What keeps you feeling full longer?

Options
Hi! I'm posting this because I want to find out what everyone's go-to foods are (or teas, supplements, etc) for feeling fuller longer? I've been having trouble with this lately as I work out more, and I don't want to go crazy on the calories either, since I'm doing mostly cardio exercise, with some light strength/weights. Reason being, I actually cut back on some muscle, my arms are huge from being a cheerleader for so long ,and I want to slim my arms down, there's just so much muscle in my upper arms! I know you can't spot reduce, but ya know...

So, I'm not new to nutrition. I know fiber keeps you fuller longer, eating clean is good, processed food is bad, etc. I'll eat breakfast around 7 am, and by 9:30 I'm starving again! I'll eat a snack at 4 pm, and by 6 pm I'm starving again, which stinks because I like to work out before dinner. I try drinking tea, keeping very hydrated, etc. I've researched this, and I think I may be a fast oxidizer... but I can't imagine eating more meats and cheeses, I'm trying to cut back on meat as it is.

Soo, who has some tips? :-) Feel free to take a peek at my journal, I've been logging pretty steadily the past couple weeks.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Meat and vegetables
    there's just so much muscle in my upper arms!

Please post pics of jacked arms
    I I've researched this, and I think I may be a fast oxidizer.

What does that mean?
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fast oxidizer:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/219639-diets-for-fast-oxidizers/

Although I wouldn't consider myself lean, I'm 5'7" and 170, but my build is proportionate all over. My bicep is about 13.5" around, unflexed.. I don't have any pics... sorry! To be honest, it's not that big a deal, I just want to lose weight in a healthy way, that's my main goal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know why you would cut back on cheese, but why meat? Fiber may help you feel full, but protein is slower in digestion and will keep you fuller longer than fiber, especially if you're getting that fiber with carbs. 8 oz of chicken isn't a lot of calories, but it's the start to a big meal that will fill you up and a great source of protein.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Meat. Eggs when I can't afford meat.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Protein protein protein.

And water
  • RJAgeo
    RJAgeo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Green tea and almonds seem to work for me during the morning-afternoon. Post-dinner hunger usually eliminated with two Hershey kisses. If that doesn't work, I'll eat a few jalepeno pepper rings; can't feel my tongue after that! Add notes to your daily log and document how long after a meal/snack you're hungry again. Good luck.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    OK, I read your dairy, well this past weekend and this week.
    I'm seeing a lot of yogurt. Have you tried really good greek yogurt. does that make a difference?

i vote for raisin bran to keep me full longer, but it's too many carbs for most people.

For breakfast you could make some breakfast burritos for the whole week, eggs, veggies,
    I like eggs with salsa verde (tomotilla salsa) for extra flavor

you could also make scrambled eggs baked in a muffin tin, or a fritatta version of that with veggies.
    for less carbs.

where's the beans? legumes? nothing keeps me full longer than lentil soup.
    no ham bones here, I make it with chicken or veg. broth, and lots of veggies.
    curry flavored versions are absolutely amazing, and help with the gray color.
    adding greens and carrots helps with color too.
    here's a simple version:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

Also, if you love mac and cheese, I can relate, have you tried tofu mac and cheese?
    passed the kid test at my house :)
    they loved it, and we all felt full sooner than reg. version.
    tons of recipes online and prob. on mfp too.
    depending on the texture you want you can blend it with a food processor or blender to make it smooth
    or just mash it with a fork, that's how I prefer it.
    you can also make tofu cottage cheese. loaded with protein too.

http://www.macheesmo.com/2012/04/tofu-mac-and-cheese/
    I agree easier to make than traditional mac and cheese,
    and I didn't need as much cheese, which is saying a lot,
    because i never think there's too much cheese.

I've been looking for a good recipe link to give you, but it just depends
    what kind of flavors you like. the process is really simple.
    just use whatever tofu you have, firm, soft, it works either way.
    chop it up, and add what you like for flavor.
    some recipes also use cashews, but I haven't tried that version.

more breakfasts:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/category/breakfasts

more veggie and legume recipes than you can shake a stick at
    and I hear the apple cider caramels are popular too
    http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options

where's the beans? legumes?

I really try to like beans, but I'm not a huge fan. I make a turkey chili with canelinni beans at times, but I can't do the black beans. :-( I do eat greek yogurt pretty often, but only the 0% kind. Maybe I should opt for the 2% instead? I'm not attached to it though, it just depends on what I happen to pick up at the store.

I can certainly give the tofu mac and cheese a try! I'm not super attached to mac & cheese, but I just happened to have it in the house, it was a weak moment :-)
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I squeeze lemon juice in the water that i drink all day :) it not only helps with bloating but helps me make sure i drink my water!

Green tea with mint helps curb the cravings and is great for metabolism.

As for filling foods and snacks- i sneak a cup of broccoli or cauliflower in all of my salads to not only get veggies in my diet but more fiber and therefore it keeps me fuller. A handful of almonds helps in a pinch. A tablespoon of almond butter for a snack is great. hummus with cucumbers or bell peppers. a protein shake (low carb/low sugar) with some cups of frozen fruit and almond milk keeps me really full as well.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    oh also- nonfat greek yogurt keeps me wayyy more full than regular yogurt- add some frozen fruit, honey...etc!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    what kind of ethnic flavors do you like?
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    the only breakfast that keeps me full for a long time always incorporates oatmeal.
  • kboigirl
    Options
    Vegetables: Fill you up for few calories (1 cup raw veggies has 25 calories, when the same amount of grain has around 250 for example)

Protein: helps to maintain satiety longer. Choose lean protein sources because fat packs more calories into a smaller space and will be counterproductive.

Plan your meals and snacks for regular intervals so your body will get used to the blood sugar dynamics.

Don't overtrain....DON'T OVERTRAIN. If you are super hungry after your workout and denying your body the nutrition it needs, it willl NOT help with sustainable weight loss.

Carbs are your friends when exercising because they are the body's preferred source of fuel. Do not eliminate food groups or categorize foods as "good" or "bad." More of your carbs should come from whole food sources like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, rather than processed, refined foods, and added sugars. If you are not eating carbs, you will feel hungry no matter how much protein you eat because your body WANTS that quick and efficient energy.

I am a Registered Dietitian with a Master's degree in nutrition AND I teach nutrition at the university level.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Porridge (or oatmeal for you Americans :smile:) is the only breakfast that seems to really fill me up.

For lunch, I normally eat a salad with 2 chicken breasts or a salmon fillet and a hardboiled egg. That seriously keeps me full for a few hours, and I'm a big eater. The key is lots of protein.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Protein and whole seeds keep me satisfied for hours.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i love chick peas/garbanzo beans added to aalad for more protein.

Have you tried hummus? It doesn't taste like eating beans.
    the basic flavor is made with roasted garlic and lemon,
    but there are many flavor combos.
    you could also make it with white beans instead of chick peas.

I vote for the roasted red peppers flavor, heaven!
    great on sandwhiches or wraps too not just dip.

here's one with eggplant and white beans:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-and-roasted-eggplant-hummus-recipe/index.html
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, and more protein. I find fiber fills me up quickly but doesn't keep me feeling satisfied for very long. I start my morning with eggs (usually two whole eggs and two egg whites) at about 7am - then at 10:30 or so I have about 30 almonds. I then have lunch which is usually a salad with some sort of protein, usually chicken or hard boiled eggs. I make the salad big enough that it ends up taking me most of the afternoon to eat (I always work through my lunch). And then I have dinner around 6pm - and you guessed it, more protein and veggies. I also drink water with lemon in it all day. Whenever I'm hungry I chug some water.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I actually eat something about every 3 hours. 7:30 breakfast, 10-10:30 snack, 11:30-noon lunch, 3:00 snack, 5:30-6:00 dinner, 9:00 snack.

My snacks are usually something like a Chocolite Protein bar (healthsmartfoods.com - 95 calories, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein), or a couple of light string cheese sticks, maybe even yogurt, or crackers or pretzels with peanut butter.

Protein sticks with you longer - takes longer to digest, whereas carbs just burn right off.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Everyone is emphasizing protein, but even when she has a salad with salmon she gets hungry quickly.
    So she may have the same problem as I do, and often I am hungry after a high protein meal like eggs.
    I do have success with salmon or sardines though. so it may just be a matter of experimenting.