MFP weight loss predictor?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It is an indicator - and 5-10 pounds in five weeks is GREAT!! This is not a rush job - you didn't put the weight on in 5 weeks, so work at it, and you will get there.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say, 5-10 in 5 weeks is a worthy achievement.

I think the 5 week calculation is pretty much simple math. If you look at it as 35 days, (ie: 5 weeks x 7 days), you can take the amount it says you will lose in 5 weeks, divide by 35 and voila! you've got a representative amount you have lost that day. Add them up in between weigh ins and see how it compares.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The problem with the predictor is that it predicts weight loss based on the premise that you will eat exactly the same way every single day, at least in regards to your calorie count. I don't know about you, but mine fluctuates depending on the day. So I tend to not really pay too much attention to it since its predictions fluctuate on almost a daily basis. It's good if you want a ball park range of what you will weight in 5 weeks, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. That's just my opinion though.

^^^This...I've lost quite a bit, but I haven't hit that number once...ah well.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It'd be nice if MFP had some sort of feature that every Sunday or so you'd be able to look at your average projected weight loss based on what you ate for the week, too. That would probably be a more accurate predictor instead of the day-to-day fluctuations.

As for me...I plateaued at one point, so it kept promising me weight loss that didn't come for another two months. :grumble:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    lol... i have 2 planned "cheat" days a month, however, i still log... anyways, one of the last "cheat" days i had, when i finished logging, it said i would way 24 pounds heavier in 5 weeks, if every day was like that... lol that was a shock to see!!!
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like to look at as more of a kick in the butt or a congratulations on the particular day. It motivates me because I either know I need to step it up, or that I did really well for the day. I don't expect accuracy from it, nor do I count on it to tell me what I will weigh, I just look at it as a daily motivator of the *could be* and I like that. Obviously I don't eat the same thing and do the same exact workout everyday, so it's not going to be right on the mark.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It was not accurate for me at all, actually it always tells me I'll gain weight but I always stay the same or lose. *shrug* I like to eat!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's pretty accurate for me :) And why do you think 5-10 lbs is bad? I think it's pretty friggin awesome! :) A healthy weight loss is to aim for 0.5-2 lbs a week, so 5-10 lbs in 5 weeks is right on!

Yes you COULD give a company lots of money every month to give you some shake or other food that will cause you to drop weight quickly... then when you stop (which you will eventually, who can live off shakes twice a day for their life? boring....), then you just gain all that weight back and are out that money. What's the point? Lots of people say Weight Watchers or Atkins or Body By Vi or any of the other hundreds of fad diets, made them lose X number of lbs in 2 months, but then what happens? Are you expected to stay on these plans for the rest of your life?

I decided to SKIP the fad diet stage, I'll spend that money on rewards for myself for meeting my goals :) It's believed that those who loose weight at a healthy rate are much more likely to maintain that new lifestyle, and keep that weight off in the long run. Remember, it took you longer than a week to put on 10 lbs, it's going to take longer than a week to lose it. Keep at it and it WILL come off :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It was not accurate for me at all, actually it always tells me I'll gain weight but I always stay the same or lose. *shrug* I like to eat!

I'm guessing it tells you that you will gain (but you don't) because you eat enough calories that you WOULD gain, except that you do strength training which burns off those extra calories. That's my guess at least from looking at your profile pic :) FYI, jealous of your back muscles!!! lol Looking awesome!! I just starting strength training now with machines and some dumbells at the moment, working my way into the weight section :P I find that I need to eat a little extra on days I do strength stuff.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    lol... i have 2 planned "cheat" days a month, however, i still log... anyways, one of the last "cheat" days i had, when i finished logging, it said i would way 24 pounds heavier in 5 weeks, if every day was like that... lol that was a shock to see!!!

I think it is more of a barometer, and it depends if you are being honest in your tracking too, as the cheat day indicated, lol
  • sofiawantstolose
    sofiawantstolose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I never overeat - in fact, i always eat too few calories, because I exercise a lot everyday. Please people look at my blog, there's a post about that, I need your help.
    Friend requests accepted!!
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    I'm wondering this too. I kinda like to set mini-goals though and place the 'in 5 wks' mark by something I'll remember. the last one I did that for was feb. it said I would weigh 222. I've already beat that.I'm not going to worry bout that until 5 wks before my birthday, I want to hit ONEderland and have passed by halfway goal (206). My birthday is april 19th. so I'll start paying attention to the predicter in early/middle march.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I'm guessing it tells you that you will gain (but you don't) because you eat enough calories that you WOULD gain, except that you do strength training which burns off those extra calories. That's my guess at least from looking at your profile pic :) FYI, jealous of your back muscles!!! lol Looking awesome!! I just starting strength training now with machines and some dumbells at the moment, working my way into the weight section :P I find that I need to eat a little extra on days I do strength stuff.
    Thanks so much! ;)
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Ohhh. Okay. That does make sense. 5 weeks just seems like such a long time. The 5 pound days are more discouraging than the 10, I guess. What bothers me is that when I calculate how many calories I should be having to lose 2 lbs a week... other calculations are saying "1500ish" and MFP was saying 1200... so I feel like now when I log more calories than MFP wants me to eat, it holds it against me! lol.