for those of you with tattoos....

Replies

• Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Only one on my wrist,not because I don't like the design as such,but the tattooist messed it up rather badly so I might have it covered up(not by the same guy)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    The solution to a name of a person is a symbol that represents that person. At least then, others won't know. You will, but that doesn't matter too much, and you won't have to get it removed or covered.
  • I have one that I plan on getting covered up because the artists line work is sloppy, and its only a one word tat, it been less then a year and its already fading and looking blurry. Luckily its small and will be easy to cover!
    When I reach my goal weight I also plan on rewarding myself with a phoenix tattoo on my side. :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Nope.

I only have two. One kinda breaks the name rule, althought it's not a name. We got our wedding bands done the day after we got hitched (<<<<<). I actually don't know anyone with a wedding band tattoo that is still married to the person he/she got them with, but I don't see us ever splitting. Death before divorce.

My other one is silly. It's an apple in my armpit, and I don't regret it either.

My work is quite conservative and I think a hand tattoo would be highly frowned upon except that it's a wedding band, so they're okay with it.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    I got a cover up done last year. I got the original tattoo when I was like 15! It was Thumper the bunny rabbit from Bambi on my arm lol. Although I didn't hate it, it was just a bit silly looking and meaningless.

I got it covered up with a pentacle tattoo.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,861 Member
    nope, mine all mean something to me
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Oh, and along with the person's name, a band name/symbol is also a really bad idea. It pretty much guarantees that the band will break up or start to suck.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    No. Sometimes I regret the placement of one (back of neck), but not the art itself. I got it done when I had long(er) hair and didn't need to worry about hiding it. Since then, I've gotten a pixie. Now I have to grow out my AWESOME pixie because it looks like I'll be graduating soon and want the option of hiding it for interviews. Hopefully I'll get a kick-@$$ job that doesn't care about tats and I can cut my hair short again.

I have been searching for a job recently and I learned that although they still don't like piercings tattoos are more accepted now. I interviewed in a skirt that didn't cover the one on my calf and the one on my arm reaches a little to my hand. They had no problem with it. (Got the job BTW!)

Good to hear! I'm also really dreading having to take out my nose ring. And dye my hair a "natural" color. :cry:

Bummer:grumble: I wanted to get my lip pierced but they put a stop to that one. Should have done it a while ago so it could heal.

Might always be worth checking the places you want to work. See if they have company policies on things. I maybe don't fit in to the "regular" steriotype of a Financial Analyst but the company I work for have no problem with me looking different.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Yes. All of my tattoos were meaningful to me, but the first couple I didn't pick my artist very carefully. One I had covered by my back piece. I would have been OK keeping it too, but it was in the middle of prime "able to hide at work and will age well" real estate LOL.

I have one more on my thigh that I would like to cover up. I probably will do that this summer sometime with a leg piece dedicated to my baby boy. The back piece was for my older kids. Again, this one was meaningful, and isn't terrible artwork, but I'd prefer to have something different now.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    I think my first one was kind of silly but I don't mind it and don't regret it, its just some stars on my back that I got when I was young. I LOVE my second one on my foot though!! I'm going to be a teacher so it's important that I put them in inconspicuous places
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    ..nope. first ink was done when I was 30....they all mean something special...even my ugliest one...which was my first date with my hubby..
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    All mine are tropical and have special meaning to me. I will never regret having them. :)
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Nope, I love them both. They are both very tastefully done, easily covered, in a good spot aging-wise and hold a special meaning to me. I plan on getting another once I have kids--I want each of their birth dates in roman numerals on my left side, right under the band of my bra. Each new kid will bring a new line under the previous one. I only plan on one or two kids, so only one of two lines =) I had this idea first for my brother and his daughter's birth dates (I'm very close to him and of course I love my niece!), and wanted to add on my kids' dates once I had them, but I felt that it would be too much. I still want some sort of tattoo for my brother at least. Possibly the Mets symbol (very small), because he has that already and I could surprise him with it. That, or maybe we can go for one together.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Nope, love mine and cherish them everyday!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Nope, love mine, can't wait to get more.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Just don't get a persons name on you. That's all. It's covered up now. Lol.

...Unless it's your child's name. :smile:

As far as regrets? No, not really. I kinda wish I got one done by a better artist, as it looks a little "muddy," now. But no.

I have my dogs name tattoo'd to me because she's made such a HUGE impact on my life... she's like my child :) I have the pic on my profile :)
  • Yes a horrendus one on my back, its a naked cherub with my name. So regret it...lesson learned. there is a reason why you arent allowed tattoos when ur 16!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Just don't get a persons name on you. That's all. It's covered up now. Lol.

...Unless it's your child's name. :smile:

As far as regrets? No, not really. I kinda wish I got one done by a better artist, as it looks a little "muddy," now. But no.

I have my dogs name tattoo'd to me because she's made such a HUGE impact on my life... she's like my child :) I have the pic on my profile :)

A friend of mine got her two dogs' portraits on either arm, and they turned out really well. I will probably get my furry daughter's pic done on me somewhere. I just haven't decided where yet.
  • omma_to_3
    Yes a horrendus one on my back, its a naked cherub with my name. So regret it...lesson learned. there is a reason why you arent allowed tattoos when ur 16!

Have you considered getting a cover-up done? I guarantee they could do something beautiful if you go to a good artist.
  • omma_to_3
    For anyone interested in what my cover-up looks like, I added a picture on my profile. My tattoo is for my two older children. Their Korean names and the meanings (sky and beautiful magnolia). It was covering a rose and Japanese kanji