Working out, tracking, and no weight loss!! Why?!?!

Options
One of my co-workers and i have been working out for the past two months 5 days a week sometimes 6 and have recently started doing work outs twice a day. We have been tracking and eating lots healthier than we did before. I am getting frustrated along with her because i feel like i should be losing something. I don't know what i need to do to boost my loss but i have been stuck at this weight for months and i am ready to start losing again. Any suggestions on how to amp up my loss?

Work out examples= jillian michaels work out videos, 30 day cardio challenge, running, weights
Calorie intake= between 1200 and 1400 depending on work out calories gained

Replies

• DLH070911
    DLH070911 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you not losing anything at all, or have you platued (spelling??)? If you were losing weight and have stopped/slowed, have you tried mixing your workouts up?

25707518.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    2 workouts a day, and eating 1200 calories.. There is your problem.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you not losing anything at all, or have you platued (spelling??)? If you were losing weight and have stopped/slowed, have you tried mixing your workouts up?

25707518.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    this or exparment with your cals, sometimes upping can help
  • autopilot_on
    Options
    I'm no expert but it would seem that you may not be eating enough calories. Reducing calories is a great way to trigger weight loss (if you burn more than you take in) but it is a non-discriminatory burn. You could be losing muscle along with the fat. However, when you're exercising as much as you are your body may be holding on to all of the "stored energy" it currently has because it doesn't get enough energy through eating. Maybe you should try increasing your caloric intake by 100-200 calories per day and keep everything else the same, then see what happens.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1. How much do you have to lose?
    2. Have you literally lost nothing? Or are you losing really slowly?
    3. Are you eating back your workout calories?

Without knowing these, we can really just guess.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, IMO you're calorie intake is too low. When I workout 5-6 days a week 1-2 times per day I eat between 2,000-2,400 calories and lose. At first I wasn't eating that many calories and my weight stayed the same for months. After upping calories, I saw a loss the very first week. Search for "in place of a road map" in the message boards and read it. Has a lot of good info.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1. you don't need to work out twice a day, trust me!! only if you want to
    2. 1200-1400 may be too little for you
    3. you should have gotten SOME type of results after two months

Sorry for your frustration, find out your BMR and TDEE. if you have a HRM you can track calories burned through your exercise activities and eat them back if you're sedentary or do light activity outside of working out.
  • Sweetface421
    Sweetface421 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can relate :/
    I'll be looking at your post to see if any good advice comes across!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    if you're only eating 1400 calories and you're working out twice a day you're not eating enough. Boost your intake. Also, toss the DVD's. In my opinion and experience, those DVD's don't produce the best results. I get a much better workout when I'm out running or lifting. Try doing some HIIT training and some weight lifting.
  • jmac263
    jmac263 Posts: 87
    Options
    its not 1200 calories each day. If i work out I eat those calories, If i dont work out i stay around 1200, I will try upping it but my mind tells me if i eat more its not going to help me lose. I have been at the same weight for probably 6 months. For 4 of those months i still worked out just not as often or as much. Its been in the last 2 months i have gone everyday atleast once. I keep thinking it takes time and i will notice a difference, which i have in my muscles just not in weight!!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're not eating enough. Try eating a little more for a week or so, especially if you want to maintain that workout schedule. For me, I have found that helps, even if you want to cut back the calories again after a couple of weeks. Just shakes my body up a little. You might also consider having your hormones checked to see if thyroid is out of balance, because that can also prevent weight loss.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food and tracking EVERYTHING you eat? I know when I get a little lax, my portions get bigger and I consume a lot of bites, tastes and bits of different things, like mints and hard candy. All those extra portions and little uncounted things can add up to several hundred calories a day.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    its not 1200 calories each day. If i work out I eat those calories, If i dont work out i stay around 1200, I will try upping it but my mind tells me if i eat more its not going to help me lose. I have been at the same weight for probably 6 months. For 4 of those months i still worked out just not as often or as much. Its been in the last 2 months i have gone everyday atleast once. I keep thinking it takes time and i will notice a difference, which i have in my muscles just not in weight!!
    What are your stats? Ht, WT, age? if you've done 1200 give or take for the past 4-6 months obv that's not helping you. You're most likely eating below your BMR and your body is not tolerating or cooperating in weight loss. you need to eat more
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements of yourself. Is is possible you are losing inches but not weight?
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing, but it works for me! I eat based on my TDEE, so I calculate that (I use scooby's workshop because I find it the easiest to understand) and then log my exercise as 1 calorie. I end up eating 1600 each day without eating back exercise calories (I'm 5'2" so yours may be higher or lower depending on what you put in for your activity etc.). I've lost about 1/2 pound every week (I'm about 5lbs away from goal so I'm opting for slower loss).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough to support that level of exercise.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    if you're only eating 1400 calories and you're working out twice a day you're not eating enough. Boost your intake. Also, toss the DVD's. In my opinion and experience, those DVD's don't produce the best results. I get a much better workout when I'm out running or lifting. Try doing some HIIT training and some weight lifting.

Agree with the not eating enough - completely disagree with the tossing the dvd's....YOUR results might have been bad - I have seen tons of results from people doing dvd's at home that was really good...
  • jmac263
    jmac263 Posts: 87
    Options
    Height 5'4
    Age 25
    Weight 149

Thank you all for all the comments! I am going to try mixing it up and see what happens!!!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    2 workouts a day, and eating 1200 calories.. There is your problem.

THIS. up your calories. chances are you're not losing anything because you're working out so much and not eating enough -- your body is probably in self-defense starvation mode right now. Up your calories - but eat healthy, clean foods. none of that processed crap. When i did that, i noticed a significant difference in my weight loss.