Goal weight? Starting to doubt

Options
I started this site at 220lbs. I am 5'5". I put my goal weight at 135lbs. (whic falls somewhere in the middle of the healthy/normal range on the BMI scale). I am currently 161 lbs. and a size 12.

So, at almost 60lbs lost, I am starting to get comments about my weight now and "don't get too skinny". If someone asks my goal weight and I do tell them, they are saying I shouldn't go that low because I am going to be too skinny. I know this is not true. But I am definitely getting a lot of comments.

It is frustrating.

So, I am curious...what is your goal weight (if you are trying to lose) and how did you come up with that number?

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    About the comments, a simple "don't worry, I won't" should be enough.

I have a goal of about 145 because I remember that I felt sensational at that weight in the past. Plus it's right about in the middle of my healthy range. I'd really like to be about 135, truth be told, but that feels like an impossible dream right now.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is around 145. That made my goal roughly 70 pounds from where I started. I picked it because it's approximately what I weighed 9-10 years ago and I felt good and think I looked good at that weight. I'll reevaluate my goal as I get closer to it though.
  • FatSunshine
    FatSunshine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and my starting weight is the same as yours now - and my goal weight isn't massively dissimilar either (maybe 5lbs less). I set my goal weight the same as you - in the middle of the good BMI range. I have been told by my doc at 162lbs and a UK size 12 I need to lose weight - I am overweight as far as BMI goes and I know I feel fat.

I think everyone is different - and maybe i'm wrong - but I think that when your family and friends say "wow you've lost a lot of weight" it's because it's so obvious to them how well you are doing. They can't see that you might have a little way to go still because all they can see is that you've lost tons of weight.

My family tell me I need to lose weight as I am now. But I reckon when I get down to 135lbs they'll tell me to stop too because hopefully I will look and feel a ton better.
  • jaclynwhelan
    Options
    Hi there - I started my weight loss journey at 255 lbs. I am currently 241 pounds and 5'7. So BMI says I should be 159 lbs at most. I know my body MUCH better than a crude assessment tool, so I set my goal weight at 185 lbs. To a lot of people that will seem incredibly high, but I know I will look and feel my best at that weight, and it is a reasonable, realistic goal. I've been over 200 lbs since I graduated high school, and I remember what 200 lbs looked like - I was not fat. I think when making goals, you have to take so much more into consideration than BMI, or any other single factor for that matter. I know it sounds cliche but when you feel it, you will know it's the right weight.

On another note, congratulations on your weight loss to date - and do whatever makes you feel the healthiest - don't worry about what other people say (or what BMI says).
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I get the 'don't get too skinny' all the time. People aren't used to seeing a 'fit and smaller' you. If you are in the healthy range, ignore them! Just smile, say I won't and move on.
  • SuperstarVal
    SuperstarVal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    My goal weight is 130 lbs. At one time, I weighed 180. I have been hovering around 145 for the last few years and feel good. Although, I feel great at around or 140 or just below 140. I know this doesn't really sound like much but it makes a huge difference to me. It also means my clothes fit better and I loose my love handles and baby tummy. But my goal is 130. I am also bothered by well-meaning people who feel the need to express their opinion about my weight. I rarely say anything to them however because I have long ago realized that I can not change them into a supporter of my efforts. Their interests, while kind, are really superficial. My advice is to politely nod and thank them but realize that this is your journey, your life and it is really up to you to decide what your goal is. Your goal sounds like a healthy one to me. I say stick with it! Go for it! And feel good about it! You may need to start confiding or looking to people who understand your goals and have similar interests... as for the others, I say don't let them get to you. Good luck on your journey and i hope you keep posting your progress!!
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 or more like 5'5 and 1/2. LOL My goal is the same as yours, 135lbs/ I've also had people tell me the same, I get the "But your going to look sick" etc etc. Before the birth of my children I was 135-140lbs. I was very healthy, and LOVED my body. That is why I've chosen that number. I'm currently at 174, from 210lbs.

Besides the actual scale number, I've also told myself that if I'm able to fit into a size 5-7 jeans comfortably without flab, then the number on the scale will not matter to me anymore. So I guess whichever comes firts. LOL
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    Its the same for me - my family is now at a point where it is a rutine to say "you cant not loose anymore now" - almost like a threat. But my ideal weight is still 8 kg away - which seems harder and harder to reach when the people closes to me tell me I shouldnt...
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the odd-man out on this response...
    Several years back I started a weight loss journey and in my mind I was like, "I want to be 140". The nutritionist, based on my height and "frame" told me 140 would be way too small for me. He told me no smaller than 160. Fast forward...when i initially started MFP I said, "my goal weight is 160" but since that time I've talked to a few ppl and they are telling me, "definitely no smaller than 180" (they are basing this on my "frame"). I am extremely solid for my current weight (not solid in my opinion but for my current weight yes).

Long story short, I am going to play it by ear. Right now I've adjusted my gw to 175. Once I'm closer to that weight I will determine weither I need to go smaller or not. As far as a healthy BMI, and I know I may get some "push back on this", but I don't put a lot of focus on that. I'm going for "how I feel". A healthy BMI recommends a weight of abt 135lbs for me which I'm certain I would "look" really skinny. I don't want that. By the way I'm 5'4

Play it by ear is what I suggest
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I started at 155 and am currently at 140 (5'5'' btw) My original goal was 130-135 until I got to where I am now. A lot girls here would say that's still high but I'm pretty comfortable with it. I get TONS of "too skinny/barely there" comments, and I'm sure my family will have a heart attack if I lose any more weight. Ultimately I don't care what others think because they are only used to the heavier me and its a shock to their eyes to see anything different. I decided to stop at 140 because I realized its not the weight I want to lose but the fat, plus I like the fuller figure model look.

Do what makes you happy.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi. I agree that it's what's best for you. My first goal is to get out of the morbidly obese range. I'm 1.5 kg away, then it'll be 10% of my origional weight off, then the top of the ideal weight range then I'll see how I feel. I know at lot of people that have kept going, had the too skinny comments and enjoyed them in some cases, but just found maintainence at the low weight too hard and crept up again to the middle of the healthy range. I believe in listening to your body and I think you know when you hit the weight that's right.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I got them too. But now that I'm at my goal weight no one says anything. Do what YOU want. Ignore the comments. 160 and 5'5 isn't too skinny. I'm 147 and 5'11 if that helps in paint a picture! And I'm no where near too skinny!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 157. My goal weight was originally 120, but I got down to 132 (I'm now at 137 thanks to falling off the wagon--I'm back on, though!). Around 132 I felt about right, like maybe 125 or 130 should have been my real goal. Just got by how YOU feel. Everyone has a different healthy weight, even if they're the same height and age. You'll know where you start to feel good, so don't worry about people saying you'll get too skinny. They're just not used to how you look.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 131 pounds. When I started off with MFP I was 170 and thought I wanted a goal of 150. When I got to 150 I knew I could lose more, so I reset to 145, then 135. I finally decided to stop focusing on a weight and work on a body fat percentage instead. I'm pretty much where I want to be now.

Ultimately, I think you shouldn't focus on the numbers at all. Just work on being healthy and happy. As long as you don't have major body image issues, you'll know when you get to where you want to be.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I started this site at 220lbs. I am 5'5". I put my goal weight at 135lbs. (whic falls somewhere in the middle of the healthy/normal range on the BMI scale). I am currently 161 lbs. and a size 12.

So, at almost 60lbs lost, I am starting to get comments about my weight now and "don't get too skinny". If someone asks my goal weight and I do tell them, they are saying I shouldn't go that low because I am going to be too skinny. I know this is not true. But I am definitely getting a lot of comments.

It is frustrating.

So, I am curious...what is your goal weight (if you are trying to lose) and how did you come up with that number?

I'm 5'2" tall on a good day...I started here at 228lbs.

Because MFP asks for a goal weight, I put in 145lbs...which is technically 10lbs into overweight according to BMI. I honestly do not know if getting there is possible for me. I DO think that I can hit a size 8 though...

I think what I would do is tell the nosy nellies that you don't really have a goal weight in mind. You have a non scale goal--such as a clothing size or a BF% you are aiming for, and that you re-evaluate those goal regularly.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    pre children I was 119lbs (which is at the lowest end of the scale for my height and frame size) I am 5ft 6 .. it didnt seem to matter what I done I couldn't gain weight, I did look stick thin at this weight.

I started aiming for the upper end of my ideal weight .. 11st (154lbs) ... I got very close to that weight and realised I still had a bit to go .. so now I am aiming for 10 st (140lbs) basically somewhere in the middle

however in saying the above the weight is not really my aim I am more aiming for my inches to be right .. not sure where they will be right for me ... but im sure i will know when I get there :)
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started at 177 and my original goal was single digit pants sizes. Now that I'm there I'm shooting for 135 - 140, which is still another 15 pounds. I got told the other day that if I lose any more weight I will have to jump around in the shower to get wet. I just laughed and said thankfully I have a small shower.
  • Mailboxhead1
    Options
    Though it's a crude measure, I used some online calculators to guess at my then current body fat percentage, and multiplied that by my weight to arrive at a lean body mass total. Then I used the body fat percentage I want to get to (8-10%) to back into what I would consider my ideal weight.
    For example, I was 200 when I started, and my body fat at that weight was somewhere around 20%- so my lean body mass was around 160 =(200*(1-.2)). So 10% body fat on top of that would be roughly 178 =(160/.9)
    So my goal weight is in the 175-180 range assuming I don't put on or lose muscle in the process. I was at 191 this morning, and it looks like there's enough fat for me to get down a good bit further.
    As a side note, if you want to use a similar approach, women naturally are going to have higher body fat percentages, so don't try to get too much below the 20% range.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments...

I agree, I am not stuck on a number and I also agree with the comments that people aren't used to what I look like now. I definitely have an athletic build. I am more stocky than anything. So, I know I have quite a bit to lose.

I started this to get my blood pressure down. It is not working like I had hoped. The bp is still considered high especially since I am on 2 different meds for it. I do feel better.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2" and at last weigh in 145lbs, which is 2lb less than when I started. I don't get the "don't lose too much weight" I get e "you don't need to lose weight, you're crazy" which I find really annoying. Yes I look good with clothes on, but when I'm naked my stomach sticks out, my thighs are big and my clothes are tight. I'm just not happy with my weight and figure at the moment, so I'm going to change it.
    It's so frustrating when people don't see past their image of you.
    My goal weight is 119lbs, and it is that because 1) it's a recommended weight for my height and 2) I used to be that weight and I felt amazing when I did.

I would do what makes you happy and what feels right for you. I might get to 125lbs and realise that I'm happy with that figure, or I might want to keep pushing to 119lbs - ill see what happens, all I know is that I do not want to be in the 140/130s anymore.