What do you do for a living?

Options
Thought I'd start this thread as I just got a new job at a media company :)
Do you find it easy to maintain your diet whilst at the place you work?
The people at my new job buy countless biscuits and sweets, it's hard to resist, but somehow I manage to only have 2 at the most!

Replies

• kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    I actually have an easier time at work (Marketing Database Analyst - so I am at a desk all day), I keep a snack drawer full of healthy choices to snack on, plus gum. If I want to grab a sweet from my co-worker, I just pop in a piece of gum and work away.
  • Phillips28
    Phillips28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you mean!!! I work in an office, and we celebrate eachother's birthday's by brining in food and having a food day. We have about 30 people in my office, so that is a lot of food! For example, April and July are the big birthday months...SIX birthdays! That means SIX food days. Plus, the area they put all the food at is RIGHT NEXT to my desk. YIKES! So anytime I get up, I have to walk right by it. The food that is brought in is usually donuts, cookies, all the not healthy stuff! I'm NOT looking forward to APRIL! HELP!
  • Phillips28
    Phillips28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you mean!!! I work in an office, and we celebrate eachother's birthday's by brining in food and having a food day. We have about 30 people in my office, so that is a lot of food! For example, April and July are the big birthday months...SIX birthdays! That means SIX food days. Plus, the area they put all the food at is RIGHT NEXT to my desk. YIKES! So anytime I get up, I have to walk right by it. The food that is brought in is usually donuts, cookies, all the not healthy stuff! I'm NOT looking forward to APRIL! HELP!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm a vocal music teacher at a small school district. I teach 6-12 grade students. I plan ahead and pack all my meals and snacks. I used to eat the school lunch, but started bringing my own to save A LOT of calories. Since I started using MFP and exercising, I never eat any of the snacks or treats that others bring! Its been tempting a few times though!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am a Fire Investigator at the Fire Dept. so I have it very easy, gym on site, cooking stove, lots of guys that love to stay in shape I can train or train with....can workout anytime I want.
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get up at 2am to go to work from 3 to 7, then I come home and eat my eggs and toast, then go to the gym. I get to stay home with my daughter, so we go for walks and are potty training so we stay busy. She eats healthy too except some things I dont like, so there is no temptation. They eat donuts at work all the time though- I get sick if I eat that crap, especially that early, so Im good to go! I work at Fedex.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am a Credit Manager for an Ag Company, and I have a snack drawer, but it's not always filled with good food...And, we do the bd thing also, we all bring something, a dip, a side, and fruit/veggie tray, and a few desserts, then we have mtgs with Seed/Chemical Reps, and we have a meal catered, like today is Fried Chicken, Rice Pilaf, Corn, Salad with French Dressing, Bread, and Tea, guess I'll be fasting fro supper!!! XD
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just recently started working for a water utility company. Everyone in my office is always complaining about how fat they are and how they can't stop eating the candy, chips and cokes that the office provides us with. I asked my manager who goes to the store to make the purchases for the office why she even keeps buying us candy and chips and she said its b/c we will complain if she doesn't buy it- I said I wouldn't complain. Either way, we are complaining about it so I think they need to stop, but thats just my opinion!:tongue: I try to kind of plan out my meals, I'll bring breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack so I can (hopefully) stay away from the candy. My healthy eating and desire to stay away from the candy bowl has actually motivated some of the people in my office to start eating healthier and stop eating the junk so it's kind of nice that we have eachothers support.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am a chemist who works in in-organic chemistry. Most the time I am in the lab. I can't eat or drink in there so it is easy to stay away from food. Sometime people bring in food, (we have 90 people on site) but it is rare. Every 3 months they have a dessert party of some kind for fundraising for local charities. That I can't resist but it is not often enough to bother me. I just plan for it.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i manage a photo studio and am basically alone 75% of the year. my boss comes in occasionally and we have other employees during the 25% of the time thats our busy season. I bring all my food each day but it does get quite boring so i find myself getting hungry easier.

Today i brought a 100 calorie pack of almonds, a banana, a yogurt and my frozen lunch thingy.. i already ate the almonds and its only 11:13 and im hungry but won't eat lunch til noon!

i get here at 8 though so it's not a 9 to 5.. an 8 to 4! haha

edit: the busy season [spring into summer] is rough also cause all the people we have in love to order food!!!
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a risk manager at an investment bank. It is much easier to stick to a diet at work because NYC has tons of healthy grab and go restaurants and I try to bring breakfast, lunch, snacks most days. The only thing that gets me is after work happy hours but since I go to grad school 2 nights, I am not subject to them often.

Weekends are the worst. If I just sat at a desk at home for 10 hours each day, I'd probably be better off!
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm a student & I groom horses on my days off. I find it a lot easier to maintain a healthy diet when I have a 5 hour class or clinical lesson at the nursing home. I pack my lunch or dinner and snacks. tons of healthy snacks. and I log it all before I leave. On the weekends I'm overwhelmed by options and I dont like it. Its so much easier when I'm out of the hosue and I can only eat what ive packed.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I work in construction...unfortunately I work in the part where you sit on your butt all day and do paperwork...fortunately that's the side that pays a little better.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm in the communication career field in the Air Force. When I was in High School and College I was very active in that every 50 mins I was walking somewhere (next class, back to my room, meals, etc), not to mention I was in ROTC and had a minimum of 3 1-hr workouts (mandatory). High school I also had a part time job at Sonic as a car hop and walked a ton!!

Since graduating and getting a job in the military, I've noticed two things became factors that (in hind sight) caused me to gain weight:
    1) I was married and when I cooked meals meant to feed 4, we would split the meal between the two of us (hated to waste food, and some of it just wasn't good as leftovers!)
    2) I had (and still have) a sedentary desk job and wasn't getting the physical activity I was accustomed to in College and HS (still mandatory workouts 3 days a week for the first year). The second year I had a different desk job that required 12-14 hr days and working out fell to the wayside while my eating did not change.

I still have a sedentary desk job, but I've found that if I need to talk to someone and they are in my office or down the hall, I'll get up and walk to them as opposed to sending an email or calling. I also park far away from the bldg on purpose to get a decent walk to work, back and forth at lunch and when it's time to go home. I also fidget a lot so that helps a bit too! Regarding snacks, I bring in my own and chew lots of 5 cal gum to curb those sweet cravings and drink lots of water to suppress hunger (water is an awesome, natural hunger suppressant!).

At my new desk job the office does a Friday Surprise where someone signs up to bring a food item on a particular Friday morning (not to mention the birthdays, promotions, retirements, etc that bring in extra food). I always figure out what the calorie information is on MFP before digging in to see what the serving size is and if I can work it in with what I've already planned for lunch and dinner. If I'll go a little over and still want it, then I workout afterwards to make sure it won't affect my weight loss.

So far, it's been working :happy:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm a chef, just starting at a restaurant that's not yet open. So right now it's a bit hard b/c we're testing recipes, and lots of them! The lucky thing is it's a healthier restaurant. IE our breakfast burrito's sausage is 100% veggies and we make about 99% of products in house.

Once we're up and running it'll be much easier bc I won't have time to eat! lol I'll just be taking healthy food home to eat after shift.

Although while going to school for my degree I gained 40#!!! 8-12 students/class + 2-4 class a day + 3-4 days a week = a lot of food to try!!!
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I teach cooking classes and I'm also a p/t zumba instructor. I sooo have no excuse to eat badly cuz I have good stuff readily available. :)
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I am a stay at home dad and a woodworker/artist. I do woodturning.(www.asthewoodturns.com) I posted the link to my website since everyone always asks what is woodturning. I am almost always at home so food is always available. I do all the shopping so I don't buy to many treats. I do all the cooking as well so I get to make most anything I want. I love to bake. But i have cut way back on that. When I am in the mood for baking I invite several people over so there is nothing left over.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i'm a stay at home mom and it is SO hard to stay on top of my diet. all i want to do all day is eat! whenever my son wants a snack i feel like i need a snack lol. i need to keep myself busy somehow to stop all the unnecessary eating!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm a bank teller. I sit all day but my timed snacks and meals make it easier for the day to pass. There isn't too much horrible temptation. 2 of my co-workers are also on MFP (nboliver and brayynichole) so we all bring in our own healthy food (or buy healthy food when we need a change). We have a vending machine and sometimes the Famous Amos cookies or Doritos will tempt me... but we also have some 80 calorie per serving Kellogg's Fruit Snacks that I'll usually grab when I have a sweet craving.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm a cook/baker in the offshore oil fields. I LOVE my job, but yes it's hard to follow a diet out there. Being in the kitchen all day makes it really easier to cheat and really hard not too. On the upside I know everything that goes into the food and how it's prepared so I can help myself out that way. I find easier to keep my water jug handy and every time I have to taste something, I take a drink right after, that washes the taste out and then I don't need another.