Is this true, and if so, what do you think?!

Options

Replies

• Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    I don't have an issue with hiring more people as part time, but cutting down full-timers just to avoid providing benefits...that doesn't sit well with me.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with hiring more people as part time, but cutting down full-timers just to avoid providing benefits...that doesn't sit well with me.

Don't eat at a restaurant in 2013 then...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How do you not realize that MOST retail businesses operate like this???
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nope it does not change my mind.

Morality does not coincide with my nutritional needs.

That and the amount of money I have to spend on said nutritional needs. Maybe in the future when I am done my post secondary and have that choice, I will.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Tis very sad how many people are soooo ill informed.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually went there for the first time 2 days ago looking for something specific. They didn't have it. But i bought a few things i needed since i was there. Too expensive, and the ideology there is a bit on the rediculous side. I won't be going back.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    There are LOTS of companies that will be going to 30 hour shifts for employees due to the new health care laws.

This. Thank our government.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Im too much of a liberal political activist to shop at a store run by a bigot. There are alternatives.

edit: A lot of companies do this, thats why we <3 "mom and pop"
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i spend less at the local co-op. i support my neighboring hippies.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    There are LOTS of companies that will be going to 30 hour shifts for employees due to the new health care laws.

Yes. And just how much is the man supposed to pay himself? He did start the company from the ground up... and trust me... he pays out 500 times that in labor!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Not our government - an overall air of corporate greed that has been reaching critical for many years now. The government has actually done some cool things - you know, making child labor illegal, establishing a minimum wage, making sure companies don't dump toxic sludge into your water well.

Unless you're cool with all that. It's not what I'd choose, but hey - to each their own.

The bottom line is when the bottom line is sole profit, everyone but whose on top gets f*cked. There's no need for it. You can still be rich and awesome. Bill Gates proves that.
  • mfoy94
    Options

Not our government - an overall air of corporate greed that has been reaching critical for many years now. The government has actually done some cool things - you know, making child labor illegal, establishing a minimum wage, making sure companies don't dump toxic sludge into your water well.

Unless you're cool with all that. It's not what I'd choose, but hey - to each their own.

The bottom line is when the bottom line is sole profit, everyone but whose on top gets f*cked. There's no need for it. You can still be rich and awesome. Bill Gates proves that.

/this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Actually, most retail and service industry organizations have operated like this for a long time...long before the HCB was ever even a thought.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Health care costs are through the roof and the new requirements from the health care reform have further increased costs and administrative processing for reporting and compliance. That's a lot of expense and extra work for a work force that typically has a high turnover rate. A lot of other retailers have the same policy for employing part-timers for hourly work for this reason.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options

My SO works for Starbucks. He was promoted to shift manager after a year, works full time, has excellent benefits, decent hours, and makes good money. Just because most companies like screwing their workers doesn't mean it's right or unavoidable.
  • mfoy94
    Options
    Health care costs are through the roof and the new requirements from the health care reform have further increased costs and administrative processing for reporting and compliance. That's a lot of expense and extra work for a work force that typically has a high turnover rate. A lot of other retailers have the same policy for employing part-timers for hourly work for this reason.

What a horrible thought, giving people the care they need.....
  • abrewer563
    Options
    The National Labor Relations Act makes it illegal for him to fire anyone for trying to form a union, or for forming one. I doubt this is true because he would most likely be paying more in legal fees and lawsuits than he would if he just gave them a rasie.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

What a horrible thought, giving people the care they need.....

This. It's SUCH a travesty to want working conditions to improve. (Until it starts cutting into the middle class - which it has. I'm surprised as hell that people who are currently experiencing health insurance and job instability problems aren't at all supportive of reform. Maybe they get off on the instability????)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Exactly. The expense has forced the price of health insurance to increase exponentially. Taking a bigger hit on the paycheck. Then, taxes were increased. I'm not saying the companies don't have to be socially responsible, but at some point, it all boils down to find some places to make some cuts or close your doors. That means more unemployment. Why is it so difficult for some to see the cause-and-effect?

Oh... and even if the CEO decided not to pay himself ANYTHING for a year, that $760,000 isn't going to be enough to pay ALL of his employees to be full-time.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    . Why is it so difficult for some to see the cause-and-effect?

Oh... and even if the CEO decided not to pay himself ANYTHING for a year, that $760,000 isn't going to be enough to pay ALL of his employees to be full-time.

That's why reform is needed on a whole scale. It DOES lead to cuts and unemployment. There's got to be a way to set it up so it isn't like that - or at least to soften the blow.

Also, I just find it difficult to work up sympathy for the dude making 760,000 a year taking a 10% paycut verses his under 20,000 a year paid employees. If that paycut at the top of the chain makes it difficult to live, UR DOIN' IT WRONG. Why is it so easy for people to feel for the guy who makes more money?