"Big Boned"

Options
13»

Replies

• Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "big boned" I do believe however that people do have different size of frames. For example one of my close friends is the same height as me and weighs about 80 pounds less. She is no too skinny and looks very healthy. If I lose 40 ponds I will be back in the same size as her, but still weigh 40 pounds more. I hope that makes sense....

You get the difference weights/sizes because some people have more muscle on their frames than others.

Two people can both be a size 8 for example... but one weight 130lbs and one weights 150lbs. Muscle makes you look smaller while actually weighing more.

To the OP... I hate the term big boned as well. I've heard way too many people say they weren't fat.. they were simply big boned. I believe some people use it as an excuse.

So I need lots of muscle!!! :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think people say big boned, to give someone they love and care about an out. Don't take it, we are all here to help each other be the person they have always wanted to be.
  • kayjay14
    Options
    I'll show you a big bone...

On the skeleton of that Tyrannosaurs rex over there. Wow, truly a thunder lizard.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    big boned is a way of saying bigger frame then others. you can have a small medium or large frame. large is what they call big boned
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Agree with @DJames92, Large frame is equal to Big boned.
  • seahorse5525
    Options
    Try eating the food you crave while you are blindfolded, to try and really get in tune when you are actually full, and to help stop yourself from over eating. Trying to deprive yourself of your favorite foods is useless, it's like trying to force yourself to stop thinking about something. Try to find a lower calorie alternative to your favorite ! :D Good luck - it's sure not an easy thing to change habits. :/
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "big boned" I do believe however that people do have different size of frames. For example one of my close friends is the same height as me and weighs about 80 pounds less. She is no too skinny and looks very healthy. If I lose 40 ponds I will be back in the same size as her, but still weigh 40 pounds more. I hope that makes sense....

You get the difference weights/sizes because some people have more muscle on their frames than others.

Two people can both be a size 8 for example... but one weight 130lbs and one weights 150lbs. Muscle makes you look smaller while actually weighing more.

To the OP... I hate the term big boned as well. I've heard way too many people say they weren't fat.. they were simply big boned. I believe some people use it as an excuse.

True about the muscle. I am muscular, but have a small-to-medium frame, and I weigh ~10-20lbs more than girls the same height as me that wear the same size clothing.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as big boned. Your literal bones are thicker than other peoples bones. I have a small frame. I would be small boned. My sister who is much more fit than I is big boned. She is not fat at all! She is definitely at the lower end of a healthy weight for her, but yes, her bones are wider than mine are. While we are on the topic of misunderstandings, can I just say it is frustrating to hear people always assume big boned = fat, likewise it is frustrating to hear people assume curvy = fat. One can have curves and be very healthy/fit. One can have no curves and be fat. Body types do not equate fat or not fat, fat does.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's a term that over weight people use to defend being fat. " I'm not fat, I'm big boned." ~ Cartman from Southpark

My nephew used to tell me, "I'm not fat. I'm just full of looooooooove".
  • Rjsmith07
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as big boned. Your literal bones are thicker than other peoples bones. I have a small frame. I would be small boned. My sister who is much more fit than I is big boned. She is not fat at all! She is definitely at the lower end of a healthy weight for her, but yes, her bones are wider than mine are. While we are on the topic of misunderstandings, can I just say it is frustrating to hear people always assume big boned = fat, likewise it is frustrating to hear people assume curvy = fat. One can have curves and be very healthy/fit. One can have no curves and be fat. Body types do not equate fat or not fat, fat does.

I am one of those no curves people lol.... kinda like a straight figure, not fat but if I had a little more curves it would look much better... plastic surgeon sometime soon, maybe? :)
  • JasMikkol89
    JasMikkol89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I cant get "skinny" im very curvy no matter how much weight i loose, i always have thick thighs, big boob, hella curvy and a big *kitten* lol. no matter how hard i try to be "skinny" it will never happen. the smallest i have every been was 140, and i could never really go past that.
  • Rjsmith07
    Options
    I cant get "skinny" im very curvy no matter how much weight i loose, i always have thick thighs, big boob, hella curvy and a big *kitten* lol. no matter how hard i try to be "skinny" it will never happen. the smallest i have every been was 140, and i could never really go past that.
    145 is my goal weight, anything under that I would be too small for my height which with my frame would still be about a size 9 or at least always has been... I can't remember when I was any smaller than that and for me that was a healthy weight. Still got some meat and don't look TOO skinny
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think that what a lot of people think of as "big boned" is just lean body mass vs. body fat. They probably don't mean that you are actually bigger boned, just that you have too much meat on you to get really thin. This too, goes either way. I always thought I could weigh 120 pounds, until I found out that my lean body mass is 112 pounds :/. It's why some people are really healthy at 150 pounds, while others are overweight at that size.

i've seen it used this way as well, but very rarely. i've also heard this referred to as solid as well.

but most times, big boned is people making excuses as to why they should have more body fat than someone else
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I consider myself to be "big boned"in a way. I am 5'9.5"and I KNOW that I will never be a size 6. My hip bones are wide and my ribcage is wide. I am just a wider set individual. I will never be model skinny and weigh 130 pounds, which is why my realistic goal is 170 because I would look good then! That shouldn't stop you from working out and pushing to be the best you to make you happy :) If you know that you can look better, then do it! That's what I'm doing! If I want to lose more after hitting 170, I'll keep going. If I am happy with my body at 172 and think I look awesome, I'll stop there! Just look at yourself and make/change goals for you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can be large framed. I have wider shoulders, wide hips, bigger rib cage, big head, big hands, big feet, etc. A size 0 will never happen for me, maybe not even a 2 or 4. 145 is the lowest I've been as a adult. I could have gone a bit lower than that but not much.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I think we come in all shapes and sizes. I am small boned, but I have stood next to a girlfriend who is Vietnamese. I look enormous next to her. She couldn't weight as much as me. She would be fat. By the same token, I can stand next to my sister-in-law, and she has bigger bones than I do. A healthy weight for her is 15 pounds more than me.