Older and struggling to lose

Options
12346»

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    why cant i just drink beer, eat pizza and look good. shouldnt it be that simple?

I was going with rum and cheesecake... But beer and pizza should work, too.

If it within in your calorie limits and fits your macros ---- go for it.

This is all about learning to make choices that you can live with for the rest of your life. Learning the proper portion size of ALL the foods you eat means you can have your "favorites" just not as often or as much.

To the OP - your still a youngster! If I can do it at 60 - you can too. This is not a diet but a life change. Be patient - use the tools that are available - check out these links - lots of good info

Don't eat less that your BMR or more than you TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map

Add strength training -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

plan on adding cardio gradually so you can build to your goal - lots of plans out there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Find Groups for support - just one example I'm sure there are more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/837-40-50-but-younger-next-year

Take it one step at a time - log your food and see where you stand, then each week change one thing - slowly build in your exercise.
    Don't look at the final goal - break things down into smaller pieces. - do it 5 pounds at a time. Be sure to take your measurements and take photos - you can frequently see shape changes before the scale moves much!
    Slow and steady and before you know it you will be there!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What all the others have said is essential. The older you are, the more you need to concentrate on fitness and health. Forget the scale---get a body fat caliper (about $20 online). This will allow you to track your progress as you a.) build muscle and b.) drop your body fat percentage. My body fat was about 50% when I started (morbidly obese). I am small of stature and frame and until I started exercising, I didn't realize that my muscles had been replaced by fat! The scale said that I had only gained ten pounds over ten years BUT my clothing size told a different story. I lied to myself and said, "Well, I just feel more comfortable in bigger clothing than when I was younger."

I was actually only eating about 1200 calories a day when I started (worked just fine to maintain my fat stores). Now I eat in the range of 1600 calories and I am still continuing to lose body fat (while I build muscle with water exercise and weight lifting). I have lost about 50 pounds over two years (slow and steady is MUCH better than rapid weight loss, as the more rapidly you lose, the more likely you are to lose lean muscle tissue). My posture is much better, I have vastly more energy and endurance, and many of my ailments (high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and osteoarthritis) have disappeared or diminished significantly. I have gone from a woman's size 22 to a 16 in jeans (and even those are starting to be loose around the waist---I've lost almost 8 inches off my waist). If I can do it, you can definitely do it.
  • bsgordon
    bsgordon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am over 50. Two years ago I used MyFitnessPal to track calories/activity and had great success. I was within 4 lb of my 20 lb weight loss goal. My job was eliminated. Fortunately/Unfortunately I have only put on 10 of the 16 lbs I lost. However, my new job is very confining, mostly sitting, and longer hours. My entire lifestyle has changed. I am struggling but determined to make the time to get my self back on track.

I have learned over the years that yoga and walking are the two activities that I love to do and I will stay with. My mat is back out and the treadmill is an additional piece of furniture in the living room.

I am learning to be more forgiving of myself and accepting of the fact that life happens and interferes in the best laid plans. What is important is my determination that I will achieve my goal. It may take longer than I want but that is OK as long as I achieve. I am determined to take life one day at a time and not let the setbacks defeat my attitude.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I turn 60 in a couple of weeks and I'd also say "forget the scale". I rarely weigh myself- I get too obsessed with the daily ups and downs and for me, it was counter-productive. I know how I'm doing by how my clothes fit, and now I'm in the "great problem to have" situation where I'm wondering if I should have all my pants taken in. (They're expensive pants and the tailor has tactfully warned me that once you take them in you have to be careful not to regain weight- it will strain the seams.) The loss was slow and steady over a couple of years.

I live in the Midwest and don't like to exercise outdoors in very cold weather- I had pneumonia about 20 years ago and I'm just getting over a nasty cold. Fortunately, I have a gym at work and also joined an inexpensive one at a community center nearby. I get a much better workout when the air is a reasonable temoerature and I'm not dodging traffic, although I do like a long ride on the bicycle path in nice weather. Remember that exercise is one way to help you through the emotional doldrums that hit during those short days/long nights.

One thing that really helped me was a heart rate monitor although they're expensive and I've had problems with intermittent failures- it tells me my heart rate is zero or it "sticks" at one rate even though I've stepped up my workout. Still, it's gotten me more conscious of when I'm really pushing myself in a healthy way. I burn up 400-500 calories a day in my workouts- that's good for a little indulgence once in awhile! I have a pack of Zingers waiting i the closet for a special occasion although 99% of the time my diet is fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and low on sugar (especialloy high-fructose corn syrup).
  • bsgordon
    bsgordon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you aroundthemulberrybush! Your words gave me a great boost for the day!:flowerforyou:
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and it's -24C here this morning.

I've been faithfully logging food here since August (buying a scale and using it for everything was the best advice I ever got on this site) and now that I've established better eating habits, I am stepping up the exercise with a fitbit.

Feel free to add me.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    why cant i just drink beer, eat pizza and look good. shouldnt it be that simple?

I was going with rum and cheesecake... But beer and pizza should work, too.

If it within in your calorie limits and fits your macros ---- go for it.

This is all about learning to make choices that you can live with for the rest of your life. Learning the proper portion size of ALL the foods you eat means you can have your "favorites" just not as often or as much.

To the OP - your still a youngster! If I can do it at 60 - you can too. This is not a diet but a life change. Be patient - use the tools that are available - check out these links - lots of good info

Don't eat less that your BMR or more than you TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map

Add strength training -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

plan on adding cardio gradually so you can build to your goal - lots of plans out there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Find Groups for support - just one example I'm sure there are more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/837-40-50-but-younger-next-year

Take it one step at a time - log your food and see where you stand, then each week change one thing - slowly build in your exercise.
    Don't look at the final goal - break things down into smaller pieces. - do it 5 pounds at a time. Be sure to take your measurements and take photos - you can frequently see shape changes before the scale moves much!
    Slow and steady and before you know it you will be there!

This is great advice!
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    Hi Older and struggling!
    I know exactly what you are talking about! I am 47 and live in the northeast. The temps outside are absolutely chilling this week! Luckily, I was just given a treadmill and with spring looming, it has revamped my goal to get healthy once again. I have also been walking at our local mall after my kidlets are in school. Hopefully it will be enough to get the weight loss jump started! I just found this site and hope to use it as fully as possible! Seems pretty simple so far! I was using a different site that also helped track what you ate and how much you exercised, but it hasn't given me much help. It was rather difficult to follow and sometimes confusing. I seem to take a little weight off during the week, only to plunk it back on over the weekend when all my family is here. I am hoping to find some recipes that will give me the low cal, low fat I am looking for and yet satisfy my meat and potatoes man. (Who ironically, doesn't have even half as much to lose as I do! Figures! lol) I have been struggling with my weight for the last 10 years since my 2nd daughter was born. Before that, I barely tipped the scales at 120. Here's hoping this year is the year I finally get into at least a size 12! I wish you the best of luck with your journey too! I'm not quite sure yet how messages and such work on this site, but if you ever want to just write out the day's struggles and triumphs .. I love to read and will gladly write you back. Many Blessings and Good Luck to you! ~Susie
  • SHERIA7020
    Options
    Hello. I am 45 and started in 01/7/2013. It's time for me to lose the weight and eat healthier. I have found that logging my food everyday does help. I am still struggling to get motivated to exercise at least 3 times a week. But reading different post and seeing their success it helping.
  • Annabelle555
    Annabelle555 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 57 and there's snow in CT. Until I had kids, I weighed around 120 and eat what I wanted. I'm very goal oriented in my work, but this work of losing weight . . . well, I'm not there yet and this site does help. Would like to be in touch with others in the same boat.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. See user ID....it's pretty darn cold here. See my ticker below...it CAN be done. xoxo
  • rafiki2013
    rafiki2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not sure good or bad but i fit all criteria lol. More friends the better, i really like mfp. I would lovemto have more friends!
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I so hear you. I am 45, turning 46 in March and I always thought that getting heavier was just an age thing. I am trying hard to get back in control and it is not easy. This is especially true living in Canada and hating the winter. I tend to hibernate. Please feel free to add me and comment on my diary. I need that type of support too.....
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Hey! I'm 54, I don't live in the cold north but the sunny south! It's a little easier to exercise all winter here in Georgia. I have been on since July of 2012 and have lost 40 lbs. I lost about 20 (lost 40 gained 20 back) before I joined. The food and exercise logging keeps me honest and I have been on maintenance since first of December. Add me if you need encouragement. I comment on all my friends but only have about 3 or 4 that rountinely encourage me. Everyone can use a "good job" now and then.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat....lose pound put 2 back on....it takes dedication and hard work...ain't as easy as it used to be :cry:
  • kathy41017
    Options
    I am 49 years old, living in the Cincinnati area. As my age creeps up, so has my weight. I have put on about 10 lbs in the past 3 years. After we relocated here 3 years ago, I left behind so many friends where we lived for 16 years and starting over is challenging. My support system I had before is now in a different time zone, 3 states away.

Fortunately, my weight loss goals are small compared to some folks struggling with losing more. But, my desire to lose weight is still there and I am motivated to feel better about myself.

I am a regular exerciser. I belong to a gym, which I attend regularly, and I teach belly dance classes. I am a Certified Athletic Trainer (which is not the same thing as a personal trainer). My background is sports medicine, taking care of injured athletes. I am a certified group fitness instructor. You'd think with all that losing weight would be easy, but I like to eat! I enjoy food.
  • Sharonsoars
    Options
    Hi there! I am 58 and am releasing the cycle of losing and gaining 10 pounds. My goal is to let go of 20, permanently and to see how I feel there. This is weight I have carried for 19 years (since my son was born)! I am looking forward to my clothes fitting better and getting stronger too. I live in the Rockies at 8000 feet and love to walk outside, but the ice and wind keep me in a lot so I have choices inside too, yoga, rebounder, exercise ball, jump rope and weights. I am drawn to intermittent fasting and enjoyed this recent article from Dr Mercola.
    http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/01/18/intermittent-fasting-approach.aspx?e_cid=20130118_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130118
    Hope you like it.
    Best of luck, we can do this!
  • emoyap
    emoyap Posts: 12
    Options
    I understand...I am in my sixties and have just been in hospital for the second time in two months and my weight shot up....due to water retention I am told! but hey I am NOTngiving up! Keep trying its worth it.