Butt!

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
Disclaimer: I am not asking how to make my butt smaller, take the fat off there first ect ect I understand you cannot choose where you lose fat.

My question is this - What exercises can I do that target my butt? Apart from my stomach, it is my main problem area. We do not have full length mirrors in my home (not by choice, we rent) and my partner and I went away last weekend and I caught a glimpse of my bum in the bathroom... I nearly died! I cried for half an hour!

I know squats and lunges (especially with weights) but what else can I do? TIA!

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats are killer! Also, look up "pop-pilates what makes you bootiful" on youtube. It's a one-direction 3 minute workout, but let me tell you, you feel the burn in the bum!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    yip heavy heavy squats (yesterday I got a personal best of 77.5kg)

glute bridges as well (weighted)
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    squats and squats and squats and squats
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You won't find this in any exercise plan I have seen, but I use isometric exercises for my butt. Just squeeze and release. if I'm sitting on a hard chair, I squeeze to lift my body up. Do this in repetitions. (You will feel it the next day after you do this)

I don't know how effective this is, but isometrics are effective. I know that it won't get rid of that inflated extrusion on my back side, but I do hope that when my weight is more normal, that it will be better toned.

I can't do squats. I'm just too heavy still. But I know that in another 10 pounds or so, I will be able to hold onto the edge of the sink in the kitchen and use that for support as I lower and raise myself keeping my back absolutely straight. It targets more than the thighs. It's kid of like a squat in slow, controlled motion.

If you ever find a miracle cure for getting rid of excess butt, please let me know. So far, most of my 30 pounds of weight loss have come from my breasts. (It really is amazing how much less they weigh).
  • Dexy_
    Options
    If you ever find a miracle cure for getting rid of excess butt, please let me know. So far, most of my 30 pounds of weight loss have come from my breasts. (It really is amazing how much less they weigh).

Agreed about the boobs!! I've gone from 16DD to 14B... if I lose anymore boob I'll have none left!!

Mostly my bum just looks deflated, I actually had a nice bum when I was fat(er)! lol
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I can't do squats. I'm just too heavy still. But I know that in another 10 pounds or so, I will be able to hold onto the edge of the sink in the kitchen and use that for support as I lower and raise myself keeping my back absolutely straight. It targets more than the thighs. It's kid of like a squat in slow, controlled motion.

What do you mean you are too heavy for squats?
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Try Brazil Butt Lift workouts, especially Bum Bum and High & Tight.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Would also like to know why you think you're too heavy for squats. It's likely not true.
  • Dexy_
    Options

GET EM TIGER!!
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 77 Member
    Options

you are my hero that is an awesome effort!! I've only just started squatting properly (weighted deep squats so I start activating my glutes) and oh boy! turns out am nowhere near as strong as i thought i was lol. Also love glute bridges!

p.s i do not mean that deep squats are the only 'proper' way to squat - there is no offense intended
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

you are my hero that is an awesome effort!! I've only just started squatting properly (weighted deep squats so I start activating my glutes) and oh boy! turns out am nowhere near as strong as i thought i was lol. Also love glute bridges!

p.s i do not mean that deep squats are the only 'proper' way to squat - there is no offense intended

All squats should be deep (*kitten* to the grass as they say)

I started out just a little over 6 months ago with 40kg and just progressed - always striving to up my weights even if it's just by 2.5kg - consistency is the key x
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Would also like to know why you think you're too heavy for squats. It's likely not true.

I'm 62 and 91 pounds (41 kg) over my ideal. My knees just can't support me adequately any more. I can't get my feet anywhere near my butt., but if I could, I couldn't lift this weight I carry for more than a few inches. My body is so misshapen that balance is impossible - and even difficult if I'm holding on to something (like the sink or a pair of chairs) for support. I have only recently begun to be able to stand straight (because body fat was pinching against my spinal nerves - making even walking more than small distances impossible). I haven't been able to do a real squat for a decade - when I actually enjoyed being able to do them. If I drop a spoon on the floor under the table, I need to use a chair to get down and then use that chair to crawl back up again like an infant climbing stairs. The knees are a problem - as they are on so many older people - including people like me who were never fat before "life happened". (For me 14 years ago). That's a LOT of weight for old knees to carry.

What I DO do is use my Bowflex to approximate a squat using resistance. I use the band around my shoulder area, lean backwards (the band holds me up), and do semi-inclined squat equivalents. It's still not quite a squat. My knees just can't bend that far because of interfering fat. It's a matter of body physics.

Am I missing something?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I'm 62 and 91 pounds (41 kg) over my ideal. My knees just can't support me adequately any more. I can't get my feet anywhere near my butt., but if I could, I couldn't lift this weight I carry for more than a few inches. My body is so misshapen that balance is impossible - and even difficult if I'm holding on to something (like the sink or a pair of chairs) for support. I have only recently begun to be able to stand straight (because body fat was pinching against my spinal nerves - making even walking more than small distances impossible). I haven't been able to do a real squat for a decade - when I actually enjoyed being able to do them. If I drop a spoon on the floor under the table, I need to use a chair to get down and then use that chair to crawl back up again like an infant climbing stairs. The knees are a problem - as they are on so many older people - including people like me who were never fat before "life happened". (For me 14 years ago). That's a LOT of weight for old knees to carry.

What I DO do is use my Bowflex to approximate a squat using resistance. I use the band around my shoulder area, lean backwards (the band holds me up), and do semi-inclined squat equivalents. It's still not quite a squat. My knees just can't bend that far because of interfering fat. It's a matter of body physics.

Am I missing something?

You aren't missing something, I just wouldn't want you limiting yourself based on your weight.

I weighed 125kg when I first started, and I beleived I couldn't do loads of things I COULD actually do, but was too scared to try.

I also have a bad knee, so I don't squat *kitten* to grass as the other ladies are talking about, but I do squat past parallel and HEAVY.

You could perhaps try squatting 'sumo' style, with your feet further apart to allow extra space for your tummy, try it using your bench for support and see if your knees allow it, I found it helped me when my body (belly/boobs) got in the way.

The other thing that I found helped was doing squats and lunges suspended on the TRX system, which I suspect is similar to how you are doing them with the bow flex.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i also don't get the "i'm too heavy for squats" thing- esp for OP who is only like 155lbs or so.

Squats and deadlifts make a booty happy.

I can only imagine that OP doesn't know what we mean by "squats" (or OP has a specific injury limiting ability to squat)? Here's a link about the exercise we are talking about:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBFullSquat.html

Here's one on deadlifts:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can't really grow your butt muscle much while on a diet. BUT it's important to preserve it as much as possible while you lose. Heavy lifting is key. Squats, lunges, deadlifting all with weights. Make sure you get adequate protein intake (1 gram for every pound of lean body weight) as well.

Once you are done with dieting if you still feel your butt is lacking you can continue lifting weights but eating at a slight surplus to gain muscle (and sadly the fat that comes with it). Then diet again when you feel you've gained enough.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yoga! and a bit of squats and lunges.
  • goodarzi
    goodarzi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is my problem area as well. I've been doing a lot of leg machines at the gym and they have a few that target the glutes area specifically, and now squats & lunges as well. They have this thing at the gym for weighted lunges--but I don't seem to be very coordinated to do it. ;-)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and GHR's
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats, lunges, deadlifts, and step-ups