crochet???

Options

Replies

• magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    it just keeps me from snacking, so its not about burning calories as much as it is calorie intake prevention
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    I wouldnt count it as calorie burn, I just do it to keep my hands busy while I'm watching tv so my hands dont wander to an open bag of chips.
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    I'm so glad to read that other people use crocheting as a way to keep your hands busy, i.e. out of the snack bin, while watching TV. :)

If only it WAS excercise! I'd be a size 6! ;)
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Did anyone click on this topic thinking the title was "crotch"?!:noway: :devil:

Me neither... :blushing:

yes... and sadly moved on to the next post... :ohwell:
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I wouldnt count it as calorie burn, I just do it to keep my hands busy while I'm watching tv so my hands dont wander to an open bag of chips.

Same here for me with knitting! It sounds crazy to some people I've told, but it's helped me tremendously with snacking in front of the tv.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wonder how to count the calories spent when crocheting. Anyone have any ideas?

Personally I do not count it. But what I used to do was crochet while wall sitting.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No calorie burn, but keeps me out of the fridge. I cannot eat and crochet or knit at the same time. :bigsmile:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Crocheting would be "sedentary." No calorie burning going on there.
  • newtopshell
    Options
    I think some of you are all looking at this wrong.You don't need to huff and puff to get your heart rate up and going to lose some major calories.If you think sitting and doing nothing won"t get you no where in burning off calories then think again cuz your BMR is all about that lol. BMR refers to the number of calories your body needs to perform very basic functions while at rest. which include cell repair, body growth, blood circulation and breathing. So yes any lil thing you do counts.Like crazy ppl that move back and forth on their chair are burning calories. Nervous leg shaking before an interview are burning calories. So why not crocheting. Tho huffing and puffing to get your heart rate going in hardcore aerobics is the BEST and FASTEST way to go, but its not the only option. Also what helps make them effortless but very much countable activities useful is not over doing your calorie intake or whats the point in any lil thing you do LOL.
  • gretchens1
    gretchens1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can't believe so many people have responded negatively towards this question - I crochet quite a bit, and quickly, and do "feel the burn" in my arms from time to time. That being said, I thought this was a website where we were meant to support each other, not cut each other down - granted, it is not likely crocheting burns any recordable calories. But come on, people. Don't be jerks.
  • susansloan3
    Options
    173 calories in an hour when crocheting. I understand where alot of you had negative answers to this question. But if you look at the whole picture then I think you would understand better. Like my self I have health issues where I can not go run for miles or use tread mil or other things like allot of you have. I allowed my health to take over for me and gave up packing on the pounds which did not help at all. Now I am working on changing my attitude my habits and what I eat how much, and even if it is just walking 100 steps in my home 3x a day to start with, I have probably looked up thing wondering am I burning calories or not. I am starting at the bottom of the exercise pile and trying to work my way up. I hope this helps explain some things. Like anything when you are eating healthier, lowering your intake, crochet does help burn some of those calories it really makes a difference in small baby steps.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I wonder how to count the calories spent when crocheting. Anyone have any ideas?

It's already accounted for in your activity level....even if you put in sedentary that includes some activity.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

Great snack deterrent for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    173 calories in an hour when crocheting. I understand where alot of you had negative answers to this question. But if you look at the whole picture then I think you would understand better. Like my self I have health issues where I can not go run for miles or use tread mil or other things like allot of you have. I allowed my health to take over for me and gave up packing on the pounds which did not help at all. Now I am working on changing my attitude my habits and what I eat how much, and even if it is just walking 100 steps in my home 3x a day to start with, I have probably looked up thing wondering am I burning calories or not. I am starting at the bottom of the exercise pile and trying to work my way up. I hope this helps explain some things. Like anything when you are eating healthier, lowering your intake, crochet does help burn some of those calories it really makes a difference in small baby steps.

Ok - would 173 be the gross calories burned or the net calories burned? 173 sounds like a huge number for crocheting.

What I mean by net calories is this......if my total daily energy expenditure (maintenance for sedentary activity) is 73 calories an hour...then the DIFFERENCE would be the calories burned just for crocheting....the net burn would be more like 100 calories (MFP is already giving credit for sedentary). Still seems high. But if you log the 100 calories in exercise and you continue to lose weight at the same pace...then you're good to go.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had no idea so many here actually crocheted. I do appreciate the helpful suggestions because I do crochet a lot and to be honest it is a lot of repetitive motion and if crocheting large items or with heavy material it can be considered some type of excersise. I apologize to the ones that thought I was crazy for asking the question :)

Unfortunately, repetitive motion at even that sort of weight isn't burning many calories. You are likely strengthening your fingers, hands, wrists, and even forearms, which is great, because if you ever decided to pick up weights, you've got some potentially stronger stabilizers in your arms. But even weight training is less about calorie burn then it is about building muscle which in turn burns calories... which isn't happening with crocheting.

Otherwise, you need to get your heart rate to actually consider something a cardio exercise. Unless you're huffing and puffing from crocheting, it is probably <5 calories an hour on top of your BMR.

^ this is what you want to remember. If your heart rate is elevated, you're burning extra calories. If not, you aren't.

I tried knitting once and it was so aggravating it drove me to start smoking again.

Maybe I should try crocheting...
  • sofaking6
    Options
    CRAP necro thread :(
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

But aren't you glad you saw it? 'Cause wow.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

But aren't you glad you saw it? 'Cause wow.

We'll always have the Necro Crochet Thread.

• Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't count those calories. I think those are just your typical calories you burn in a day. I don't log when I have to write a couple pages of notes. I do feel the burn in my wrist though. :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are all you crocheters and knitters on Ravelry (ravelry.com)? There's a My Fitness Pal group there....it's fairly inactive, but maybe this can spark some activity.

If you've never seen/heard of/used Ravelry before, check it out, it's amazing! Rav and MFP can keep me entertained for hours!
  • paulbearss
    paulbearss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    coolraul07 wrote: »
    Did anyone click on this topic thinking the title was "crotch"?!:noway: :devil:

Me neither... :blushing:
    I thought it was croquet...