Would you Date/Marry an Older Man or Woman?

Options
Terasome
Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
Was just reading another thread which has been resurrected from early last year so thought I'd start a new one and get new input.

Would you date or marry an older man/woman? Say 10 years + older than you?

Do you find anything wrong with that or do you feel each to their own?

Replies

• heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Actually I am... he is nine years older, and the marriage is great! There a few gaps, music and such, but our normal likes and dislikes are the same, and he is way more level headed that the younger or same age men I dated in the past. I am a very lucky woman.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have dated an older woman before. But I don't think I would marry someone 10+ years older than me
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    On the average, no. I prefer someone who is closer to my age. I tend to like around 3-5 years older. But, I've been seeing someone off and on for a few years who is 16 years older than me. He does NOT look 44. Could easily pass for 35 or younger.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The only time i think its "wrong" is when the younger person is still in their early 20's (or younger) like anything below 23-2.. your still dumb (sorry but its true). Besides that, I don't see anything wrong with it. My mother and father in law were 20 years apart and were married till he died in 2009.. 20 something years. I'd date- f**k - marry and older man... *shrugs
    I actually ended up marrying someone 6 months younger than me,although, mentally he's more mature than most 40 year old i know.
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I prefer someone around my age, as I have more in common with people around my age. But I don't look down on others for being with someone much older or younger.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I like that my husband is only 3 years older than me because we grew up with a lot of the same things and I kind of like that well...a lot. :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Seeing how I have huge crushes on guys like Robert Downey Jr and Jeremy Renner, the answer is yes.

Edit:
    Obviously we'd have to have something in common for it to work but I wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Was just reading another thread which has been resurrected from early last year so thought I'd start a new one and get new input.

Would you date or marry an older man/woman? Say 10 years + older than you?

Do you find anything wrong with that or do you feel each to their own?

This is going to depend a lot on where people are in their lives and what they want from the marriage. I don't see anything wrong with it at all, but I think when it involves teenagers or a little order person, people should be aware that they may not have found themselves and may change. So, if a thirty year old is with an eighteen year old it might be better waiting as he or she may be a different person at age 23.

Where people are with children is going to be an issue - do they have them, do they want them, does the other person have them or want them? How might it affect the children and so on.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Sure. I've dated men older than me, and I prefer them over the younger ones who have the !Q of a doorknob.

Honestly, the man I've seriously thought I'd like to marry is the same age as my mother - 79.

I'm 52.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I guess I should answer my own question.

I married a man who was 12 years older than me, we are very much on the same page with alot of things.

My Master is 13 years older than me :wink: LOL
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    If you are both in love with each other and secure in yourselves enough to not worry about the opinion of friends, family, and the general public then who cares. Love who you want. If I were single and some older rich man wanted me. I am not above marrying old for money.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have no rules. It's not likely I will fall in love with someone 30 years my senior - but hey if it happens it happens...
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I prefer older men. My experience is they treat women better. Especially if the woman is younger.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Date... perhaps. Marry... no. The reason is simply that at a certain age people start to have health issues and I DO NOT want to take on the nursing care of some old guy while I could still be out doing active things. OF COURSE I realize that there are no guarantees in life -- even younger people can develop serious health issues – but the odds increase as we age. Generally speaking, there is a world of difference between your average 60-year-old and your average 80-year-old. I realize it is a selfish perspective but it's the truth, for me.

Having said that, I have nothing against anyone who chooses to date/marry either a very much younger or older partner. I have lots of friends who have and it's been great for them.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like older guys. I want someone more mature than me not less.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    id say yes i would. age is a number and if i love the person who cares what their age, ethnicity, sex, religion ect.....? its my buisness and not to mention guys who are 21?........um not a good choice, their all into clubs and parties and all this stuff im not into anymore so it dosnt really work not to mention their usually VERY inmature....so yes im 21 and id date someone 31-35 area would be good for me, not aiming into the 70's tho lmao it IS possible tho (would be amazing if a guy still had game and was smooth at 70 :))
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am married to a man that is 10 years older than me, and my step son is 10 years younger than me! I am smack dab in the middle of them!:happy:
  • plcowner
    plcowner Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I married an older woman/cradle robber lol
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nah, I actually prefer younger guys. I find older guys too bossy and condescending. The oldest I would go would be maybe two years older than me. I wouldn't date someone ten years younger though lol, maybe five years.