Swordfish?
    Canned Tomatoes?
    Corn?
    Sprouts?

uh. yeh.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A few observations. First, why do people who have been on here all of about 20 minutes with a total of 2 posts feel the need to bring enlightenment to the rest of us in the form of a stupid list???

Secondly, oh yeah, I always get my nutritional guidance from Yahoo!! :noway:

Third, orthorexic much??
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper - but not cuz it's healthier... more cause I like to watch the popcorn kernels swirl around and jump and squeak when the first and last ones pop

I totally do this too.... It's even better than popping it on the stove (health-wise and fun-wise!!!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Yahoo that I found interesting and worthy to share:

14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0

This article specifically calls out foods you should avoid, why you should avoid them, and an alternative to consider.

Swordfish
    Nonorganic Strawberries
    Diet Soda
    Anything from McDonald's
    Canned Tomatoes
    Bread
    Industrially Produced Hamburger
    Corn
    White Chocolate
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Sprouts
    Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
    Food Dyes
    Chain Restaurant Ice Cream
    You're better off listening to science or me.:laugh: You can have ALL of these if you have no bad reaction to them and count them in your daily calorie intake along with some whole foods and correct macro/micro nutrient counts. The problem for many overweight people, is that this is basically ALL they eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I still like my organic popcorn and won't stop eating it. I do refuse to eat microwave popcorn though because of the chemicals. It is soooo easy to make popcorn on the stove.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Yahoo that I found interesting and worthy to share:

14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/14-foods-you-should-cut-your-diet#0

This article specifically calls out foods you should avoid, why you should avoid them, and an alternative to consider.

Swordfish
    Nonorganic Strawberries
    Diet Soda
    Anything from McDonald's
    Canned Tomatoes
    Bread
    Industrially Produced Hamburger
    Corn
    White Chocolate
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Sprouts
    Butter-Flavored Microwave Popcorn
    Food Dyes
    Chain Restaurant Ice Cream

Canned tomatoes? Sprouts???
    Get real, this list is nonsense!
  • Pablito66
    Pablito66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Corn: how can it be bad when it comes OUT exactly how it went IN? (It's kinda miraculous... cuz even if you chew it... it comes out whole!)

HAHAHA! I thought it was just ME!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Canned tomatoes? Sprouts???
    Get real, this list is nonsense!

If you read the article, you'll see the reasoning behind each listed food, which does looks quite random as a whole without context. Several of these listed foods make sense.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The only things you should cut form your diet are:

1) Food you don't like
    2) Food you can't control yourself with, if that exists.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why just McDonalds? LMAO!

Ugh, anywho..14 Nos coming your way :D
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How about a list of things you can eat? Or would that be too long? Hmmm...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Here's the ACTUAL list of foods you must cut from your diet to get healthy and fit:

You're welcome :) ...now get to work...
    THIS!!!! I love you!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Consider the jump in thyroid issues over the last few years. What is causing it?
    If that was known, it would probably be better addressed. but I am GUESSING that Iodine 131 levels from early bomb testings may have mutated into the harvests of the US. Rads are higher in the Mid western states where a lot of foods are grown and raised compared to the coastal areas. Again this is just my GUESS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Only food a very rich person should avoid...........................................the one served by the spouse.

IDEA Fitness member
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Just grow your own vegetables/fruit/herbs if you can. I used to have a whole garden in my backyard. Need to start doing that again. We had;

okra
    corn
    zucchini
    green beans
    squash
    bell peppers
    lettuce
    onions
    tomatoes
    oranges
    lemons
    peaches
    cherries
    apples
    plums
    rosemary
    chilis
    tyme

There's probably more but I forget
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i don't eat any of that anyways! guess i'm in the clear haha :)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    LOL now since when are sproutrs bad for ya? :huh:

next people will be saying ALL fruit and veg are bad! :noway:

And then perhaps water....and air

Air ages your cells, causes free radicals, causes skin and body aging, and will eventually make you die of old age.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Although the bioethics of GMOs are a legitimate concern (especially with Monsanto and patent lawsuits), there is no scientific evidence that a genetically modified crop is more dangerous or less nutritious than a traditionally bred crop. Some genetically modified foods, such as golden rice, provide increased levels of vitamin A and can be used in the third world to reduce the incidence of childhood blindness. If a food crop is modified to lower the incident of pesticide use and the amount of land required for a specific harvest, it's a good thing! There seems to be a lot of scare mongering on this issue, or when any new science comes out.

Although all GMOs should be labeled so consumers can choose what they eat.

I personally grow heirloom vegetables in my garden, because I think it's very cool to own a part of history - a plant that someone cultivated 100 years ago or more. The genetic diversity and uniqueness of my heirlooms trumps those big box store hybrid seeds. Why grow a plain red beefsteak tomato - everyone is growing them - when I can grow pink, yellow, green, white striped, blue, and fuzzy tomatoes in all sorts of shapes and sizes!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Although the bioethics of GMOs are a legitimate concern (especially with Monsanto and patent lawsuits), there is no scientific evidence that a genetically modified crop is more dangerous or less nutritious than a traditionally bred crop. Some genetically modified foods, such as golden rice, provide increased levels of vitamin A and can be used in the third world to reduce the incidence of childhood blindness. If a food crop is modified to lower the incident of pesticide use and the amount of land required for a specific harvest, it's a good thing! There seems to be a lot of scare mongering on this issue, or when any new science comes out.

Although all GMOs should be labeled so consumers can choose what they eat.
    LIKE.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful Yahoo didn't put Chipotle or Whey on the list.