MFP weight loss predictor?

Options
Okay! So... I hate the MFP weight loss predictor that pops up after you log your stuff for the day and click "complete". For those of you who have lost weight did you find that it was a good predictor or no? It is discouraging because some days are not as good as other but I am still staying within my cals and workout routines and it will say that 5 weeks from now I will have only lost 5-10 lbs. Grrr

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you have a normal metabolism, yes, it's fairly accurate as long as your logging is accurate.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I find it to be reasonably accurate-given that every day is not ever exactly like today.

If it's telling you that in 5 weeks you'll weigh 5-10lbs less, that's a 1-2lb/week loss. If you're expecting more than that, you may want to adjust your expectations for reasonable weight loss rates. 1-2 lbs/week is perfect (perhaps high depending on how much you have to lose).
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find it to be reasonably accurate-given that every day is not ever exactly like today.

If it's telling you that in 5 weeks you'll weigh 5-10lbs less, that's a 1-2lb/week loss. If you're expecting more than that, you may want to adjust your expectations for reasonable weight loss rates. 1-2 lbs/week is perfect (perhaps high depending on how much you have to lose).

^^ This!!
    If you want to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week then you are aiming way too high. 1 pound a week is recommended.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I like it so I can get and idea of what weight I will achieve if I continue to eat the calories alloted.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I definitely find it discouraging on days when I overeat...but I guess that's kind of the point. :(
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It seemed very optimistic to me so I kept a journal. And lo and behold, it was pretty accurate as long as I stayed very much 'like today'.

Try writing down what it says on a average day for you, make a note of when 5 weeks is up and check it.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Doesnt seem to work for me. I have a pretty large calorie deficit. Its been saying Id be below 200 lbs for 3 months now.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with losing 5-10 pounds in 5 weeks. That is 1-2 pounds a week. Sounds good to me! Just keep at it. In five weeks you will be that much lighter and looking towards the next 5 weeks.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It seemed very optimistic to me so I kept a journal. And lo and behold, it was pretty accurate as long as I stayed very much 'like today'.

Try writing down what it says on a average day for you, make a note of when 5 weeks is up and check it.

Nice--and thanks, that's very helpful!
  • superchunk17
    superchunk17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with losing 5-10 pounds in 5 weeks. That is 1-2 pounds a week. Sounds good to me! Just keep at it. In five weeks you will be that much lighter and looking towards the next 5 weeks.

My thoughts exactly.......
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i think mine is broken , keeps saying if every day was like this i would be 105 lbs in 5 weeks ... been saying that for a year every single day ( variates of one or two pounds) yet i am still at 119 lbs ... LIES lol
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The idea is IF you ate exactly that way every day for the next 5 weeks and maintained exactly that same activity level that is your projected estimated weight. Since you know that you are going to have better days than others, just think of it as a mini goal. Log it for "5 weeks from now" and see if you succeed. Some days I pass it, some days I am off the mark.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The problem with the predictor is that it predicts weight loss based on the premise that you will eat exactly the same way every single day, at least in regards to your calorie count. I don't know about you, but mine fluctuates depending on the day. So I tend to not really pay too much attention to it since its predictions fluctuate on almost a daily basis. It's good if you want a ball park range of what you will weight in 5 weeks, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. That's just my opinion though.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I want 3lbs a week
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing at first then I strated following one of my other pals on here & logged in what was estiamted & I have to say it's been pretty close for me. Now I will admit there are times that I've stepped on the scale & the numbers I thought should've been there were waay off but when I went back to te scale a week or so later it comes close to the estimation. So long story short it works for me!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think it is full of "hooey". If I kept my current eating, I would weigh between 100-105 pounds. But I don't. And I do not cheat. And I am very active. So, I guess that must mean that I have a slow metabolism?:smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I only wish it was true. Not even slightly close for me. According to the tracker my weight should just be flying off, but no. Not even.
  • barbiesnd
    barbiesnd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I want 3lbs a week

This would be hard to maintain. A pound a week doesn't sound like much but it's 50lb's a year.........I'll take it!!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ohhh how i would love to lose 15 this year ... just 15
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It is ok to lose weight on the MFP plan!