14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here's the ACTUAL list of foods you must cut from your diet to get healthy and fit:

You're welcome :) ...now get to work...

+1
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Me and bread are homies.
    You can catch me sniffing the loaves in the bakery section, it's our 'hello, how you doin'?' thing.

I am TOTALLY a fresh bread sniffer!!!
    Me too, and a hugger if it's still warm, makes me feel good inside :love:
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    Me and bread are homies.
    You can catch me sniffing the loaves in the bakery section, it's our 'hello, how you doin'?' thing.

Hahaha....this!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Yahoo that I found interesting and worthy to share:

14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0

This article specifically calls out foods you should avoid, why you should avoid them, and an alternative to consider.

Swordfish
    Nonorganic Strawberries
    Diet Soda
    Anything from McDonald's
    Canned Tomatoes
    Bread
    Industrially Produced Hamburger
    Corn
    White Chocolate
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Sprouts
    Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
    Food Dyes
    Chain Restaurant Ice Cream

If you eat Tesco's Hamburgers it might bring out your inner racehorse and help you run faster, lol!!! (anyone not British would probably need to google this one, hahaha!) :laugh:

Come on now, these jokes have been going on furlong enough. :happy:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This list is so random.

Because each food was 'cut' by a different 'expert'.

And yes... expert is in quotes for a reason. :smile: I thought the list was B.S.
  • Ericalovesmagnus
    Options
    An alternative list:
    Don't eat endangered species.
    Don't eat food that's been produced using child labour.
    Don't eat food that has been produced in the ashes of the rainforest.
    Try to cut down on food that's crossed continents to reach you.
    Try to cut down on food which can't be reproduced in your own kitchen, because they require industrial equipment and mysterious chemicals.

I am sure there are several "food groups" I have forgotten, but except from what I am allergic to, these are the foods I really try to avoid.

^^^This^^^
    Was going to say exactly the same thing, but you said it better!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    When it says sprouts is that Brussels sprouts or bean sprouts?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to send me lots of money so I can afford organic ground beef is welcome to. My Paypal ID is Maraisjustkiddingshedoesn'treallywantyourmoney.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    An alternative list:
    Don't eat endangered species.
    Don't eat food that's been produced using child labour.
    Don't eat food that has been produced in the ashes of the rainforest.
    Try to cut down on food that's crossed continents to reach you.
    Try to cut down on food which can't be reproduced in your own kitchen, because they require industrial equipment and mysterious chemicals.

I am sure there are several "food groups" I have forgotten, but except from what I am allergic to, these are the foods I really try to avoid.

The above makes good sense for the planet. :flowerforyou:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I can kind of guess on all the others, but what would be wrong with swordfish?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    LOL now since when are sproutrs bad for ya? :huh:

next people will be saying ALL fruit and veg are bad! :noway:
    I can at least give the why on this one- they're one of the most likely foods to be e-coli contaminated.

Actually, I could give the why on all of them, and they're all different. It might have been useful information to post with the seemingly random list. My providing this information does in no way mean I support eliminating the bunch. I stand by trans fats being the only food worth a "bad food" categorization.

Exactly... nobody is reading the article, just looking at the list. Yes, all of these things have some potentially negative effects and they are spelled out in the article, though that does not mean these claims are proven or even well researched. It's definitely a bit of scare mongering, but with everyone so interested in 'good' and 'bad' foods these silly lists will continue to emerge as long as people continue to read them.

Does inclusion on this list mean you can't have these things if you are trying to lose weight? Certainly not. The article isn't in regards to WEIGHT LOSS, it's in regard to general health. Everyone saying "I eat canned tomatos and I still lose weight!" is missing the point. (But congratulations on the losses and NOT being the sort of people who classify foods as good or bad!)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know why canned tomatoes are on the list. It's because tomatoes are acidic and can linings have BPA in them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat them, just answering the question.

You are right about the BPA. (I work in the petrochemical industry) Plastics in food is creating many health concerns. Some of the substances in plastics mimic hormones and are being linked to endocrine diseases, early puberty in girls and hypogonadism in boys. Consider the jump in thyroid issues over the last few years. What is causing it?

Dont microwave in plastic and buy tomatoes & sauces packaged in glass.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had a read through the article. Maybe a more useful summary would be:

Be aware of mercury levels in fish, especially if you're pregnant.
    Organic food has less pesticides in it.
    Dark chocolate has more of the good antioxidants than white choc.
    GM foods are everywhere, and hard to avoid.
    Artificial sweetners and corn syrups aren't good for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know why canned tomatoes are on the list. It's because tomatoes are acidic and can linings have BPA in them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat them, just answering the question.

You are right about the BPA. (I work in the petrochemical industry) Plastics in food is creating many health concerns. Some of the substances in plastics mimic hormones and are being linked to endocrine diseases, early puberty in girls and hypogonadism in boys. Consider the jump in thyroid issues over the last few years. What is causing it?

Dont microwave in plastic and buy tomatoes & sauces packaged in glass.

My pantry will always be full of canned tomatoes. I've never seen tomatoes packaged in glass jars except home-canned ones.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Stupid
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It came from Yahoo! the only way it could have less credibility is if it came from the land of Oz.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I eat practically all of them. It doesn't prevent me from cutting, or from being fit.
    Sure...you could have a 12 pack if you cut those foods out..its on the internet and we know nothing can be on the internet that is not true!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Consider the jump in thyroid issues over the last few years. What is causing it?

Part of the jump is from better and more reliable tests and data as with ANY disease as well as more and very profitable medications for said disease(s).
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Eating McDonalds and drinking a diet coke as I read this. Damn. :grumble:
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I love how they put "corn", and then need to put "butter-flavored microwave popcorn" too.