Calling all formerly/currently obese runners!

Options

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    285+ when I started running. It's not bad for your joints (is actually quite good for them), but it will take a while for your body to adjust. You may be sore but you'll adjust.

that being said, if you've got a joint condition already, you can aggrevate it so be careful about pre existing conditions.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The only one that can tell you if it's safe is you....and perhaps your doctor.
    I started running in the low 300's...hurt my knee....didn't start again till the 250's....
    Never thought I'd love running..but now I do.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did C25K when I was about 240 and I agree with everyone who says that good shoes are the key! Go to a running store and get your gait analyzed. Invest in really good shoes. You will NOT regret it. Also, never run two days in a row. Alternate with non-impact exercise. When my knees started hurting, I did water aerobics instead.

I'm now training for my first half marathon after losing close to 100 pounds, so it CAN be done!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yep. Started out C25K at about 260. I'm down in the 220's now, and you can really feel the difference. AND, when I do jumping jacks. Good shoes, good sports bra, and my favorite pants to wear for jogging are these ones that have that slick(er) bicycle short type material. Helps with the thighs, if thats a problem at all...

I never had issues with the knees, but I can definitly see how all the weight constantly thumping up and down on them might cause some problems.

Buy good running shoes, that seems to help :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Can't run because of my knees. I'm still considered obese even after my weight loss. I swim. Anyway, you really should consult your doctor before starting any strenuous regimen. All that bouncing cna be hard on all your joints. Why not walk for a while? A mile of walking burns about as much as a mile of running it just takes that much longer. I'm also in my sixties so that is why I lean toward walking.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I started when I was around 275, following the C25K program. I won't lie, it was hard, very very hard. Initially, I thought that my weight was to blame, but my trim cousin started at the same time and had the same experience. She and I both love it now. If your knees give you any grief, scale it back a bit and ice them after you run. There is no shame in going slow. I did a 5K on Thanksgiving, and a good number of the walkers beat me, but whatever, I did it.

Make sure to shell out for some good shoes, everything starts there. Also spring for a good sports bra. You are already doing something wonderful for yourself, there is no reason to suffer.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist told me a track is better than a treadmill on your ankles and knees. Something about the ground absorbing the impact and being stable.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try running/jogging as a main source of cardio activity. Anyone start running in the 250's or 260's? Is it safe to start jogging when you're still considered "obese"?

***Edit: Sorry, this should have gone to the fitness board. :tongue:

Dumb question but have you tried walking first? How far have you gone with walking alone? I walked, then I jogged for short period of time during my walk. Eventually I just eased into running further and further until I now run my 4 miles in the morning rather than walking it.

It takes time and ease into it when you're heavy. It worked like a champ for me.
  • Ascott6102
    Ascott6102 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running became easier for me when I did two things. I finally bit the bullet and spent the extra 20 bucks for amazing running shoes that I designated only for that purpose. Then I discovered the world of difference in comfort that comes by wearing compression shorts to avoid painful rubbing of the thighs and legs....now running is a normal part of my routine that is very challenging, but almost never outright painful.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You do have to be more careful because the extra weight puts alot more stress on your back and joints. However, I would not say it is dangerous nor inadvisable to try. I'm not an expert, but I have learned a few things over the last year or so, through trial and error and personal experience, that have helped me tremendously. My advice:

1. Go to Fleet Feet or another store that specializes in running shoes and/or running gear to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It is a little more expensive to go this route, but they take a look at your height, weight, gait, and the shape of your feet. They also take measurements to make sure you have the correct size. I had to learn this lesson the hard way. Last year when I started the C25K program, I started having severe knee pain about two weeks into it. It took several weeks to recover from the patellar tendonitis resulting from using improper running shoes. I didn't have any more problems with knee or hip pain after I bit the bullet and shelled out the extra dough for the right pair of shoes from Fleet Feet. I still have them a year later and they still have alot of wear in them. Well worth the $110-$120 I had to pay.

2. Make sure you have a good training regimen in place. C25K is a good place to start as others suggested. However, I have also discovered that a good strength training routine for your legs and core, performed a couple times/week, also works wonders to improve running form and muscle endurance. A good Tabata routine once or twice per week helps improve your cardiovascular endurance, too. (In case you are unfamiliar with the Tabata method, here is a link to a brief description: http://tabatatraining.org/) Alot of local gyms are now offering Tabata classes.

3. Nutrition and hydration are key. Running expends alot of energy in a very short period of time. Making sure you have proper nutrition before and after your running sessions will go a long way in improving endurance and stamina during your workout, and a small snack after running will help in your recovery. Also, make sure you stay hydrated. During the winter months, I am usually okay just drinking water. However, in warmer weather (because I am losing alot more fluid via increased perspiration), I like to drink a 50/50 mix of gatorade and water before and during my workout.

I agree with the good shoes and the C25K suggestion. I spent about the same at Fleet Feet and couldn't be happier - I used to get shin splints when I was younger and weighed a lot less, but I've had no trouble at all. I also recommend you invest in a good running bra if you need to worry about those sorts of things. I got an Enell and it's been worth EVERY penny - I never thought anything could keep those babies safe and secure for running! FYI I was about 200lbs when I started C25K and could barely run one full minute. It is amazing. I've run on and off for a year and a half now and have run/walked four 5K races now. I really enjoy them and find them to be super motivating. Don't wait until you can run a whole 5K - just go do it for the fun of it even if you walk most of the way!

*Edited to add my agreement on stretching before running - when I do that I don't cramp up at all, which was always a problem for my calf area

I don't think it gets mentioned enough! I have a friend who runs half marathons and she showed me the stretches. My calves and my groin area were the spots of me that got the most tight if I didn't stretch before and after. That's miserable. Can't walk, can't sit, can't do anything without being sore. :P It only took me once to make that mistake! Now if I can just get it in my head to remember to stretch pre and post horseback riding lesson...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I don't think it gets mentioned enough! I have a friend who runs half marathons and she showed me the stretches. My calves and my groin area were the spots of me that got the most tight if I didn't stretch before and after. That's miserable. Can't walk, can't sit, can't do anything without being sore. :P It only took me once to make that mistake! Now if I can just get it in my head to remember to stretch pre and post horseback riding lesson...

Just be sure that you warm up a little before your initial stretches (light jogging or fast paced walking for 3-5 mins) since doing that with cold muscles is more likely to cause injuries than prevent them. But a good stretching routine is a must.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K to supplement weight training and get in some cardio. I have found that I don't have any pain, necessarily, but the hardest part for me to get down is the breathing. Maybe it is all mental (I have never liked running), but it is very hard for me to get the breathing down pat in order to push past 4 or 6 minutes straight. Am I running too fast? I walk about 3.2 and "run" at 5.0, on the treadmill. I haven't tried it outside yet, because I have a little guy that won't keep up, so it's easier to use the treadmill and hit the gym where they have child care.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book called Run Your Butt Off...loving it! It's kind of like the C25K program. But it gives you all these helpful hints and stuff. Its by some of the people from Running World magazine. I highly recommend picking up a copy for yourself. I got mine from amazon (used, hardback, in great shape) for $8.00...just google the title and they will pop up...Its been very informative. It also has a workbook in it to help you.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K to supplement weight training and get in some cardio. I have found that I don't have any pain, necessarily, but the hardest part for me to get down is the breathing. Maybe it is all mental (I have never liked running), but it is very hard for me to get the breathing down pat in order to push past 4 or 6 minutes straight. Am I running too fast? I walk about 3.2 and "run" at 5.0, on the treadmill. I haven't tried it outside yet, because I have a little guy that won't keep up, so it's easier to use the treadmill and hit the gym where they have child care.

Yeah, getting the breathing right is hard for me, too. I say try running slower. Yesterday I did 13 minutes at a steady 4.8 and had no problems. Yeah, it's really slow, but it's a start. Today I tried starting at 5.0 and within about 3 minutes was feeling much more winded. I noticed that my breathing wasn't as steady as it was yesterday. I stayed with the 5.0 for 6 minutes then dropped it to 4.8, then did some intervals and kicked it up to 5.0 and 5.1 for a minute at a time.
  • Gitn_Fit
    Gitn_Fit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I began "running" at about 300 pounds. It was much more a jog than run, but it is what my body was ok with. I would walk for 5 minutes, then jog for 1 minute. The sense of pride that came with it was amazing. I didn't have any pain during or after. And I did feel a bit of that high.
    Then I fell off from everything and now I can barely walk to my car without breathing heavy. Such a shame.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I started C25K around my 240's or 230's. The first time I felt like I was going to die because my lungs weren't used to it, joints were fine. It got easier really quickly though. I got to week seven without having to modify the course at all, though there were definitely days where I wanted to. Didn't finish because school started back up and my schedule got busy. If you're concerned, start with walking and/or biking. As I said, my joints were fine, but my pace is super slow.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    me!! me!! I'm in it to win it!! - anyone who is/was fat - and RUNS!!! definitely feel free to add me for buddy support. I'm up to 30 min at 5.5 on the treadmill.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nor sure if this has been mentioned but invest in a good pair of running shoes!!!! . Spend the 100$ + and go to a running store to get fitted. Some shoes have more sole padding then others. Best thing I did. Besides knees you can really mess your feet and toe joint up. Here shoes play a role I am 220 and run alot. Its crazy but you'd think i,d be skinny for all that I do. Proof that diet is key.

Take it easy and there is nomshame on being slow and doing a run/ walk mix
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One more thing, we outwear our shoes quicker than we think. Especially with all the extra weight pounding the soles. If you regulary run, you might new shoes every year.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship

Hahaha! Lovin' the Star Wars/Master Yoda reference. Big thumbs up! :drinker:

Thank you! I think i annoyed some MFP members yesterday with my random Star Wars comments. Sometimes you have to entertain yourself when you're bored at work! lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!