billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Well, would you put this in your mouth?

l.jpg

Yeah, I would too. Just eat them!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Friend... work them into your calories. I usually have about 4-5/week. Not only are they filling, but they also kill my sweet tooth cravings. :)
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    sharing helps, me and the man beast split one almost everytime. :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of bananas and you can see how successful I have been. I eat as many fruits and veggies as I want and do not count calories anymore. It works for me.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Bananas tend to be around 70-100 cals, how is that a lot of calories?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana most days.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you weight them. I estimated mine to be "medium" bananas (about 100 calories), but it turns out that I've been eating medium-large or large bananas (150-200 calories).

This! I love bananas too...eat one almost every day..sometimes two :) But I definitely weigh them since some can be closer to 100 calories and others closer to 200 calories...just assuming it's "medium" based on how it looks is a bit too subjective. Eat up and enjoy!!
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Every fresh food offers some portion of our daily requirements, however: I am sensitive to bananas and do not digest them well. So for me they are bad, bad food. Sometimes these sensitivities run in families, so ask around if you have suspicions about how you feel after you eat certain foods. My sister, daughter, niece and cousin all tested sensitive to "healthy" bananas. Go figure!
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just had a banana and they are great. So what, they are "high" in calories, everything we eat have calories. Just work into your calories goal.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    High calorie? How is 110-120 considered high calories? Thats a perfect sized snack.

check the database a little further, I find bananas are about 100 cals...

and to the OP, I eat sometimes 2 per day...I keep them and avacados in the house at all times...and eat them whenever I feel like a snack...I don't think you should limit either of these...they are much healthier than a pale lettuce salad, for sure...and fill you up with healthy nutrients...and besides, you really need the potassium....stress can diminish some of the potassium in our body...

either of these I just split open and eat without adding anything...ENJOY
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am one of those that can't stand them! They give me really bad indigestion for at least 3 days if I get one.
    I have avoided them for years now. I can't have a smoothie as they always use banana for thickening. And it's all I can taste.
    I cannot stomach banana flavoured things either as they remind me too much of the unpleasant feelings the real thing gives me.

Wish I could find a good alternative...
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Foe, they are talking about you around your back.
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 a day and still lose weight so it depends on your body chemistry.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am one of those that can't stand them! They give me really bad indigestion for at least 3 days if I get one.
    I have avoided them for years now. I can't have a smoothie as they always use banana for thickening. And it's all I can taste.
    I cannot stomach banana flavoured things either as they remind me too much of the unpleasant feelings the real thing gives me.

Wish I could find a good alternative...

You don't need a banana to make a thick smoothie. I just use berries, ice cubes, a little peanutbutter (a lot of people I know use yogurt instead, but I hate the taste of yogurt in smoothies), and almond milk and mine is thick like a milkshake. The key to making it really thick is the ice, I think. I use about 8 cubes. Some people add xanthan gum or guar gum to make theirs really thick and creamy.
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    High calorie? How is 110-120 considered high calories? Thats a perfect sized snack.

This.
  • DepauvilleKid
    Options
    Bananas and Peanut Butter on whole wheat toast is my favorite flavor combination. When I was losing the weight, those items were too calorie dense for me. Now that I am maintaining, they help me keep my calories up where they need to be. I was eating to few calories for a while, it was hard to snap out of diet mode. They help me maintain my calories in a healthy way. So, calorie dense doesn't mean unhealthy.

If you're wondering... it's Arnold Double Fiber Whole Wheat Toast, a medium Banana, and Organic Peanut Butter (the kind you have to stir).
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I almost always have at least one banana per day, and more often than not 2 per day. I eat one in my smoothie, like you, and then one for lunch. It being 2 serving of fruit makes sense, which means I get from 5 to 8 servings of fruit per day. Now, to work on higher veggie consumption!! When I cook, which I have been lately, I use a ton of veggies. But they are all cooked down, and rarely raw. I need to get into salads! The thing about salads is that you can't prep a week or two's worth at a time, which makes them so much more work. =(
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Banana = good
    Banana + PB2 = FANTASTIC!!!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If you're not dietetic and have no other healthy reasons as to why you can't eat them, then eat them. It's fruit for goodness sake.