What keeps you feeling full longer?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What are your macro ratios? I had to play with mine a little and actually try to hit my numbers...once I figured out my macro ratio, it was all good and I'm never really hungry. Mine are 40c/30p/30hf. I felt like I was starving on MFP's default settings...then went to 50/25/25...better...then 40/30/30...perfect and I'm usually within a couple % points.

Also, it has helped me to eat smaller, but more often. I pretty much eat something every couple hours.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on where you are in your cycle, your hormones affect (or effect?)
    your hunger levels.
    I know for me, I just want to eat everything in sight. no matter how so called filling or not it is.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't read Livestrong, there is a lot of absolute rubbish on there: nutrition and dietetics are scientific disciplines. Fibre is only one of the nutrients that helps confer satiety, you also need protein, water and to a lesser extent fat. Sugars and high glycaemic index carbs can spike and trough the blood sugar, triggering hunger or cravings. Don't cut down on or eliminate food groups unless you are prepared to increase others to get the same nutrients. If you want to eat less meat be sure to eat more reduced fat dairy, oily fish, other seafood, omega eggs, nuts and seeds. Egg whites and chicken breast are not particularly nutritious anyway.

Looking at your food diary I would suggest eating more non starchy vegetables for the fibre and water without too much sugar, at least seven to nine servings a day in the full rainbow of colours but you can go higher. Each item only counts once no matter how much you have. Be more consistent with protein at every meal and snack, including hitting the recommended three servings a day of unprocessed dairy or a fortified equivalent.

Also you seem to have cut back hard on wholegrains, beans and lentils without increasing your intake of nuts and seeds to supply minerals and fibre, don't underestimate how much of these you need. You might particularly consider ground flax or chia which contain fibre that bulks up much as the stuff in grains does and are quite mineral dense. To get a balance don't just stick to cashews which are naturally high in carbs, low in calcium and fibre, almonds are richer in calcium and fibre. A multivitamin/ mineral is an insurance policy not a substitute for a balanced diet.

Cut your intake of foods with added sugar, added fats or refined carbs down to 10% of daily calories: ice cream, flavoured yoghurt, cereals, chocolate pudding, cookies, white pasta, white rice, agave syrup, crackers. You do have some good foods in amongst - berries, salmon, purple cabbage, spinach, steel cut oats, cheddar for example.
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Everyone is emphasizing protein, but even when she has a salad with salmon she gets hungry quickly.
    So she may have the same problem as I do, and often I am hungry after a high protein meal like eggs.
    I do have success with salmon or sardines though. so it may just be a matter of experimenting.

Yep, I wasn't sure if I had to play around with my macros, because even after dinner last night (chicken breast and mixed vegetables) I was starving in an hour, I get that empty nauseous feeling in my stomach. I had a spoonful of regular vanilla ice cream and was fine. Some foods do it and some don't. I can't figure it out. Salmon has more fat than chicken, so maybe it's the fats that solve it? It's a mystery to me!
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like baby carrots or cucumbers.
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    Try pushing your first meal back as long as you can.... if you dont HAVE to eat at 7am then don't.... have some tea in the morning or coffee to jump your metabolism and then eat at 9:30.... when you eat then have the highest fiber thing you can have (in the morning) this will make you full all day..... fiber plus water=expansion and a full tummy..... Mid morning eat some Fiber ONe cereal.... oatmeal.... greek yogurt with raspberries.... or a high fiber bar/protein bar.... also when you eat vitamins with a full glass of water they fill you up so I would eat them then... maybe add a fiber supplement too....

Then eat again in a couple of hours (noonish).... a high protein lunch (even if you are not hungry).... The combo of these two at these times usually keeps me full until 6 or 7pm.

But coffee with non fat milk is my ultimate hunger suppressor!
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet
    2 cups spinach, one banana and one date with water and blend. Drink the whole thing and you will be good to go. That's 100 calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Everyone is emphasizing protein, but even when she has a salad with salmon she gets hungry quickly.
    So she may have the same problem as I do, and often I am hungry after a high protein meal like eggs.
    I do have success with salmon or sardines though. so it may just be a matter of experimenting.

3oz salmon and salad is not enough calories or fats and possibly not enough overall bulk, plus she tends to add in a sugary dessert. Ditto not enough overall calories or fats in the chicken and vegetables dinner.
  • mg234080
    Options
    What about beans? Black beans boiled with salt, onions, green bell peppers, and garlic. 1 cup has 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I definitely need all this information
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for all the info! Also, I don't ever go by Livestrong.com, it's the first thing that come up in google, haha. If there's anyone I follow for advice, it's Jillian Michaels, etc.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Spinach/Salad mixed with lemon or lime juice and black pepper on it...YUMMY!
  • SoontirFel
    SoontirFel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and bacon....sometimes together.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Calorie for calorie protein is more satiating than carbs or fat. Fat slows gastric emptying therefore keeping you full longer.

Carbs spike your blood sugar which comes back down in 2-3 hours and you are "hungry" again. (refined - about 2 hours; complex - about 3 hours)

N=1 but a bowl of oatmeal (not instant!) and an apple had me shaking like a leaf 90 mintues after eating (Reactive Hypoglycemia). Three hard-boiled eggs with some butter and salt and I will not feel any hunger again for around 5 hours. Add some bacon and it's even longer. The healthiest version of the Standard American Diet was making me diabetic.

Thank you Primal Blueprint and Mark's Daily Apple!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and bacon....sometimes together.

OMG! You mean my man isn't the only one to do this.

How about:

Peanut butter and breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean Hot in the roll package)
    Peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Ritz Crackers
    I prefer my bacon with some chocolate - preferrably around 85% dark.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Meat, Veggies, and Fruits!!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

3oz salmon and salad is not enough calories or fats and possibly not enough overall bulk, plus she tends to add in a sugary dessert. Ditto not enough overall calories or fats in the chicken and vegetables dinner.

This. I eat a chicken salad for lunch, but that involves 2 chicken breasts and a lot of salad. Average of 55g of protein, fills me up tremendously.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet
    2 cups spinach, one banana and one date with water and blend. Drink the whole thing and you will be good to go. That's 100 calories.
    LOVE IT!!!!
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I'm assuming the salad has way more veggie than meat. For some, the salad may be a slider food (it being mostly water, gets chewed up and goes straight through pyloric valve, not spending any time in the stomach to help longer satiety). The meat alone would fill anyone up more. Eggs are not as high in protein, (mabye 7 grams per egg, most of it being in the yolk, so if you eat just the white, that's even less protein).