Cyclists?

Options
I'm looking for other cyclists to buddy up with. I used to be quite the avid cyclists, doing a few century rides a year, and a ton of charity rides, but then life got in the way. I want this year to be different!! Yes, I logged a few hundred miles last year, but nothing like I used to do, and I've found that I REALLY miss cycling several times a week. Any other cyclists want to be my friend? :)

Replies

• chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I took up cycling in August last year as low impact option for weight loss. I currently ride 4 times a week usually totalling around 60 miles. I'm riding on tarmac on a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid and really enjoying the exercise. Looking forward to the spring though as I'm exercising regardless of weather and the last 6 weeks have been character building!

Feel free to add me.

Chris
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started cycling too. Nothing major, I have buily myself up to riding for at least an hour 4-5 times a week. So far so good!
  • infuzaro
    Options
    I returned to cycling a few years ago in a big way after many, many years off the bike. Its been fantastic! I started with a clunky old hybrid, barely able to pedal around the block. By the end of last year, I had finished a couple centuries! I'm down to 210 from 245. I'm looking to get down to 180. Now I have 6 bikes and enjoy road and mountain biking! I try to get out a few times per week but it's cold and snowy up here in Massachusetts so most of my cycling lately is on the indoor trainer. Just discovered High Intensity Interval Training - yeah, it's INTENSE! Good luck on your journey!
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cycling for the fun and exercise. A fellow Hoosier I see, I have rode in the Indy nite Ride about 7 times and several fund raising rides as well around Indiana. Friend me if you like.
    Steve
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tend to be more of a mountain biker. Even though we really don't have "mountains" in Iowa. But really a fan of any cyclist. Always can have more cyclist friends especially on MFP so anyone feel free to add me.
  • DulcimerGuy
    DulcimerGuy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Steve. I've ridden the nite ride several times, and it's always a hoot! It's been voted "The Best Ride in America" for several years, and it's well deserved!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I ride once in a while.

Welcome!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    (Waves to Steve:) I'm more of a mountain biker myself, though technically I've only been riding trails in a nearby park. I've been working in the gym to increase my endurance and strength for those hill climbs. I try to ride 400+ miles a month, working on increasing that too. I rode outside until the end of November and the combination of wind chill and (high) 20 some degree days got the best of me.

And I have a bike I've had for ages, a Schwinn Frontier FS (before they sold out).
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I ride once in a while.

Welcome!

Haha!

Welcome, there is a fun group of folks on here of all riding levels. Snow puts up some fun monthly challenges and BigYin has some awesome Tour Challenges. Feel free to add, can't wait to see you around.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Avid cyclist here. I started a year and a half ago (around the same time I joined MFP). I have 8 centuries under my belt to date (all in the South East as I live in Birmingham, AL). This past year has been about surviving. This upcoming year I hope to advance in my riding. MFP and riding have helped me drop approximately 20 lbs; at least another 20 to go -- if I plan to get serious on the climbs.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I ride once in a while.

Welcome!

Haha! ...

Lol - I was thinking the same thing
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Cycling is my passion. When I was younger it was my transportation, when I lived abroad it was my transportation. Then I lost connection with my bike. About 7 years ago I decided to do a triathlon and I rediscovered my bike. I completed that triathlon plus 6 more, but now I ride. I ride for pleasure. I most enjoy long distance riding, I'm not into speed, but I get on my bike and ride until I have to stop. Once a year I do a 500 mile ride over 7 days. In the spring, summer and fall I generally ride 4-5 days a week. In the winter I spin and catch a ride on those days the temperature gets up to at least 50 degrees. Please add me if you like.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Would always love more biking buddies, even virtually! Add me if you feel like it :)
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, like many of these fine MFP folks, I also have done a fair amount of cycling although my riding is largely based in the Pacific NW of the US. Always looking to interact with other cyclists. I do a fair amount of ride leading for a local club focusing on developmental/training rides for riders of a wide range of capabilities and goals! Welcome to the ever growing "club" of active cyclists here on MFP.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    I am a cyclist. I just found my love for it again this year after a 6 year lay off. I've been riding since 1992.
    but, I am in NYC.

But anyone in the area is welcomed to add me and come on some of my 40 to 50+ mile rides saturday rides during the spring summer and fall.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    We have a Strava group for MFP also: http://app.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal-6532
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    (Waves to Steve:) I'm more of a mountain biker myself, though technically I've only been riding trails in a nearby park. I've been working in the gym to increase my endurance and strength for those hill climbs. I try to ride 400+ miles a month, working on increasing that too. I rode outside until the end of November and the combination of wind chill and (high) 20 some degree days got the best of me.

And I have a bike I've had for ages, a Schwinn Frontier FS (before they sold out).

(Waves back to Denise) That is awesome I raced BMX some a s a kid until I figured out all my friends were playing ball and bat sports. I have always enjoyed riding my bike. I got back into cycling about 3 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I have a few singletrack trail systems that are within 30 minutes of my house and 1 that is withing 5 minutes. I try to ride a few times a week and during the winter have been taking some spin classes. I have a few bikes. A Niner Air 9 and a Redline Moncog and a list a mile long of the bikes I would like to own some day. It is really great to see all the people that enjoy cycling as much as I do.
  • Bagtown
    Bagtown Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm just getting into it a bit more also. Just got my first Road Bike this year and have really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to a few century rides this spring in getting prepared for RAGBRAI here in Iowa. I have one under my belt so far indoors and am looking to get outdoors. Feel free to add me and if anyone out there has been on RAGBRAI and can give me a few pointers I'd love it. I have driven for a group once, so I know about the parties but I have never done it on a bike.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It's my off season right now but I do plenty of cycling in the proper weather. Welcome!
  • brits111383
    Options
    I love cycling! I finally transitioned off of a client project in which I couldn't make my weekday rides, so I'm starting back up! Yesterday was my first weekday ride in a while, and I was pretty slow, but I think I'll be back to where I was with a little time. I need to get back in the saddle because this is my second year racing and I'd like to make some progress! :)