Is this true, and if so, what do you think?!

Options

Replies

• EstiloPanama
    Options
    ALMOST every rich person at the top of a chain is corrupt. I say almost because there are a few decent people who can handle money and remain humble and down to earth. Money changes people for the worst.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    when are CEO's gonna learn to keep politics out of business?

This... I can agree with. People are already looking to condemn you... why throw fuel on the fire? Companies are going to have start hiring PR people just to handle their CEO's!

And can I just add that by boycotting a company for something their CEO said... you are ALSO hurting all those under-paid people that work for them.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonalds....if I even said the word "union" there they'd probably throw me in the vat.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Nope. There are no Whole Foods in my area. I mostly do my grocery shopping at the local chain grocery store… They started out as one store in my hometown area, and now have 119 locations within NY, VT & I believe MA. I don't know what their stance on unions are (I want to say they don't have unions, at least, I was unaware of any union activity when I worked there as a teen) but they do a boatload of charity work within the communities they serve. And, they have a pretty cool deal with Sonoco gas stations- for every X amount of $ you spend there, you get 10 cents off per gallon at participating stations; I've only found one Sonoco station that did not participate, and that was up in Burlington VT.

I also supplement with the co-op down the road from me, but it's on the expensive side. If I were wealthy, I'd probably do a lot more of my shopping there, cause it's a hugely kickass co-op.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Why is it so easy for people to feel for the guy who makes more money?

Because without THAT GUY none of his employees would have a job. It was HIS hard work that created the business that is now employing them.

that's an assumption.

Perhaps. But it's my honest answer to the question. I don't understand the mentality that attacks prosperity. The idea that if someone has a lot of financial success they are "more fortunate". The word "fortunate" implies that it was luck that gave that person what they have. And in some cases, that's true! Paris Hilton certainly didn't earn all she has, she actually did "luck" into it. However, when discussing CEO's that built their own businesses, and now employ LOTS of people and contribute to society and pay taxes and generate jobs and revenue......I just don't understand all the animosity. Prosperity is GOOD, remember?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores are non-skilled trades with ample amounts of people to employ, and I see no need for them to unionize. If you need higher wages and benefits than the company can afford, you need to find a different job. Unions only get power when the workers have a skill to negotiate with.

Allowing unions and benefits would be a crazy increase of cost for basic food items. This will not benefit anyone BESIDES the workers there. The barely-scraping by families don't need their grocery bill to sky rocket. More people would have to turn to gov't aid which will then be reflected in taxes and we get to pay more of those, too.
    `
    I've worked for a non-unionized small family owned grocer and was treated fine. I applied to a unionized grocer and at the hours that I could work during school (~20/wk) the union dues would be about half my salary.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Prosperity is GOOD, remember?

Prosperity IS good. Very good. It's what drives the best ideals of capitalism. And it's not a bad system - some really great things have come of capitalism. But there's a lot more than hard work that has to happen.

Support systems. What kind of education were you able to recieve? How about being able to support children? Family supports? Medical care? That sort of thing. You CAN build from scratch. It seems cruel to ignore that is much more difficult - if not nearly insurmountable - to do so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Look... I feel very strongly about unions. My father was "possibly" murdered (ruled an accident due to circumstantial evidence) because he joined a union. My cousin has been unemployed for two years and can't support his 4 kids because he is union and no one will hire him. And as wonderful as they sound, union leadership is usually as corrupt as the next crook. If you want unions to fix things, then you are going to have to start by reforming the unions, then enforce stricter laws to form compliance. But realize that no matter what actions are taken to change things, there are going to be some growing pains in the economy that are going to lead to many many more people out of work. It might just be easier to let these businesses grow and allow them the opportunity to choose to do the right thing for their employees on their own rather than forcing them to do it. Your expectations for these companies is unrealistic. If you force them to do more for their employees, and they can't pay for it, then ultimately, the businesses will close and more people will be out of work.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Prosperity IS good. Very good. It's what drives the best ideals of capitalism. And it's not a bad system - some really great things have come of capitalism. But there's a lot more than hard work that has to happen.

Support systems. What kind of education were you able to recieve?

I live in the US. Where we (well, I should qualify.... taxpayers) will pay for an enire college education for ya. In my own case, I never outlaid penny ONE from the time my parents entered me in Kindergarten, until I graduated from a university with a bachelor's degree. I DO have student loans to pay for, but I also have a bachelors degree. Which sure helped me avoid those kinds of jobs where part-time is the best I could hope for.

In other countries, all this education would have had a hefty price tag, right from the start, and would have been reserved for those whose families could afford it. Here, all children are educated at the very least from K-12. Even when they aren't grateful. Even when they have special education challenges. Even when they don't speak English. Even when they hate us for it.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I never shop there or at Trader Joes. Not because I don't like their business models but because I don't like the people i find in the stores near my house.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I live in the US. Where we (well, I should qualify.... taxpayers) will pay for an enire college education for ya. In my own case, I never outlaid penny ONE from the time my parents entered me in Kindergarten, until I graduated from a university with a bachelor's degree. I DO have student loans to pay for, but I also have a bachelors degree. Which sure helped me avoid those kinds of jobs where part-time is the best I could hope for.

In other countries, all this education would have had a hefty price tag, right from the start, and would have been reserved for those whose families could afford it. Here, all children are educated at the very least from K-12. Even when they aren't grateful. Even when they have special education challenges. Even when they don't speak English. Even when they hate us for it.

And you are resentful of all this.....because???

Or should only the "deserved" be given a decent life?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I can't see the original pic...but I can gather what it is about...I support a local family owned chain of grocery stores. They know me, and when I had my identity stolen and had to use starter checks...they honored them because they recognized me...that means a lot to me.

Now...lets talk about walmart...not going in there...ever...no seriously...I've been there..and ever since People of Walmart came out, I'm scared sh******** to go in there...there are some pretty creepy people there.

just saying.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I dont have the time or energy to research every place I buy food/clothes/sex toys to see what their workplace enviroment is like, what their owner spends their money on or their religious/political convictions. As long as I dont get sick, I dont really care that much.
  • aadutton
    Options
    The National Labor Relations Act makes it illegal for him to fire anyone for trying to form a union, or for forming one. I doubt this is true because he would most likely be paying more in legal fees and lawsuits than he would if he just gave them a rasie.

Have none of you ever worked in retail? The National Labor Relations Act is only relevant for certain industries. Retail is not one of them.

Actually retail store employees have every right to unionize if they choose, most companies are anti-union though and try and instill doubt in their employees to keep them from unionizing. This happened with Target in 2011.

Most states are right-to-work. I don't know about yours though. Right-to-work means they can fire you for whatever reason they want so long as they are prepared to pay or fight an unemployment claim.

Right-to-work or employment-at-will certainly does NOT mean they can fire you for whatever reason they want. Many things have been carved out of this general rule...disability, age, sex, religion, etc. In addition, you cannot be fired for engaging in activities protected by the NLRA, such as discussing the formation of union. This does most certainly apply to retail.

ETA: I'm certainly not in favor of retail employees unionizing, just stating the rules.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Support systems. What kind of education were you able to recieve? How about being able to support children? Family supports? Medical care? That sort of thing. You CAN build from scratch. It seems cruel to ignore that is much more difficult - if not nearly insurmountable - to do so.

You know... it would be nice if we could fix the world. But the fact of the matter is there is only so much that can be done before we over-extend ourselves. At this point, that is where a lot of companies are at. The expenses are too high, and you are demanding them to pay even more. There is a concept that I learned in my change management class. Please forgive me, I don't remember what the exact title for it is, but basically, an unstable situtation must be stabilized before it can be changed. Our economy is unstable which means these companies are also unstable. Before you can demand that these companies change the way they expense their labor, the economy is going to have to stabilize. Otherwise, the whole system will collapse.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Resentful!? I don't know how you got that idea.

I'm a teacher. I value and respect education more than anything. It bugs me when people don't use the opportunities we provide to them. I was pointing out how, in my opinion, in the US, we are all on a level playing field when it comes to educational opportunities, and that's why I don't feel sorry for those who refuse to take advantage of them.

You've got bootstraps, the government pays for them. They're called education. Use 'em.

That's what I meant. I'm the opposite of resentful.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    The National Labor Relations Act makes it illegal for him to fire anyone for trying to form a union, or for forming one. I doubt this is true because he would most likely be paying more in legal fees and lawsuits than he would if he just gave them a rasie.

Have none of you ever worked in retail? The National Labor Relations Act is only relevant for certain industries. Retail is not one of them.

Actually retail store employees have every right to unionize if they choose, most companies are anti-union though and try and instill doubt in their employees to keep them from unionizing. This happened with Target in 2011.

Most states are right-to-work. I don't know about yours though. Right-to-work means they can fire you for whatever reason they want so long as they are prepared to pay or fight an unemployment claim.

Right-to-work or employment-at-will certainly does NOT mean they can fire you for whatever reason they want. Many things have been carved out of this general rule...disability, age, sex, religion, etc. In addition, you cannot be fired for engaging in activities protected by the NLRA, such as discussing the formation of union. This does most certainly apply to retail.

ETA: I'm certainly not in favor of retail employees unionizing, just stating the rules.

True. I'm not arguing that. But like someone else also pointed out. Retail is a non-skill trade. There are lots of unemployed people that will gladly take a retail job.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    My husband works in a Kroger warehouse. His union does jack *kitten* for the dues they collect. It concedes whatever the company wants ... the contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

So....if someone needs a job, they'll got to WF and work. And many of us will keep shopping there...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Resentful!? I don't know how you got that idea.

I'm a teacher. I value and respect education more than anything. It bugs me when people don't use the opportunities we provide to them. I was pointing out how, in my opinion, in the US, wea re all on a level playing field when it comes to educational opportunities, and that's why I don't feel sorry for those who refuse to take advantage of them.

You've got bootstraps, the government pays for them. They're called education. Use 'em.

That's what I meant. I'm the opposite of resentful.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is an equal playing field. There is a lot of variations in the quality of education from school system to school system and even from school to school.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I don't know if it's true or not, but considering Texas (where Whole Foods is based) is a right to work state. That does not prohibit employees from forming or joining a union. It does, however, forbid REQUIRING employees to join a union. That being said, it doesn't matter where the company is based, if there is a branch/chain/store location in a Union state, the company has to abide by the rules in that state.

Based on this knowledge, I'm going to conclude that the information is FALSE, and kindly request that people reading this stream take the time to actually think for themselves and not just believe everything they read on the internet.

However, for those of you who do believe everything you read on the internet, I'm 5'8" and weight 135 pounds.