I don't want to eat up my calories burned from working out

Options
I'M BRINGING UP THIS TOPIC B/C A FEW PEOPLE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED THAT I'M "STARVING" MY BODY B/C I'M NOT EATING UP MY WORKOUT CALORIES. I KNOW THAT THE "BEST" WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF IS TO ONLY LOSE 1-2 LBS A WEEK (500 CAL DEFICIT/DAY). I ALSO KNOW THAT WEIGHT LOSS IS A SIMPLE EQUATION. YOU HAVE TO CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT! YOU CAN DO THIS BY LOWERING YOU CALORIES/INCREASING YOUR WORKOUT. MY QUESTION IS, IF I BUST MY HUMP BURNING AN EXTRA 700 CALORIES WHY WOULD I WANT TO EAT THOSE CALORIES? I DON'T THINK ANYONE WAS BEING MEAN ONLY CONCERNED. I HAVE ALSO TALKED TO SEVERAL PPL WHO DON'T EVEN RECORD THEIR CALORIES BURNED FOR THIS REASON. JUST CURIOUS WHAT YOU ALL THINK?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'M BRINGING UP THIS TOPIC B/C A FEW PEOPLE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED THAT I'M "STARVING" MY BODY B/C I'M NOT EATING UP MY WORKOUT CALORIES. I KNOW THAT THE "BEST" WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF IS TO ONLY LOSE 1-2 LBS A WEEK (500 CAL DEFICIT/DAY). I ALSO KNOW THAT WEIGHT LOSS IS A SIMPLE EQUATION. YOU HAVE TO CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT! YOU CAN DO THIS BY LOWERING YOU CALORIES/INCREASING YOUR WORKOUT. MY QUESTION IS, IF I BUST MY HUMP BURNING AN EXTRA 700 CALORIES WHY WOULD I WANT TO EAT THOSE CALORIES? I DON'T THINK ANYONE WAS BEING MEAN ONLY CONCERNED. I HAVE ALSO TALKED TO SEVERAL PPL WHO DON'T EVEN RECORD THEIR CALORIES BURNED FOR THIS REASON. JUST CURIOUS WHAT YOU ALL THINK?

I'm so tired of this topic. My question is why are you yelling. If you don't want to eat them, don't. When you stall, and you probably will, you can post another thread :).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to eventually hit a plateau and become frustrated.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

You must be really frustrated to be yelling so much.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Do what you want. You'll see short-term results and then nothing. I'll be waiting for your next post:

I'M BRINGING UP THIS TOPIC B/C I'M PRETTY CONCERNED THAT I'M NOT LOSING ANY MORE... I SWEAR I'M NOT STARVING MY BODY BUT THE SCALE WON'T GO DOWN. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Then you must be aware that MFP already builds in your 500cal deficit. Right?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    All of the above!
    :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You could just reset your activity level according to how often you work out, probably either lightly or moderately active. MFP will then give you the calories you should be eating and you won't have to deal withh the psychological factor of "eating back" calories burned.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't eat them back then. If you hit a plateau start adding some back.

p.s. (you don't have to read it or reply)
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing - I usually don't eat any of mine back either! Everyone stalls or has a week or so where they didn't get the best results they wanted. I don't necessarily blame this on not eating back exercise calories though. Your body will let you know what it needs - do what you want.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

I'm so tired of this topic. My question is why are you yelling. If you don't want to eat them, don't. When you stall, and you probably will, you can post another thread :).

Ditto. This horse has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten again.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I wish I could get by without eating back my calories. But sadly I work out just so I can eat a little more :wink:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Then don't Shouty McShouterson
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, you are starving your body. You might not be feeling hunger pangs, but the result is the same. You are slowly killing your metabolism this way.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back and it worked out fine for me.
  • philhalsey
    Options

Then don't Shouty McShouterson
  • wowooo
    wowooo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree and I have thought the samething, why work hard and eat back all those calories? I do know why and when I hit a platue I may eat a few of them because this could be a sign of my body going into starvation mode, but most of the time I don't eat back my calories. You just need to know your body and pay attention to the signs. I do not log my workout cal. until after I am done logging all my calorie intake, this way I can see exactly how many calories I can eat. Fitnesspal adds the workout calories because they think you should eat back your calories, again know your body and watch the signs. You are suppose to lose weight even if you don't workout due to your deficit.
  • KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back because I like to EAT!! :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You are free to do anything you want. You can work out every day to the point that you are in the negative for your net cals. People that you have friended have offered their advice. You are free not to follow it. I think this may be the way to respond to people who choose to NOT follow MFP guidelines for how THEIR program is set up.

So go - eat less - work out more - do what you want for this is a free country. You will never need to post this again. If you are reading this and netting below 1000 cals a day - you never have to post this again either.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat them back. Or don't eat them ALL back. I don't. I've consistently lost 64 pounds doing this. I don't do massive work outs like some people here do so I'm not starving after my work outs. I never feel the need to eat more.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I wish I could get by without eating back my calories. But sadly I work out just so I can eat a little more :wink:

This. I love to eat so it motivates me to workout. The calorie deficit is the weight loss. The exercise is for fitness/health reasons and you look better when the weight is gone.
This discussion has been closed.