1200 Calorie diet, SO TIRED ALL THE TIME! HELP!

Options
Almost a week ago, I started doing 1200 calories/day (from an average of about 2200 calories) and exercising daily for 45 minutes to an hour (prior I did absolutely NO exercise). The first two days I felt GREAT! Excited, energized, motivated...you get the point. I have even dropped 7lbs since I started n less than 7 days! However, the last two days I have been SO EXHAUSTED! I just feel like I do not have energy to do anything, and all I want to do is sleep. At work, I feel like I can barely function, and at home, other than taking care of my son, I feel like I have not done much else.

Has anyone else experienced this when starting a reduced calorie diet. I have to admit, I do not feel overly hungry, just fatigued. If this has happened to you, how long does it last before your body adjust, or is there suggestions to help combat the fatigue?

I do plan to start taking some Green-Tea Supplements, in hopes that will give me some energy too, but not sure what else to do! Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Eat more.....
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.

With that level of exercise and low calorie intake, you're not giving your body enough fuel. How well does your car run on no gas?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more.....

this
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you calculating and tracking your calorie intake vs output??? Alot of people make this mistake of eating only 1200cals a day and then going and burning 500-600cals at the gym....leaving you with a net intake of calories of only 600 calories....you're body can't survive off from that!! Granted it'll force you to start to utilize fat reserves, but in the end, it ultimately kills your metabolism because your body goes into starvation mode.

I did a resting calorie metaboic rate test thing at my gym...it said while sitting just in a dark room, not moving that my RMR was 1440 cals a day...and the trainer added lets say another 400 cals for light activity...meaning my body needs 1800cals to function... now add exercise ontop of that. NOW, like you I want to loose fat/weight...and I have a thyroid issue with makes it harder for my body to loose weight....so I'm opting to do 1200 cals a day....HOWEVER....I monitor how much I'm consuming during the day and then I replenish the calories I burn at the gym to ensure that I have between 1200-1300 cals a day... which is still resulting in a negative loss of calories incomparison to the 1800 the trainer said I needed (which is a give or take in my opinion).

Just be sure to monitor that and be sure to be replenishing the lost calories....in all honesty you'll consume more like 1800cals in a day, but if you're working out you'll burn those...on days you dont' work out stay with your calories but use smart and very nutritionally sound foods...ie: fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins, hard boiled eggs....you can consume more of these for less calories!!! and they satisfy longer and should get you better energy reserves.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Give your body what it needs. Listen to it. Hunger pangs, feed it something that will provide nutrients. If you are lethargic, choose an apple or banana or make a smoothie with spinach and Kefir. Drink lots of water. On 1200 calories, choose foods that provide good sustenance....good sustaining power... If you are doing a big work out, and get weak, replenish yourself with some plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Eat more.....

This ^^
    Why deny yourself the finer things in life just because you are losing weight? Workout then eat more. Its like, my favorite motto.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You're on the standard New Years Crash Diet Plan.

You need to figure out your numbers (BMR and TDEE), and figure out what caloric deficit is best for you in the long wrong and go from there.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more to fuel your body.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories a day, but I have a desk job and the nights I work out, I make sure I eat more than 1200, so when I subtract my workout calories, I end up at about 1200.

Like the others are saying, you have to take into account the calories you're burning by working out.

:)
  • jbranam427
    jbranam427 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! I will definitely adjust my calorie intake accordingly to balance out the exercise. I love the anaology of "how well does your car run on no gas." That was like my "DUH" moment!

As this is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this, I obviously have been going at it all wrong. Thanks again!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories??? how much protein are you getting in??what exactly are you eating? are u being followed by a doctor and have regular bloodwork to check for deficiencies? do u take any suppliments?
    many questions can explain things.... know all about 1200 cals ...even at one point walked 14K a day n fet wonderful.... many things u have to watch while on 1200 cal to feel good.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Everyone is telling you to eat more when you said you are not really hungry. Your fatigue could be related to any number of issues. Depending on where you are in your weight loss journey, 1200 cals might be fine.

I don't have enough info or expertise to give you advice, and neither do the people just telling you to eat more...

Keep researching and tweaking your methods.

Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Been there, found this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

1200 isn't enough for most people, and likely well below your BMR.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Everyone is telling you to eat more when you said you are not really hungry. Your fatigue could be related to any number of issues. Depending on where you are in your weight loss journey, 1200 cals might be fine.

I don't have enough info or expertise to give you advice, and neither do the people just telling you to eat more...

Keep researching and tweaking your methods.

Good luck!

:huh:

It's the most likely cause if there wasn't any underlying problems to begin with.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE FOODZ
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-21059-1355944273-8.gif
  • mattyb1971
    Options
    Like most have said, eat more. Eat back your exercise calories. Establish a calorie target which is achievable - slow and steady progress is the way to go.

Also, have a think about the how and when you are getting your calories. Maybe more protein would help, or perhaps smaller, more frequent meals would do the trick. Listen to your body. Good luck!
  • violetpearl76
    Options
    What are your settings as far as pounds you want to lose per week? If they're too high then you have a serious problem. I know some who put in at least 2lbs. per week, but unless you're training many hours a day, every day and eating alot, this is wholly unrealistic and VERY UNSAFE, not good for your heart or brain - trust me!

You need to take baby steps and start with 1 lb. per week. As others have stated before me, EAT MORE! Your body REQUIRES fuel in order to give you the energy to lose weight. Don't look at calories as your enemy - they must be looked at as required buddies! :smile: I have my settings at 1 lb per week, I track and bank all the walking I do every morning on my way to work (I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan so walking is so easy and actually enjoyable!) so that I have more GOOD calories to comsume for more energy to do more walking or other exercises. When I look at what I eat in a day, I notice that I eat all the darn time (lots of lil healthy snacks) but they're what keep me going as they're not empty calories but they're calories nonetheless!

So, food = fuel = energy = desire for movement = calories burned (earned) = food = fuel = energy = desire for movement = calories burned (earned) = food = fuel = energy = .......see a pattern here?

More importantly, be safe but make it fun as well! Go thru the many chat boards here and see what others are doing, including getting creative with cooking with great foods!

Good luck!!! :happy:

P.S. Slow and steady wins the race!!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back your calories, and unless you weigh over 200 pounds, don't use the 2 pound a week weight loss goal. 1% of total body mass per week should be your max.

2. Better still, figure out your TDEE including all your workouts and everyday activity (being honest), and then eat 80% of this. Read this and follow it closely for a plan tailored to your body and your lifestyle -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you lose weight too quickly, you'll drop muscle as well as fat. And guess what? Muscle burns calories, and fat doesn't. So every time you lose muscle instead of fat, it gets harder to lose the fat that's left. Bringing us to...

3. Lift some weights. You don't have to go power-lifting crazy, but do some form of resistance training. You want to burn fat, not muscle. So you need to tell your body you still need those muscles.