Help Please 1200 calories and still hungry

Options
13»

Replies

• damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is different to my experience, im on 1440 cal (MFP gave me that number when I punched in 2 pounds a week based on my weight and height. ) im pretty happy at this level, at times I eat more than when I was trying to become fitter/lose weight. Since the start of december I have lost 31 pounds, and I rarely feel hungry at all.

but I do tend to eat a lot of kangaroo meat which is a magical mystery meat. ( per 100g of meat its about 90 cal, 22g protein, 1.8g of fat.) (1kg/2 pounds of kangaroo mince, 1 tin of corn, 1 tin of beans, beef stock, salsa, 1 tin of capsicum split across 3 serves with a 'lite' small pita bread (because I need _some_ carbs) each comes in around 400 cal for approximately 1 pound of food.)

and on top of that I use recipes that I find online, calculate their numbers and then swap things around until I get to around 400 to 500 cal a serve.

Then breakfasts and lunches tend to be pre-packaged food (usually protein or nut bars. )
  • melissaharned39
    melissaharned39 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MFP also set me at 1200 after I had already lost 25lbs. I wasn't hungry, but I wasn't losing any weight, even with going to the gym 3x a week. So I recently upped my calories manually to about 1500. I've already lost 2lbs this WEEK after the change. I haven't been eating back my exercise calories though. Good luck! :)
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I set up my account probably two weeks ago, I got sick in the mean time, but I am ready to get started now that I am done with medicine.

The issue is that I am allowed 1200 calories a day and I am still starving. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Let me guess, you're trying to lose 2lbs a week, but are under 200lbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

@ ninerbuff-If I am under 200lbs, what should I be shooting for if not 2 per week,. I have mine set up that way....should I be at 1 or 1.5??

I might be completely wrong, but I've always heard that you should shoot for no more than 1% of your body weight per week. (200 lbs > 2 lbs/week. 150 lbs > 1.5 lbs/week etc) I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable can give you much better, more accurate, more thorough advice.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    In agreement with everyone else. 1200 calories is too low. I'd aim for 1400-1500 and eat back most of your exercise calories. :flowerforyou:
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    1 cup of raw broccoli and 1 cup of raw cauliflower is only 55 calories. It is nutrition dense. Most veggies and fruit are low in calories but good on nutrition. You can eat you fill of veggies and fruit and add some lean meats and some whole grains. You WILL be full and your body will be thanking you for the good nutrients it is craving.
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I weighed 185 lbs. I also set my settings for a 2lb a week weight loss and was given 1200 calories a day. 1. It can take a week or two to adjust to your lower calorie limit. 2. Are you drinking diet soda? If so, please cut that out of your diet completely. Try and stick with water or if you need a flavor boost, Propel Zero. Once I cut out the diet soda, many of my cravings stopped. 3. As you start to exercise more, you'll earn exercise calories. Everyone is different and there is no magic formula that fits everyone. With a little trial and error, you will find what works for you. I know having a good filling breakfast works wonders! Also the feeling of hunger might actually be dehydration. Or try upping your calories 100 calories and see if that is better and you are still losing weight. Good luck! Don't get frustrated.
  • edmistonlee
    Options
    I agree that increasing you calorie allowance will help, mine is about 1,500 and I am almost always under when i include excercise. Try to focus on the foods you are choosing rather than the calories. A 100 calorie piece or fruit or glass of skim milk is going to be more filling that a 100 calorie snack pack (and of course more nutritious).

Some of my "go to" snacks are :

-100 calorie guacomole pack with red & yellow bell pepper strips and or carrots (this is very filling and tasty-some good protein and healthy fat here too)
    -chunk light tuna packet w/ tsp light mayo and lots of fresh lemon juice and pepper with a few bagel chips (i just portion out ahead of time rather than eating straight out of the bag)
    -hard boiled eggs
    - sauted veggies (bell peppers, mushrooms, red onions, squash) in tsp lt butter or olive oil and topped w/ 2 TBSP fat free feta cheese (this is one of my favorite things and i have it at least 3 times a week, i keep veggies portioned out in containers in fridge so i can grab one and have it ready in 5 minutes, the feta makes it taste like a treat)

Hopes this helps a little :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I eat Broccoli and other fibrous veg to fill me, they are super low calorie but take time to digest and fill you up. Also, there is a product called Skinny B, its Chia, Hemp and Buckwheat, it expands and keep you feeling regular.

^^That's what I'm talking about. Someone else who understands the importance of chia seeds. All this talk about fats and proteins is too complicated.....