flowerforyou:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    And one shouldn't penalize every reported post.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    I probably agree with you but... no way I'm reading all of that.

THIS
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    I think as soon as particular names are mentioned they automatically get a strike, ban, or warning. I think it's pretty unfair. Most of the time it's really funny. Also the people getting banned are some of the people that have the best advice. It really is a shame.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Whether or not other people report posts isn't a user call...it isn't *our* call...that's a message that needs to be communicated from the site PTB. From the various discussions I've had about this, I believe they actually *want* people to report posts. (Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that *I* want people to report every post that irks them...and I'm also not saying that *I* report every posts that irks me.)

What *I* want is some discernment on the other end of the process. Not every post that's reported should be strikeworthy. Or if it is, then the Community Guidelines (all hail) should be reconsidered. Or perhaps an application of context, or a consideration of the participants. Fine, maybe not for every single post, but if "user-since-Jan-2013: 27 posts" reports a post made by "user-since-Oct-2010: 1847 posts", perhaps they could take a step back and use some discretion.

I love you and want to have your fitness babies. I totally agree that the problem come from the way the moderation is done
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    i'm tempted to make a Bowfinger joke about how many times the letter K appears in the OP, but can't be bothered to count them...

i shall now report myself for:

- laziness
    - abandoning a joke
    - something else i'll think of later

I didn't see an abundance of K's in the OP so I'm prolly gonna tattle on you for saying that. Besides, I love the letter K! I'll let you know if I decide to report this. Meanwhile, feel free to retaliate.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member

Amen brother,
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I've never reported anyone, even though I have been attacked in bizarre, illogical ways.

However, the thing that I can't understand about online forums is that a large number of people find it acceptable to act in a way that they would not act face to face. For some reason, the anonymity of talking through a computer creates a "free for all" attitude. I don't really understand that, but it's their problem, not mine.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    I only report people who are sexier than me.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member

^^This /thread
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    ****APPLAUSE*****
    :smooched:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Reported.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Maybe there should be another area in the forum menu for easily offended people to go and not feel threatened or have no sense of humor. Maybe they can call it the Rated G chit chat forums.
    Like the kiddie end of the pool...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member

PREACH!
  • melnia89
    melnia89 Posts: 34 Member

hahahha this.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member

Where is the tl;dr version?

+1
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Maybe there should be another area in the forum menu for easily offended people to go and not feel threatened or have no sense of humor. Maybe they can call it the Rated G chit chat forums.
    [/quote

Only the rating should be "EB" for Extremely Blah!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member

There is a kiddie end of the pool. .. . go to "Groups" and start your own My Little Pony group where only joy and agreement are allowed. Ta da.
This discussion has been closed.